Article: Re: CREEPSHOW starts today!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: CREEPSHOW starts today!!!

When Dooley says China is giving him fits....he isn't stringing us along because he just wants to lay on the couch and watch Ellen.

The United States got really chummy with China and their low pay to workers. China still pays low, but its gone up a bit. Plus---shipping costs/freight have gone up astronomically because of the cost of fuel. From what I have read, what used to be highly lucrative practice(having things made in China and shipped here) only brings in about 8-12% more profit than it would to staff part time workers in the USA.

https://www.businessweek.com/articl...-s-dot-manufacturers-give-up-on-made-in-china

But we owe China a blue quatrillion dollars. If big companies cut ties: will China play hardball with calling in the I.O.U.'s? So--a quagmire. I feel bad for any company trying to make toys and collectibles and still turn a healthy profit in these conditions, plus we are still in a crummy economy. "Jobless recovery" my bright white behind....in England it's called "The Global Depression".

I am willing to give Dooley time---but if he officially says 'screw it--they'll be customs'...then I may be out. because the price will have to go up. If he says they will still be licensed and made in a facotry here in the US because he's sick of China: I might be willing to pay more. Because I am sick of everything being made in China.

'Nam--keep posting. Not everyone thinks you are being a troll.:peace.

No, it's your comment that's irrelevant. Whether Dooley makes a Fluffy or not, it's his legal right to do so. Beto has no legal right to make more than a single custom piece. So it's well within Dooley's rights as the license holder to shut Beto down from doing a first or even second run (which he was planning to do). And saying they're two different markets is fairly ignorant given they're both aiming at 1:6 collectors.
Yeah, I get what you're saying Nam and certainly Dooley has the legal right to do what he did (guess I did put that a little poorly in my post), my question is practically does it make any difference to Dooley whether a custom artist ends up selling 15 or 30 Fluffys. That's all I mean by "two markets", not that one collector is better or whatnot. There's just a very limited market for what these customizers do, so not sure it hurts anybody. Anyway, all good.

Years ago, My friend Charlee Flatt used to make high end figures (about 20 years ago). He was hit with a cyst and disease from DC comics. He was allowed to make 25 batman, green lanterns the lawyers said. Anything more they would take action. There was something about fan art (under 25 copies) that allowed him to make that many.

It was around the toyfare time when they got hit to for using DC in the Twisted Mego Theater. That is why only the first couple of issues have DC in them.

Yeah, I get what you're saying Nam and certainly Dooley has the legal right to do what he did (guess I did put that a little poorly in my post), my question is practically does it make any difference to Dooley whether a custom artist ends up selling 15 or 30 Fluffys. That's all I mean by "two markets", not that one collector is better or whatnot. There's just a very limited market for what these customizers do, so not sure it hurts anybody. Anyway, all good.

For the sake of killing this where it lies (without mentioning other parties), and since it's on topic, yes. Those who bought any custom figure at such a high price would likely pass on an "official" release. Doubly so for the custom snobs who think that the more they pay for something, the better it must be, so a licensed release at a quarter of the price must be inferior. Now people will talk all kinds of **** and say, "I'd buy both," we know that's bull**** seeing people state, "I already have a custom of it. Nice but pass" for other releases, or lying and saying, "I've got it on order" to justify trolling and then disappear when it's in hand or look for some excuse to state that they canceled the order. Then there're those malicious pricks who troll product threads praising inferior customs over licensed product to justify their overpaying, mistakenly thinking it makes them look like anything more than the lemmings they are, to the customizer who made the ridiculously priced illegal version.

