Asmus Toys 1/6: Grishnákh

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it’s surprising how few of these are actually made. Meaning how few collectors there actually are. Makes the prices more acceptable as so much work goes into a very small production run.
Even more surprising is the for instance the Sideshow SW bounty hunters (or aliens) that are only made in 2000 or fewer each (and it took them all to be released to have them sell out). And that’s Star Wars! ...no wonder why Hot Toys more or less stick to top seller characters. Wonder about the edition size of Jedi Luke for example?

Dunno about collector numbers:dunno. IMO other stuff to factor in; like I collect Middle Earth "stuff". A few sword replicas, some poly, now ASMUS. But not bein' rich w. unlimited space - getting a "baddie" for me is unusual. Talked myself out of MOS, for instance. Excellent fig, really wanted him. But couldn't say MOS is a FAVORITE or had a lot of screen or even book time, so passed. E.g even collectors are gonna pick and choose.

Also ASMUS is kinda up against WETA even tho WETA is poly. But WETA has had Middle Earth license for years; also collectors can be particular e.g. poly or nothing.

And I still see questions around about who ASMUS is. Not the best known fig company like HT.

Finally, there's no current movie frenzy to stoke sales. Anyway I think smaller production runs - if they can be done- are a great idea (like do a production re-relase run of Thranduil for 500 so I can get another one.:monkey3).

Plus ASMUS is showing an attention to detail that HT lately seems to be slipping on, or cutting corners. When HT is on, they are ON, for sure. But even the stunning 10-year Cap was put out with plastic shields:slap and people like me are digging through boxes lookin' for their extra Cap head sculpts.:cool:

grish.jpg

This guys is too cool. So many different ways of displaying him. For the time being I've got him impaled by a Rohirrim spear!

(blood should have been blackish, though, and not red.)

Grishnakh 1.jpg
Grishnakh 2.jpg

Nice...I have been thinking about picking this figure up to represent Orcs in general in my collection. Great pictures!

I had passed on this figure initially and then picked it up when Asmus put it for sale again. SO glad I did. The paint apps on the head sculpt are amazing. Fantastic representation of a memorable Orc, too.

He's still right at the top of my favorites list for the line. Just a hair behind Thorin. The sculpt, the paint, and especially the costume are all outstanding.

It is true that it did not sell well, even if it is one of Asmus' at their finest. I was always very surprise about that fact, but sometimes collectors are blinded. There was a low run for this figure, and I am pretty sure that one day it will become one of the most sought after figures from the line, a secret grail... Eowyns quality was never at its level, and now she is very difficult to find...
My only concern is the impact of this on future characters. In my opinion, if Asmus want to make a name they should keep on doing their great work by giving us very different minor characters from the franchise, no matter of the selling prognose. They can always reduce the production numbers, and I am sure that we collectors will give them our support.

In my opinion, if Asmus want to make a name they should keep on doing their great work by giving us very different minor characters from the franchise, no matter of the selling prognose. They can always reduce the production numbers, and I am sure that we collectors will give them our support.

At the end of the day, the object is to make money. While I’m happy to add minor characters to my collection, Asmus has to produce what they think will sell best, and keep them in the black financially. That’s why a new Gandalf gets made, rather than Denethor or Wormtongue. I feel fortunate that we’ve gotten some of the figures we have, like Theoden or Grishnakh. I don’t expect Asmus to lose money to build their name.

At the end of the day, the object is to make money. While I’m happy to add minor characters to my collection, Asmus has to produce what they think will sell best, and keep them in the black financially. That’s why a new Gandalf gets made, rather than Denethor or Wormtongue. I feel fortunate that we’ve gotten some of the figures we have, like Theoden or Grishnakh. I don’t expect Asmus to lose money to build their name.

:goodpost:

At the end of the day, the object is to make money. While I?m happy to add minor characters to my collection, Asmus has to produce what they think will sell best, and keep them in the black financially. That?s why a new Gandalf gets made, rather than Denethor or Wormtongue. I feel fortunate that we?ve gotten some of the figures we have, like Theoden or Grishnakh. I don?t expect Asmus to lose money to build their name.

