Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No apologies necessary...I posted it because I needed to defend a great sculpt....credit is due where credit is due, and all those ACI fanboys defending their purchases when Asmus' sculpt makes theirs look like...well, a toy. Don't get me wrong, I think ACI did a great job...I just think Asmus did a greater one.

Apologize for stealing the pic, I just had to post it here. It really looks outstanding next to the screen grab. Can you believe some of the negative comments on FB about this?

Hmmm... Heads are off. Close but off.

Clothing and accessories look GREAT.

Glad to see they remembered the little hunting knife in his scabbard.

A few things missing:
I can't see the little sharpening stone and the tobacco pouch on his belt.

Also it would have been nice to have the red shirt, and the Ranger cloak and Andùril, but they're just little nitpicky things.

Overall looks quite nice.

Also, just as a heads up Asmus, the pipe isn't listed in the specs.

The regular HS is pretty darn good.

It really looks outstanding next to the screen grab. Can you believe some of the negative comments on FB about this?

I must be looking at a different figure.

To say how nit picky we normally are, this figure is getting a lot of praise.

If Hot Toys' name was on those spec photos and not Asmus, everyone would be rioting.

The headsculpt looks malformed.

It seems that, because we are used to Asmus offering figures that are less accurate and of lower quality, we've come to accept
sub-par final products - and they know they can get away with it because they really don't have much competition. If ACI still had the licence and their Aragorn wasn't limited and still available to buy at retail, this Asmus figure wouldn't be given a second thought.

If Hot Toys' name was on those spec photos and not Asmus, everyone would be rioting.

It seems that, because we are used to Asmus offering figures that are less accurate and of lower quality, we've come to accept
sub-par final products - and they know they can get away with it because they really don't have much competition. If ACI still had the licence and their Aragorn wasn't limited and still available to buy at retail, this Asmus figure wouldn't be given a second thought.

Please, not everybody was in love with ACI's Aragorn. I would still choose Asmus, even if the other one was still available.

I'm having the opposite feeling: If the ACI didn't cost more than Asmus and wasn't sold out everywhere we wouldn't be reading some of the stuff that is on FB.

I'm getting the Asmus because I'm not completely satisfied by the ACI (mostly on headsculpt+hair territory to be honest), which can be nitpicked to death too if we are looking for accuracy.

I don't even see where you are getting that the head sculpt is misshapened? Straight up, if the ACI one and the Asmus one were the exact same price, and for sale side by side, i would pick the Asmus one. I think it looks better. i've seen some really good pics of the ACI one and some really bad one. Very few people in my opinion have done a good job with the hair. what's funny is, the people who are posting pics of ACI's on FB saying this is what Aragorn should look like? Their pictures are awful. He looks like a Tonner offering.

Asmus, just curious:
What does the grey shirt underneath look like - as far as details. Do you have photos, or can produce photos of it? Would love to see! :)
So excited about all the details shared thus far, and the images! You've done a great job - persevering the suggestions, criticisms and all with humbleness and class! Cheers!

Asmus, just curious:
What does the grey shirt underneath look like - as far as details. Do you have photos, or can produce photos of it? Would love to see! :)
So excited about all the details shared thus far, and the images! You've done a great job - persevering the suggestions, criticisms and all with humbleness and class! Cheers!

I will say that ACIs undershirt looks awesome. Hopefully Asmus' is just as nice. I hope they didn't go the same route that SST did with their Aragorn.

I will say that ACIs undershirt looks awesome. Hopefully Asmus' is just as nice. I hope they didn't go the same route that SST did with their Aragorn.
Agreed, Hoo. But you know, even if they did go that route, it's not a deal breaker for me personally. He's awesome fully geared. :)

I think to some degree you might be right.

Not the malformed part, but there is a degree of lower expectations for a young, start-up company. Though I'm not certain the first Keaton head HT showed was any closer to the source than this Viggo head is from Asmus. Also, a different "style" can be acceptable as long as it remains consistent within the line. There is no perfect likeness -- HT has come close from time to time, but I believe distance and time will prove that wrong too. Their Star Wars line is off on every likeness so far, but it is at least consistent and close enough for me to want them. Same could be said here.

I can't truly compare the ACI as I don't have it in hand, but it looks like a fantastic figure overall. Anyone who has it should be very happy. I decided to stick with Asmus -- and consistency -- and wait to see what they offered, and I'm very happy with the end result. Is it perfect? No. Is the ACI? No. Which is better? That's an impossible debate.

But I must say, Gandalf -- which is the only figure that is comparable to a previous version -- is amazing in hand and near HT quality. Seriously. Now the pictures would not have lead on to that -- mostly because of the squished head which was simply fixed by pushing the plug all the way into the head. These Asmus figures are definitely better in hand -- most figures are -- but they don't always come across from their darkly lit and often too-few pictures.