Dooley foots the bill for the price of the license for the whole reason of creating product from it. Otherwise, why pay for a license if there's no guarantee of exclusivity? Especially when someone's selling the same product, unauthorized, at a turnout faster than standard mass production? They'd literally be eating up a chunk of the market he's hoping to reel in. There's a very limited market for what these customizers aim for. That same limited market is what Dooley's aiming for as well. It's the same limited market that is interested in Creepshow. And to show you how limited that is, the Exclusive Nathan is limited to 500 and he's still available at a ridiculously low price of $98 (and this was before the delay debacle). That's a pretty limited market, so any unauthorized product produced that catered to 1:6 Creepshow would cut into it. This is even worse, when you consider that Dooley is likely taking a fat loss on Nathan, to get people interested. A loss on Nathan leaves even less room for any loss whatsoever on follow-up products.

Doesn't Twisted Mego Theatre fall under the parody law?

No they shut toyfare down and B natural toys. Lawyers came hard. There was no way DC was letting anyone at the time use there licenses, parady or not.

I'm surprised at all the custom DC stuff I see now. I wonder if they just relaxed on it, or that there was too much going on now then previously or what. I know Dr Mego got shut down for selling old mego repo pieces, and that was about 7-8 years ago.

Just received an e-mail update from SHS.

Judge for yourself.

--

Dear Customers-

A while back SHS obtained the rights to produce action figures and collectibles from the beloved horror anthology.... CREEPSHOW. After speaking with my factory overseas I received an affordable quote to produce 1500 pcs of the NATHAN GRANTHAM figure. With that information on March 18th, 2012 we began our first pre-sale for CREEPSHOW. After things got rolling and my factory had received the NATHAN GRANTHAM prototype they almost tripled the production cost to nearly $100K USD.

This is why your orders have been delayed! I had to take a few steps back and figure out how to raise the money to complete the CREEPSHOW project. Being a new company loans don't come by easy for this sort of thing. Kickstarter.com wasn't really an option either due to no matter how close my financial goal was reached I still had to refund if I didn't hit my mark.

So I've decided to come up with our own Kickstarter. Offering collectibles that can be ready and ship with in a few weeks of orders being placed. Due to the success of MONSTERPALOOZA 2013 this past weekend SHS will be offering our very own line of high end life-sized busts. The first series will be six different characters/ creatures. There will be only 13 of each produced complete with punched hair, custom paint, signed, numbered base and a letter of authenticity.

Second will be a new BITS & PIECES set. This will be a lower limited run done from my studio. This will be an environment playset for your 1:6th scale figures. All money earned goes towards the CREEPSHOW Project and getting these figures done and out to you.

We will resume refunds for any customers who require one within 90 days. Due to the massive increase in production costs SHS will be adjusting our retail cost to $150 USD. Anyone who ordered NATHAN GRANTHAM at the original price of $98 USD will stay at that price as long as you keep your order. If you require a refund and come back later to order again it will be the new price of $150 USD. This also applies to our wholesale accounts.

Nobody is more disappointed at how this has turned out than me. If I had known then what I know now I would have done this very differently. But this is the current situation SHS is in. I'm pushing forward to making this happen. These collectibles as well as the others planned for CREEPSHOW will be coming out. I'm not going to drag this out anymore than it has to be. I know there are many of you that are disappointed about this news. Your patience, support and understanding is very appreciated! Either myself or staff will be available to answer any questions. We'll do our best to get to them as quickly as we can.

The bottom line on this first CREEPSHOW product is NATHAN GRANTHAM will either be produced in the factory or will be handled as a custom figure in my studio. But you will get him one way or another!!!

Thank you and best wishes!

Sincerely~

Brian Dooley/ President

I just got that too and as one of Brians wholesale accounts i am willing to wait and see.

I have 2 Nates paid for and I KNOW I MUST HAVE MY CAKE!!!!

So I've this long. I can wait a little longer.

Thanks for the update Brian

Yeah just got this also.

I havent ordered yet. Still thinking about it...

Really my mind is all over the place on this figure, i know refunds can be made but still..

Bummer to hear things went so far sideways on this project... not much room if each figure costly nearly $70 to make and you're only charging $98.

Back