Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do asmus have the aci in hand now? That can only be good for ideas. I totaly agree with Bucky regards the likeness specifics

Asmus is actually asking for comments, so it's much more important to give constructive, applicable feedback rather than just over-the-top superlatives either positive or negative.

I agree.

But I have no skills in Photoshop and I believe the changes are so subtle at this point that I would simply sound like I'm repeating many of the other constructive comments mentioned earlier. Those tweaks and more accurate paintwork and I think we'll have a solid Aragorn.

A picture or two of the headsculpt in other light conditions than harsh overhead would be helpful for further comments.

Besides the shape of GTWs head i always thought the sculpt and paint were pretty good and from reading Wor-Gars review of Eowyns costume it sounds like a lot of improvements have been made so if Asmus gets these two things right with Aragorn we could have a pretty solid figure at a great price. Remember they have said its their most important figure to date so I'm sure they want to do well. My concern is with the body, they need to fix its weak points.

I agree.

But I have no skills in Photoshop and I believe the changes are so subtle at this point that I would simply sound like I'm repeating many of the other constructive comments mentioned earlier. Those tweaks and more accurate paintwork and I think we'll have a solid Aragorn.

A picture or two of the headsculpt in other light conditions than harsh overhead would be helpful for further comments.

Yes, the better the pics, the better the feedback.

For me, the bridge of the nose is slightly too narrow, and the eyes too close together. The hoods of the eyes are slightly too droopy also. A little bulk shaved off the cheekbones too perhaps.

We can be disappointed with certain things, but constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement win the day. There is another 1/6 figure manufacturer that makes some of the highest quality, most accurate figures around, and has given notice that they are gone by the end of the year because of constant complaints.

I hope that's not KP you're talking about 😳

I think the main issue I see now is the hair is very flat and (like Gandalf's bear) way to wavy and textured. Try to get more flow to the waves of his hair and and a bit of body and it should be good. Right now, the head looks a bit squashed from the hair.

Face looks good, just needs to be framed correctly by the hair.

I think he's talking about iminime.
Yes, Iminime. It's a real shame because it's gotten to the point where even 98-99% isn't good enough anymore. If there is a wrinkle in the wrong place, people go off the deep end. That's not to say that we shouldn't point things out, especially if the company is asking for input, but let's not be rude. We are talking about 1/6 scale here. Some of the best sculptors out there took time to get to that point. Not everyone can be a well seasoned Trevor Grove right out of the box.

Yes, Iminime. It's a real shame because it's gotten to the point where even 98-99% isn't good enough anymore. If there is a wrinkle in the wrong place, people go off the deep end. That's not to say that we shouldn't point things out, especially if the company is asking for input, but let's not be rude. We are talking about 1/6 scale here. Some of the best sculptors out there took time to get to that point. Not everyone can be a well seasoned Trevor Grove right out of the box.

Rep'd! Good post.

So I'm curious what happened between the last unpainted sculpt that we saw -- which looked really good -- and the painted one we just saw recently. If they are the same sculpt, why do they appear so different? Is it really just the paintwork?

Paintwork, lighting, focus of the camera... it can all mess up an otherwise good looking sculpt. The last unpainted sculpt looked very good, but the painted examples look odd.

I assume it's the same sculpt, but it's hard to tell.

That overly speckled paint job makes it hard for me to tell, but I don't think they're the same.

Here's HYMN's post from a few pages back with a side-by-side:

I was very disappointed with ACI version because of it's hair. But the face sculpt ot ACI version is much more better. I'm sorry to say that but this one does not look like Viggo Mortensen.

Not too hard to say:

There's a huge difference between 2 sculpts. Both belongs to Asmus.

Even with a big nose, right one looks more like Viggo Mortensen. Because the face propotions are correct (especially chin, lips, beard and eyes). But the right one has nothing correct except the nose.

And as I said before, Asmus must think to hire a new paint artist.

Personally, I think the current proto is workable with a few fixes. (And it looks pretty good from other angles.) But that unpainted sculpt on the right does look better to my eye.

I think both ACI and Asmus are struggling with the forehead... it just looks massive on both figures and both have kind of weird looking wrinkling to the sculpts. I dunno, I'm not really confident that I'll be thrilled with either.

ACI looks great overall, but that head just looks off to me.

They have had endless comments to lower the forehead / hair line, just read page 1 lol. Some things dont change

There are definitely some subtle differences between the two sculpts. Are they two completely different sculpts or is one a tweak of the other? Hard to say. There is definitely some variation in the hair detail and the eyes on the unpainted one seem to have less upper eye lid making the eyeballs look bigger and better imo. The easiest difference to see is the lines on the forehead. The unpainted head just has some long mostly straight lines stretching all the way across. The painted head has three closely packed curved lines over the left eye. Don't think that detail amounts to a hill of beans, but I do think the seemingly bigger eyes of the unpainted head gives it a better overall appearance. Would like to hear what Asmus says about the two sculpts, and if getting the unpainted sculpt painted is possible if it is different.

If those little chunks of bangs were lengthened strands that covered the face it would go a long way with likeness.

Back