Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I send an email yesterday to Asmus, asking them if they had shipped my expansion head.
Their reply was that its expected to ship in 1-2 weeks.
I guess they shipped 1st the slim version to customers and after they finish with them, they 'll ship the expansion heads.

My reaction to the hs (from what I am seeing so far), is the same when I saw the 1st in-hand pics of the rooted hair version:
wasted money.
Now I will have to find someone to do the rooted hair for the 1st hs.

WOW! It's like they sent you a prototype, work in progress...completely unacceptable.
And looking at all the pics straight out of box I'd hardly call that "hand styled" hair...

for those that got their figure, is one foot longer than the other? seems like mind has that issue

No it's because he has no feet
Just pull the boot down or up
Or do what I'm going to do and put some extra feet on him

My Aragorn "slim" and the exclusive spare head sculpt arrived today.

I haven't had a chance to open up the complete figure but here are a few pics of the exclusive head sculpt. I think it's workable. Just needs some futzing with the hair and some definite touch-up paint on the beard.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Went ahead and opened up the slim figure as well. Don't have time to set him up yet so just some quick pics showing the head sculpt. You be the judge if it looks better than the exclusive sculpt...

6.jpg

7.jpg

Did a quick futzing with the hair and accessories to display the figure, the only thing i hate is the boots, no ankle joints whatsoever and the shoes are hallow inside

But overall ill give it a passing [emoji106]
0812b9428bab00bdedcd60294a7ab1de.jpg

9b1c5f711e6a91f948250ded40e0e6b7.jpg

Now that's a pretty good looking figure! Thank goodness I have a stash of extra HT feet lying around from back in the day, going to have to add them to those boots. But he looks fantastic in your display! Great futzing.

I opened mine and set him up last night and I'm totally happy with him! Looks really nice, hair was easy to make look better, weapons are great, love his ring....just not a fan of the no feet in the boots. The boots are soft enough that if he had feet I think he would have decent ankle articulation

For those who want to add some HT style feet to the boots, it may be easier to fit them inside the boots if you pop off the toe joint. I've done that before with shoes for custom figures when the shoes are a little tight or if the boots are too tall for a full foot to make the turn when you shove it down to the bottom. To pop the toe joint off, I usually use a paperclip to push out the pin in the joint. Hope that helps!

Uh oh... well I can't say I'm surprised.

I knew the real hair would not look a fraction as good as the prototype. What I'm shocked by is the paint.

Asmus has improved in paint a lot lately of you look at guys like The Hangman. But this paint looks almost worse than the original!

Uh oh... well I can't say I'm surprised.

I knew the real hair would not look a fraction as good as the prototype. What I'm shocked by is the paint.

Asmus has improved in paint a lot lately of you look at guys like The Hangman. But this paint looks almost worse than the original!

I didn't know that the original paint was bad? Huh, things you learn on this board.

I didn't know that the original paint was bad? Huh, things you learn on this board.

It was pretty bad yes, almost everyone agreed. and almost every time someone customized this head it was radically changed by paint improvements. Proving that the lack of likeness lied deeply in the paint not the sculpt.

It was super dark and lacked detail and the eyes were sloppy (something Asmus has improved lately as well) also the eyebrows shape and color were totally wrong (looks like that carried forth on this new one too) and the beard growth pattern color and consistency totally inaccurate (looks like they tried to address that here but it just looks really amateurish and unrealistic how it's painted)

Their prototype head was really well done and they mentioned they had taken greater strides to maintain consistency from prototype. Sadly from the pictures I've seen here the hair styling and materials look no more improved from the last few figures they have done nor does the paint.

I'm not surprised, this is why I had no hesitation to rework my original head as opposed to waiting for this new one to drop.

It was pretty bad yes, almost everyone agreed. and almost every time someone customized this head it was radically changed by paint improvements. Proving that the lack of likeness lied deeply in the paint not the sculpt.

It was super dark and lacked detail and the eyes were sloppy (something Asmus has improved lately as well) also the eyebrows shape and color were totally wrong (looks like that carried forth on this new one too) and the beard growth pattern color and consistency totally inaccurate (looks like they tried to address that here but it just looks really amateurish and unrealistic how it's painted)

Their prototype head was really well done and they mentioned they had taken greater strides to maintain consistency from prototype. Sadly from the pictures I've seen here the hair styling and materials look no more improved from the last few figures they have done nor does the paint.

I'm not surprised, this is why I had no hesitation to rework my original head as opposed to waiting for this new one to drop.

I'm wondering, Raymond, as a pro customizer, can you think of any way to remove the eyebrow paint without having to repaint the entire head? I was hoping to leave everything else intact, add some fullness to the beard and maybe reshape those brows with a repaint.

Back