ASMUS TOYS : Aragorn @ The Battle of Helm's Deep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to disparage the sculpt inn any way, but from the pictures we've seen, the sculpt looks much better without a lot of light shining on it. The light seems to wash out certain features.

Another good example,
photo taken at the same angle of the sculptor's reference

Aragorn-screencaps-viggo-mortensen-2256953-960-404.jpg

AB01a.jpg

This is amazing Asmus! Lock it in and get them out...I think we have moved beyond the feedback and tweak stage and are ready for production and then shipping :)

Yeah... you'd be wrong. Still doesn't look anything like him.

I'm currently in the middle of rewatching all the films and all the making ofs and I've seen a lot of Viggo's face in the last few days - I do appreciate that Asmus listen to feedback and they truly do want to create an accurate sculpt - but this does not look like Viggo. His facial features seem complex and subtle - too subtle to work well for a figure perhaps and therefore not a fault of Asmus.

However, there are areas which could be improved upon, such as his chin. The figure's sculpt appears to have a severe cleft or 'butt' chin. However, I don't feel like Viggo's chin is like this. His jaw and chin are quite sharp and square with a dimple in the centre. Perhaps using images of Viggo clean shaven, not on set, would allow for a more comprehensive look at his finer features.

The beard is very well painted on this proto, I hope the production figures will come as good as this one. Really like this sculpt !
:)

I think the sculpt is good now, what really will make a difference is the painting at this point. I would stress a little bit more the contouring over the cheeks and maybe some light wrinkles on the forehead. Anyway, the last picture shows an excellent job with the eyes and the beard.

I have yet to see a better Aragorn Sculpt done by any company in any medium. I had preordered this anyway but clearly this is better than that which was first shown. I hope Asmus does not lose it when they go to the production figure.

Very constructive. I think it’s much closer than the previous offering and a better likeness than any other official Aragorn product. It’s not a flawless recreation but how often is any sculpt utterly perfect? Therefore, Id say ‘good likeness’ is actually the most appropriate description.

While definitely better than their "slim" version head sculpt, it certainly isn't at the Elrond level of capturing the actor. I can't say if it is mostly paint apps or the sculpt itself, but I'm not blown away like I was with Elrond's or Gimli's or Theodon's faces.

...and that is why i'm only going to take a chance purchasing (i'm a completionest) the damaged (less expensive) version.
It's a bit better, but IMHO still not quite there- the chin is definitely wrong. -Sigh-
But thank you Asmus for listening and making the effort ;^)

FYI:

We will have at least 2 new accessories to add in to our exclusive edition.
We will announce it one by one in the next 3 weeks.

Honestly, I don't know what the extra accessories could be, but I'm glad I've got the exclusive pre-ordered.

Switch-out wind-blown hair sculpt? Maybe the rusty Rohan sword he swings around for Haleth, son of Hama? A full Uruk Berserker figure? :lol

Back