Asmus Toys 1/6: Grishnákh

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update pack for Merry & Pippin with more cheerful facial expressions along with their pre-Lorien cloaks & swords is the most realistic option. If anything, Merry turned out a little less angry looking than initial previews, so it's not like the the cases of Gandalf the White or Tauriel where something went wrong during production. I also still hope that we'll see a armored version of both eventually.

If Grishnakh were to include a second head, it ought to be his own Fangorn look when he had black blood around his mouth (was he wounded in the Rohirrim raid or was that Snaga's blood?)

Considering the work required to make his outfit accurate, I wouldn't count on a second head for Grishnakh. Adding blood will be up to you.

I simply hope Asmus takes as much care with Grishnakh's outfit as they did with Aragorn or Gandalf the Grey. They are getting too good lately to make it as simple as they did Guritz several years back.

Considering the work required to make his outfit accurate, I wouldn't count on a second head for Grishnakh. Adding blood will be up to you.

I simply hope Asmus takes as much care with Grishnakh's outfit as they did with Aragorn or Gandalf the Grey. They are getting too good lately to make it as simple as they did Guritz several years back.

Agreed...not really expecting a switch out head at all. The outfit will be key on this guy.

I don't think they can keep making new heads.

Besides, I wouldn't want to have to constantly update every figure on my shelf if they did. At a certain point, like you did with your Kenner Star Wars toys, you have to say "it is what it is" and be happy you have a representation.

They don't need to keep making new heads--they just need to make ones for characters folks waited over a decade for and then got "pissed-off" heads for that don't capture the spirit of the character at all. The Merry head has been almost universally critcized, so "it is what it is" isn't going to cut it in this instance.

And who said it needed to be free? If Asmus wants to charge for it as an accessory with another figure or in an accessory pack, that's fine. In fact, it's great. I think there's enough complaints about those hobbits to sell an accessory pack with alt heads and more accessories. But if Asmus wanted to just charge an extra 10 bucks and include a head with Grisnakh, I'd be perfectly happy with that too.

Yeah, I agree with Wor-Gar. They have to step up on the quality. I bought some parts for Guritz, and just dressing a body, it tore up , most of the armor pieces were badly glued , so I agree, the way to keep Asmus interesting is to keep improving, like they have. Saruman had a fantastic outfit and acessories, plus a fantastic headsculpt and hair ( the belt and boots were a little disappointing)

12952909_10157042722505157_63603177_o.jpg

I`m making my own version of Guritz. its still all WIP, might remake the banner ( because the movie version had no relation to the eye of sauron, described in the books), plus I found the scythe and skull on top of the helmet to be too cartoony, so I might make him a visor and other accessories down the line.

They don't need to keep making new heads--they just need to make ones for characters folks waited over a decade for and then got "pissed-off" heads for that don't capture the spirit of the character at all. The Merry head has been almost universally critcized, so "it is what it is" isn't going to cut it in this instance.

And who said it needed to be free? If Asmus wants to charge for it as an accessory with another figure or in an accessory pack, that's fine. In fact, it's great. I think there's enough complaints about those hobbits to sell an accessory pack with alt heads and more accessories. But if Asmus wanted to just charge an extra 10 bucks and include a head with Grisnakh, I'd be perfectly happy with that too.

I re-read this post a number of times but just can't get the 'entitled' attitude out of the read.

If every company had to redo their work based on opinion then they likely wouldn't start the effort to begin with. Even if they came up with a head you like, I'm certain there would be others who feel its wrong. I know you've been around here long enough to see that its very hard to please people. Granted the expression on the one figure you mentioned isn't the ideal, it is a good likeness of the actor who portrays the character. A lot of people don't like HT's Han Solo or Ben Kenobi but no one is asking them to redo it. I think the fact that Asmus has made efforts to fix past work is now beginning to bite them in the ass. You guys keep this up, and like all other companies before them, they will go silent, leave this site and stop awarding people with fixes.

