Premium Format Article: Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno buddy.... There's a lot of people out there willing to drop big bucks on the mass produced Spidey CQ, Green Hulk PF, Doom PF. Couple examples of course but how much were those when they first came out? Like $300 I think? That's a pretty high increase in such a short time
Yeah, but for the most part I think thats foolish. Why drop that much on mass produced statue when for that much, or maybe a bit more you can commission your own to your standards, exactly the way you want it from an artist. The idea of dropping 3k on something just because some goober on ebay decides its that much doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah, but for the most part I think thats foolish. Why drop that much on mass produced statue when for that much, or maybe a bit more you can commission your own to your standards, exactly the way you want it from an artist. The idea of dropping 3k on something just because some goober on ebay decides its that much doesn't appeal to me.

Now we're talking Josh. Yes I would agree with you implicitly on the make it exactly the way you want it for that price. Not sure everyone has the knowledge and resources to commission their own statue though. This hobby has been one heck of a ride for me since I first got into it all. Made a lot of mistakes on buying stuff I thought I wanted but didn't really want after the emotions calmed down. I don't really believe in paying top dollar for missed pieces anymore. I mean there's always exceptions of course but trying to track down some of SSs finest can be costly to say the least. Especially now that we're seeing these characters come around full swing. I like to belive I make better choices now when I make a buying decision. I try to be more selective about what I spend my cash on but it's a learning curve for many I think. Some collectors understand right off the bat. Others like me learn the hard way :lol

Now we're talking Josh. Yes I would agree with you implicitly on the make it exactly the way you want it for that price. Not sure everyone has the knowledge and resources to commission their own statue though. This hobby has been one heck of a ride for me since I first got into it all. Made a lot of mistakes on buying stuff I thought I wanted but didn't really want after the emotions calmed down. I don't really believe in paying top dollar for missed pieces anymore. I mean there's always exceptions of course but trying to track down some of SSs finest can be costly to say the least. Especially now that we're seeing these characters come around full swing. I like to belive I make better choices now when I make a buying decision. I try to be more selective about what I spend my cash on but it's a learning curve for many I think. Some collectors understand right off the bat. Others like me learn the hard way :lol
Well at least with this its usually only a few hundred dollar mistake. And you also have to realize these things come and go. I wanted the original Bowen Batman statue, and for the longest that piece would sell for over 1k, but recently I've seen it selling at 300 give or take. These statues will never hold value completely, they don't have history, they aren't originals and they don't lend themselves to adding anything to the mythos the represent. Those three things tend to give art value. These will never have any of that.

Which is why I tell people to buy what they like, not the number on the bottom.

it's gonna be awesome when all these noobs that drop 1K for an XM statue thinking it's gonna double are stuck with an large paper weight.
The secondary market for a lot of these pieces is highly sensitive to price, to break even on a XM statue takes a lot more effort than a Sideshow statue. I like Magneto but correct me if Im wrong XM has only shipped 2 statues... and certain collectors act like its the second coming... lol

Come back when they've shipped a couple hundred.

Well at least with this its usually only a few hundred dollar mistake. And you also have to realize these things come and go. I wanted the original Bowen Batman statue, and for the longest that piece would sell for over 1k, but recently I've seen it selling at 300 give or take. These statues will never hold value completely, they don't have history, they aren't originals and they don't lend themselves to adding anything to the mythos the represent. Those three things tend to give art value. These will never have any of that.

Which is why I tell people to buy what they like, not the number on the bottom.

:exactly:
I won't let a number dictate my decision but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to finding satisfaction in a lower ES. I'm not talking 150 or bust but having a lower ES is a huge bonus to me. I've got all the DC PFs that SS has put out thus far because I think they were all incredibly done and we know how many of those were made :lol doesn't matter though because they are truly great statues

There is no right and wrong way to collect. Everyone is different. I and many others definitely have pursued the so called grail older SS items. It's part of the fun and the hobby. At the end of the day, sooner or later we sell our collections, to make room for new statues or other reason. :)

I'd love to see a new gambit and/or cyclops.

No way can improve on the original Gambit.

CSI

kettle meet pot

Hows that for a short answer? :pfft:

Here's a picture to share my thoughts on "overpaying" for a statue since a middle finger wouldn't be appropriate for the thread. Your not in my league boss so keep you monetary assumptions to yourself :wink1:

View attachment 131144

lol, vanity plate says all I need to know about you. Obviously your compensating for, shall we say, your short comings :rotfl

I still hope Mark newman, miller or steve will do a Phoenix. Hell do 3 repaints with 200 ES for the ex. If they sculpt it, I will buy it.

Went by my local comic shop yesterday and he said they had ordered 7 of the reg. ed. of this statue...also told me that they aren't allowed to offer the statue below MSRP per SS's rules for wholesale. Does anyone know if this true? Just curious. He had a reg. ed. of the new Catwoman for sale for $425.00

Went by my local comic shop yesterday and he said they had ordered 7 of the reg. ed. of this statue...also told me that they aren't allowed to offer the statue below MSRP per SS's rules for wholesale. Does anyone know if this true? Just curious. He had a reg. ed. of the new Catwoman for sale for $425.00

My lcs gave me 30% off. So it really depends on the shop. One said no but I know my current shop for a very long time. But I did pay cash for all the statues and toys I buy from them so no other fees at all. just the flat rate with the discount and cash only. But knowing this no one mentions anything about breaking the rules. I just ask for discount and buy at best prices and they sell. That's it. No one says anything about the rules. I never asked them and they don't say. Who knows, maybe they don't even know the rules? I had one in the last who never noticed they were breaking any rules and got **** down. But really many shops just want to sell and have no idea what the policy is for these because they are so new to selling statues.

Looking forward to both this Jean Grey PF and XM Jean Grey Phoenix.

From 0 Jean Grey's to 2, I'm happy over here!

Back