Last edited:
Is it perfect? No. Is the ACI? No. Which is better? That's an impossible debate.

I agree...I'm very happy with my ACI version, but there are things I like about this one too.

...mostly because of the squished head which was simply fixed by pushing the plug all the way into the head.

Any pics of that? I'd love to see it (but am too lazy to dig through the Gandalf thread to find it)

I think to some degree you might be right.

Not the malformed part, but there is a degree of lower expectations for a young, start-up company.

Asmus is not a "young, start-up company"

The reality of the situation is that Asmus has been around just as long as ACI has, or longer, but Asmus' lack of polished sculpting skills and amateur style of product presentation leads the community to believe they have a lack of experience. Meanwhile, ACI is producing professional-level products where the expectations are higher, and people are being unfairly critical of them.

These Asmus threads feel like bizarro world. Their products have physical problems with them, the Ringwraith has loose joints, the Gothmog headsculpt was completely off-model, the Gandalf head was deformed in production, Eowyn's hair was even more unruly than Aragorn's. . . but no one is largely upset with these issues. Meanwhile, ACI's figures really have nothing wrong with them.

It's like when your kid bakes a cake and forgets the sugar, and you have to lie and say "Oh, yeah, Timmy this cake is great". But when your co-worker buys a chocolate cake from a bakery and shares it with the office, but it has the raspberry filling in it and you say "Eww gross, this cake is awful."

The reality of the situation is that the professionally made cake is a better cake, you just don't like the taste of it. It's a personal preference thing. Meanwhile, your kid's cake is actually a poorly made cake that has problems, but you have to accept it because he doesn't know any better.

No one wants to hurt Asmus' feelings because they appear to not know any better, because they appear to be inexperienced. . . but that same guarded criticism is not applied to ACI, because they appear to be a more professional company and should be able to handle that criticism better. It's that double standard.

Asmus is not a "young, start-up company"

The reality of the situation is that Asmus has been around just as long as ACI has, or longer, but Asmus' lack of polished sculpting skills and amateur style of product presentation leads the community to believe they have a lack of experience. Meanwhile, ACI is producing professional-level products where the expectations are higher, and people are being unfairly critical of them.

These Asmus threads feel like bizarro world. Their products have physical problems with them, the Ringwraith has loose joints, the Gothmog headsculpt was completely off-model, the Gandalf head was deformed in production, Eowyn's hair was even more unruly than Aragorn's. . . but no one is largely upset with these issues. Meanwhile, ACI's figures really have nothing wrong with them.

It's like when your kid bakes a cake and forgets the sugar, and you have to lie and say "Oh, yeah, Timmy this cake is great". But when your co-worker buys a chocolate cake from a bakery and shares it with the office, but it has the raspberry filling in it and you say "Eww gross, this cake is awful."

The reality of the situation is that the professionally made cake is a better cake, you just don't like the taste of it. It's a personal preference thing. Meanwhile, your kid's cake is actually a poorly made cake that has problems, but you have to accept it because he doesn't know any better.

No one wants to hurt Asmus' feelings because they appear to not know any better, because they appear to be inexperienced. . . but that same guarded criticism is not applied to ACI, because they appear to be a more professional company and should be able to handle that criticism better. It's that double standard.

Hope you didn't stop reading my post at "start-up". Don't think I was critical at all of ACI. It has to do preferences is all. You can stamp your feet all you want thinking we're insane about our preference. I've seen a lot of people on the boards over time who bash product and when you finally see their own collection its a joke (from a certain point of view).

And I'm not sure how long you think Asmus has been around but several years is not a full-fledged and long-standing company. This is their first official line, so I'd say this is the first time they have licensors to please and the first time they've had to really try to up their game. Am I wrong in my understanding? Did they really have the Batman Forever license or the Ace Ventura license?

I'm not in the market for an Aragorn figure at this stage. My preference for the Asmus figure ahead of ACI's is completely unbiased and based on what I see in the pics. I may be seeing things differently from someone who prefers the ACI figure, but my preference has nought to do with giving Asmus some kind of free pass.

Actually Asmus had a vote on gray or red shirt -- and the gray won.

I know, I remember that. It would've just been a nice extra for people going for The Two Towers look.

I'm most worried about the absence of the sharpening stone and tobacco pouch, though the shirt, Anduril and ranger cloak would be icing on the cake. But I doubt we'd see them now.

If this makes it easier for some...

ACI vs Asmus COMP  (3).jpg

ACI vs Asmus COMP  (2).jpg

Back