And willing to cough up an extra $10 for a 2nd head? On a $200 figure, you think the head is only worth $10?

Last edited:
Anyone who spends $200 is entitled to have a say how the finished product turns out. Merry i wanted to put back in the box, asmus know my opinion so dont need to repeat it. We love asmus and lotr, so getting the basics right needs to be consistent. Some characters deserve to be revisited with an upgrade, most turn out just fine. Once this line finishes it may not be picked up again for a long time. What we have on our shelves will be asmus lotr legacy, even if that means a new head or two itll be something worth while in the end.

I don't have them in hand but I like Merry's grumpy face...it reminds me when he asks Frodo why the Nazgul are chasing them or whe he says to Pippin "there will be no Shire". :dunno

Anyone who spends $200 is entitled to have a say how the finished product turns out. Merry i wanted to put back in the box, asmus know my opinion so dont need to repeat it. We love asmus and lotr, so getting the basics right needs to be consistent. Some characters deserve to be revisited with an upgrade, most turn out just fine. Once this line finishes it may not be picked up again for a long time. What we have on our shelves will be asmus lotr legacy, even if that means a new head or two itll be something worth while in the end.

why would you send $200 on a figure that you dont like?:clap

Why doesn't anyone ever demand new head sculpts from any other company? There are some really bad ones out there, so I don't understand this demand that asmus do new sculpts for almost everything.. no one is forcing anyone to buy any of it. I passed on both Aragorns because I wasn't satisfied with either of them, and I wanted that character really bad. I don't see anything wrong with the merry figure that justifies a new sculpt. I would understand if it was weird like the Tauriel issue, but it seems to me like some people just aren't happy with the expression.. Waa. If your not sure about spending $200 on a figure based on the look of the proto pics, wait until in hand pictures show up.

True. Sideshow did not send a replacement sculpt for their Drake figure or body for their first Indy. Hot Toys didn't send out a replacement sculpt for their Indy and Star Ace isn't doing it for Snape.

It's always a risk to do a pre-order. Most do not match the prototypes regardless of the company or price point. I am extremely grateful for Asmus going the extra mile and doing things like replacement bodies, forearms, etc. but they are not required to do so and should not be crucified if they don't offer free re-dos.

Asmus are awesome to us lot. Its not likely any other company would bother adding hair to hobbit feet, love that detail btw. I agree no freebies for personal preference n such, unless the factory muck something up big time then something needs to be done, just because other companies dont bother to fix issues doesnt make it right. Asmus are forging a new standard, thats a company worth supporting for sure, despite inevitable bumps along the way.
IMHO a purchasable upgrade kit with swords, capes, accessories, heads would be a grand idea, but not free of course. 1/6 scale pint tankards, lembas bread, carrots and various stolen veg could be awesome.
Sorry for going a bit of topic

IMHO a purchasable upgrade kit with swords, capes, accessories, heads would be a grand idea, but not free of course. 1/6 scale pint tankards, lembas bread, carrots and various stolen veg could be awesome.

This would be awesome and sort of inline with a proposed idea from the beginning of troop builder sets with armor etc. I know that got sort of derailed due to the demand of actual characters since the scope is so epic but it would be neat to get some kits of stuff like this.

I personally am ok with the expression on the Hobbits as it beats a vacant stare. It will work well with this new Orc too if you pose them all together.

I am curious what expression they go with for the Orc, he went through quite a bit of emotional changes himself.

True. Sideshow did not send a replacement sculpt for their Drake figure or body for their first Indy. Hot Toys didn't send out a replacement sculpt for their Indy and Star Ace isn't doing it for Snape.

It's always a risk to do a pre-order. Most do not match the prototypes regardless of the company or price point. I am extremely grateful for Asmus going the extra mile and doing things like replacement bodies, forearms, etc. but they are not required to do so and should not be crucified if they don't offer free re-dos.

What's that? Someone's gotta pay for it.

Good points all around SD:lecture

Thank you.

Back