Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks great overall!
Scrolling the pic for match from bottom to top shows pretty near close to me - right up to the eyebrow. Just a very slight raise, here, and it would be about as close as one could get with such unique and difficult features as Viggo's. Maybe a change in paint application. Could be the photo lighting, but he looks a bit ashen. Needs more life. Give him more of a 5 o'clock shodow beard, too, and I think it's done. :)
Good job, Asmus!
How about some different angles? Viggo's nose is unique, for sure.

It looks like the key features are there and correct, just might be a matter of proportion. Very difficult to assess fairly with just one picture in fairly flat lighting.

It might be the lighting but the cheeks could be more sunken, and perhaps the forehead is still too shallow on the sculpt. But again, hard to compare with one photo.

I agree about the cheeks, but maybe it is just the lighting. It could be mitigated once the gruffy beard is added to the cheek area. Maybe just some shading with paint could do it also. That's if anything needs to be changed. Just add some stubble and see how that changes things.

Since we have a ACI Aragorn in hand,
the extra time will also let us do a good study and see if there are elements we can add in,
or make change of.

Hehe, first time I have seen proof of companies using competitors stuff. Hopefully ACI's version will convince you to give Aragorn a good quality body, no flop!

I cannot understand how people say "great, awesome, excellent" to that sculpt. It does not resemble Viggo Mortensen. The issue is not beard nor eyes. The sculpt and painting is very bad on resemblance.

I know, tastes differ. But we have so many example. Look at my older messages on the previous page. THere's 2 photos from Asmus itself. It looks more like Vİggo Mortensen than this final product.

I don't want to live another Gandalf the White issue. I guess no one do. I don't want to pay more money for a restored face again.

I cannot understand how people say "great, awesome, excellent" to that sculpt. It does not resemble Viggo Mortensen. The issue is not beard nor eyes. The sculpt and painting is very bad on resemblance.

I know, tastes differ. But we have so many example. Look at my older messages on the previous page. THere's 2 photos from Asmus itself. It looks more like Vİggo Mortensen than this final product.

I don't want to live another Gandalf the White issue. I guess no one do. I don't want to pay more money for a restored face again.

My god, man. I get the feeling you don't like it, but I can't quite tell... You're too subtle.

Well being as everyone, except for you, who has commented on the sculpt sees a resemblance. Maybe you're just wrong?

The picture that you posted below the Asmus sculpt. Really look at it. The eyebrows look right. The nose looks good, even has the longer bulbous part that is between the nostril. Cheekbones look good. Good angular jawline and the cleft is there. Needs to be scruffier and the eyes are a bit small but if fixing that is going to put this off for another year then I'm am happy as is.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about it. Sometimes it looks ok sometimes I struggle to see a likeness. I've spent quite a long time looking at that new pic and the face seems very misshapen / awkward?

The hair is a little odd.
The beard is more of a goatee.
The skin seems to be pink and yellow?
The neck looks very very long.

I think if the hair was removed, it might help any likeness to show through.

There is something very toyish about it.

Weirdly, I can see more Christian Bale in it than Viggo.

I gotta commend asmus for their honesty.
Although its a given most of the time for a competing product to purchase the other offering, they would never admit it for fear of being called out of copying.
But we know they are doing it so to make sure their competing product is up to par or maybe even better than the competiton.
So a big plus for their honesty.

My opinion, the face need to be more sunken in. The facial hair looks more like a goatee, need to be more scruffy.
The face needs a little bit more tweaking.
I do love the paint job immensely. Love the very realistic skin tone.

Nose was oversized on this proto, but eyes were big enough, now they seem to be small.
attachment.php

I have the ACI EX coming but will still probably get this one as well. Right now I'm more interested in seeing progress on Legolas and finding out which other characters are in the works.

I was very disappointed with ACI version because of it's hair. But the face sculpt ot ACI version is much more better. I'm sorry to say that but this one does not look like Viggo Mortensen.

Not too hard to say:

There's a huge difference between 2 sculpts. Both belongs to Asmus.

Even with a big nose, right one looks more like Viggo Mortensen. Because the face propotions are correct (especially chin, lips, beard and eyes). But the right one has nothing correct except the nose.

And as I said before, Asmus must think to hire a new paint artist.

Last edited:
I think it looks great, can't wait to see the accessories that will come with it. We'll finally have the first fellowship companion to cross off the list.

Hopefully Asmus can share a couple other views of the sculpt so we can give better, more constructive suggestions.

Chinese New Year should be done tomorrow.

All though ACI hit there Aragorn out of the park I'd like to at least see Asmus try and compete. :) :aragorn

Yes, me too. Quite content with my ACI version but I would still like to see Asmus succeed. Not so much with this one personally, but I need a good Gimli and Legolas.

Back