Asmus 1/6 Lord of the Rings - Faramir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all would prefer a real leather/fabric BUT having had so many thin fake leather pieces crumble (more so than my rubber figures) I?m fine with a soft plastic. As long as Asmus can paint it to look like leather and keep that throughout production, it?s all good with me

I don't think we should worry too much if the chest piece is soft plastic; look how great the armour on Theoden and Eomer turned out. So long as the detailing is on point to make it look like real leather, I think it'll be the best option in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I don't like plastic very much. What I like with 1/6 scale figures is having a lot of different textures, that can emulate the reality. Fabric, leather, real hair when possible, metal... Otherwise I would buy a plastic/resin statue.
Two very good points have been remarked:
Hodonitoo "At normal viewing distances in 1/6th scale all those intricate details are lost anyway"
And Bravomite "I would prefer fabric so it is more like the actual outfit otherwise the difference in texture will make it appear toy like"

The fabric prototype you show in your picture looks very good to me.
:)

I don't think we should worry too much if the chest piece is soft plastic; look how great the armour on Theoden and Eomer turned out. So long as the detailing is on point to make it look like real leather, I think it'll be the best option in the long run.

No disrespect intended but using plastic to simulate metal is one thing but using it to simulate leather is another.

I don't like plastic very much. What I like with 1/6 scale figures is having a lot of different textures, that can emulate the reality. Fabric, leather, real hair when possible, metal... Otherwise I would buy a plastic/resin statue.
Hodonitoo "At normal viewing distances in 1/6th scale all those intricate details are lost anyway"
And Bravomite "I would prefer fabric so it is more like the actual outfit otherwise the difference in texture will make it appear toy like"

Totally agree that the fabric prototype looks really good

No disrespect intended but using plastic to simulate metal is one thing but using it to simulate leather is another.
Theoden's leather armour looks pretty good when rendered in plastic form. Looks great in hand too.
b3746d9ab9d8541fbc8e2539c22703bf.jpg

Well, Theoden's armor is amazingly sculpted but it looks... plastic. I can understand that real/false leather would have bumped the production costs but it would have looked much better. On mine, I made some paint apps (weathered with black paint) and gave a pledge finish to make it shine but it still looks plastic. Good anyway, but I'm more worried about Faramir's tunic.

I'd take a real leather/good faux leather one in a heartbeat if that level of detail could be replicated at this scale and without massive overheads.

I recently made a screen accurate coat for Aragorn in real leather with all the correct baseball stitching down the arms and seams etc. It all had to be done by hand to get it right and it was a damn slog. My hands were in bits for weeks. I do not envy Asmus for having to attempt these beautiful costumes for mass production in this scale! [emoji1787]

I'd take a real leather/good faux leather one in a heartbeat if that level of detail could be replicated at this scale and without massive overheads.

I recently made a screen accurate coat for Aragorn in real leather with all the correct baseball stitching down the arms and seams etc. It all had to be done by hand to get it right and it was a damn slog. My hands were in bits for weeks. I do not envy Asmus for having to attempt these beautiful costumes for mass production in this scale! [emoji1787]

Wow, could I see your work on Aragorn's coat ? It must look very good ! I also made some stitching but I went the easy way...

Wow, could I see your work on Aragorn's coat ? It must look very good ! I also made some stitching but I went the easy way...
Sure. I'll try and get some good daylight photos of it in the next few days if I can.

The fabric armour does look pretty great but I think we?re mostly in favour of that because the plastic one is unpainted. It has some lovely subtle fabric creases sculpted in and, with the right paint apps, it could definitely look the part but the fabric option has the natural effect and will react better to posing. However, the fabric one may also not have the greatest longevity. I?m mostly always in favour of using as much mixed medium as possible to bring these to life and give the impression of realism by using materials that best mimic the real thing. It just makes them more interesting to study.

It?s great that Asmus is able to create such small, detailed parts on a computer and produce them in flexible plastic but I Also feel like the figures suffer slightly for having to then depend solely on the paint apps to create the appearance of different textures and materials. I like real belt buckles, straps, laces etc as opposed to molded stuff.

Ultimately, I think we need to see the plastic vest painted and on Faramir.

We have tried both fabric and soft plastic approach,
fabric is nice, but it is impossible to get the detail on the stripes (it is roughly 1/8" wide)
so sculpted soft plastic is properly the better way.

View attachment 480801

Add me to the growing list of people who prefer the fabric-goods.

I mean, looks at that cloth one, it looks terrific.

Concur with this post.

One of the reason we attempt to avoid fabric vast is a tragic like this...

Unfortunately, even with our promising PL leather, there is still a life span of synthetic leather.
It is the unavoidable truth in the industry.

20200313_133351.jpg

Yeah. I want to have these figures pretty much forever so knowing that there is a lifespan I am concerned. That was that reason I ended up letting my 89 Batman and Batman Returns go.

Hopefully with care they will last a long long time.

Asmus is very right. Even one of my old DX06 Jack Sparrow belts and chest belt had deteriorated which hasn’t been long since that figure was released. Luckily I had spares to replace them with.

I also recently opened up the old DC Direct 13” Superman figure that has pleather boots and those literally fell apart as I was taking the figure out of the box for the first time ever.

Asmus is doing the right thing by doing the vest in plastic. Folks who don’t understand are only thinking about the now, but what will y’all do in a few years when the pleather cracks and you have no where to find the figure or spare parts to replace the vest?

I always fear that, but thankfully I don't live in a humid area... yet anyway.

I don?t live in a humid area either. I mean Texas is hot, but not usually humid at least not where I live. Plus, my display room only has one window with A/C on regularly and it still happened. But those two instances are the only time it?s ever happened in all my years. So, I guess it could just depend on the quality of pleather the company uses as well.

I just think Asmus is smart for taking this into consideration. Even HT has moved away from pleather belts on some figures.

Back