Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm it does look very good in that picture. I'm still not sure if I'll end up canceling or not...

I got my Aragorn last night, have to say I'm pretty pleased overall. There's some pics below of mine (I'm no photographer like Comatoast's beautiful pics above though).

Some thoughts:

- I was shocked at how fast it got here from Asmus - a week total, far less than I anticipated. I was a little worried, because the box was beat to hell, but Asmus wisely double-boxed it, so the figure was in great shape. Have to give them kudos for that.
- Also have to note that I had some Paypal issues with this one (looks like I've been "flagged," because it appears I'm having some issues with Merry and Pippin too, sigh), and Asmus was great about working with me to resolve them. Definitely a pleasure shopping with them.

On to the figure:

- Asmus was right when they said they thought the sculpt was good, but overshadowed by the bad "helmet" on the original release. Here you can really see the likeness to Viggo. There are some odd paint choices, as have been mentioned already - the beard is very simply done, with none of the shading necessary to show off the sculpt, and the eyebrows aren't close to matching the brow line. The skin looks good though. It took only a minute or two to paint in the beard, so no biggie.
- The hair really does feel like it's been dipped in Elmer's glue. Not sure why they did that instead of a good stiff hairspray, but it's ok, I suppose. It does make it harder to futz. Like others suggested, it seems the best option is to push it up from the bottom to make it look less flat. I also pulled out some strands from the front to make them loose. Definitely think it looks better this way, though I may take a second pass after looking at those pics. Looks much better than the previous version.
- The accessories are amazing. The electroplated sword, dagger, and knife look great.
- The hands have been said to be better than the original's. I don't have those to compare, but honestly I'm not impressed with the paintwork on these. The ring has an 'emerald stone' glued into it, which looks nice, but means that it doesn't have the detail it should (the winding snakes). I'd rather have had the detail sculpted than the stone, but YMMV.
- The clothing is great as always from Asmus, but I do find it odd that they heavily weathered the jerkin and jacket, but not the boots or leggings. Makes it look a little off to my eyes. I'll also say that I think the coat is TOO thin - it doesn't have the heft to hang smoothly, but I do appreciate the wire in it that makes for easier posing.
- I added some leftover HT feet into the boots, which make them work a lot better. While I understand cost-cutting, this one is a bit much. It's a small thing that just makes Asmus look cheap and make the figure harder to stand. Odd to me...

I think that's about it. I'd give it a 7/10 as-is. After a little painting, hair futzing, and adding the feet, it goes up to a 9/10...but we shouldn't have to customize a figure right out of the box at this price point IMHO.

I did add my customized sideshow quiver and an extra Legolas cape for the pics below. Enjoy!

IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3239.jpg
IMG_3240.jpg
IMG_3242.jpg
IMG_3244.jpg
IMG_3249.jpg
IMG_3256.jpg

I really wonder if the missing feet were a case of cost cutting or if there was just an oversight at the factory. So bizarre!

Glad he's looking good, though! Looking forward to receiving my upgraded head!

I'd be very interested to see pics of the upgraded hands. Preferably next to the original ones. Wonder if it's worth the effort of trying to track some down.

Just opened mine - beautiful! The hair is styled nicely on mine, and the boots are tight (I have a pair of feet ready, but no need to hurry, as they wouldn't come off even with a pretty strong tug). Even though I have the original release, and ordered just a replacement head for it (which I have yet to receive), I'm glad I bought a complete slim version as well. Besides, I'm also getting complete slim updates for the 4 hobbits, and I ordered both versions of Boromir, so all I need are a second Legolas, another GtG (maybe an updated slim release?), and two Gimlis and I can display two complete Fellowship groupings. Great job, Asmus!

I think they were from a generic style body, I actually cut the toes off the feet and narrowed them a bit....you gotta shove pretty hard to get them in the boots. Heating the boots first would probably make it way easier

Jokes, those pouches on the belt? They aren't removable....I put the belt on the same as everyone else I think.

Pianoteam man sorry you feel that way, I think if you had it in hand you'd be happy...I think it's better than my aci and I love that figure too

Back