I understand what you say. However, companies certainly know that there are different ways to make money: easy money or long term one. Take the example of Hot Toys: they have the name, and now they can afford to establish the peak of price knowing that people will buy from them, no matter if what they sell is worse than previous releases by lesser companies (see the example of their new Jawa). Names are important in terms of bussiness plans, and sometimes you need to risk for a greater good.
This being said, I just want to underline ASMUS great work keeping a perfect balance between quality, variety and price. As a collector, ASMUS and no other company are the ones getting my attention nowadays. Congratulations.

I recently sold off quite a number of figures (and expect to sell off even more) in order to help finance and clear up display space for my Asmus LOTR line. It has easily become my number one 1/6 figure line collection.

"The Lord of the Rings" has always held a special place in my heart, long before the films. I'm just so happy that we finally have a company seriously going deep into the line. I may have mentioned it before but its expected that the main heroes and villains will be revisited, from time to time, but please do keep bringing us those other special characters that will provide continued interest in the line, as well.

I recently sold off quite a number of figures (and expect to sell off even more) in order to help finance and clear up display space for my Asmus LOTR line. It has easily become my number one 1/6 figure line collection.

"The Lord of the Rings" has always held a special place in my heart, long before the films. I'm just so happy that we finally have a company seriously going deep into the line. I may have mentioned it before but its expected that the main heroes and villains will be revisited, from time to time, but please do keep bringing us those other special characters that will provide continued interest in the line, as well.

I am right there with you! Asmus LOTR is now my main focus and it all started with a renewed interest in all things LOTR. My wife and I are in the process of watching all of the Appendices from the Extended Editions now. It actually dethroned Star Wars as my previous focus and many of those figures went out to make way for these amazing figures from Asmus.

I am right there with you! Asmus LOTR is now my main focus and it all started with a renewed interest in all things LOTR.

Same.
I actually sold off all of my Hot Toys figures (and I had a bunch!) 4-5 years back. Asmus LOTR & Hobbit figures are really the only 1:6 lines I still collect, outside of a random obscure figure like Executive Replicas pulp heroes (Shadow, Doc Savage, Spider).
I’ve been a Middle Earth fan since I first read the books back in High School in the late 70s, and I’ve read them all several times since (well, other than “The Silmarillion”, which I was only able to finally finish last year after several attempts). Big fan of Peter Jackson’s 6 films as well, even with the liberties taken to make them more cinematic.
I own every one of Asmus’ LOTR & Hobbit figures, including original and re-releases of Aragorn and the 4 hobbits, and multiple Ringwraiths. Also have ACI’s Ringwraiths and Aragorn. Whatever Asmus wants to give us, I’ll take!

"The Lord of the Rings" has always held a special place in my heart, long before the films. I'm just so happy that we finally have a company seriously going deep into the line.

You've been here longer than even me... and I remember how excited you were when Sideshow announced their LOTR line long, long ago.

You've been here longer than even me... and I remember how excited you were when Sideshow announced their LOTR line long, long ago.

Wow! That WAS a long time ago. That was a huge moment for me, in the 1/6 hobby. The first "High-end" LOTR 1/6 figures! I also felt the same with SS's Star Wars line. How times have changed since then...

Oh, man. I was SO excited when they announced that Aragorn! And I was so worried that $60 bucks was going to be too expensive! :lol

I also remember the backlash when Frodo and Sam came out and were at the same price point as the "taller" figures. We were so naive back then... :wink1:

By the way, I still have all of those SS figures and the Aragorn, after having repainted the head sculpt, is still one of my favorites and is displayed alongside the newer Asmus figures. He represents a pre-Lothlorien version. Asmus's SLIM represents post-Lothlorien. And I've got an Art Figures "The King" as a Black Gate version. I'm in the process of replacing the body and head sculpt with Asmus spare parts.

lotr 3 sm.jpg

Back