Ark of the Covenant Prop Replica

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will agree with you in some respects, you are right that plating this would cost a lot more.

But I am sorry if they cannot produce an accurate or even somewhat accurate Ark for a decent price they should NOT be putting it out.

What do you consider "somewhat accurate?" I think this is more than "somewhat accurate." Its not like they took a kleenex box and put polls on it. I agree there is room for improvement but to just totally dismiss this as garbage isn't really fair. Its something that 95% of the people who see it will not know whats wrong with it and will like it. Why take that away from them? I have no problem with people saying they don't like something but to say it shouldn't be made at all because its not exactly what YOU want isn't right. (I'm off my soapbox now.) :)

What do you consider "somewhat accurate?" I think this is more than "somewhat accurate." Its not like they took a kleenex box and put polls on it. I agree there is room for improvement but to just totally dismiss this as garbage isn't really fair. Its something that 95% of the people who see it will not know whats wrong with it and will like it. Why take that away from them? I have no problem with people saying they don't like something but to say it shouldn't be made at all because its not exactly what YOU want isn't right. (I'm off my soapbox now.) :)

Yes it is. :D

I guess time will tell, if this thing even has a remote chance of selling out. Unless they make a tiny es. But honestly, the 1/6th was plated..fine whatever...but why on earth give us a 1/4th that is not plated? Cost? They KNOW everyone wanted it plated...they knew that so if they can't make it cost effective then I still don't think they should have made it at all.

Or you are right, I don't care if they made it or not but there is NO WAY this thing is worth $250.

I agree its not worth $250 but its still a cool item and I am sure lots of people will enjoy having it. Just think its one less thing you have to spend money on so that's good. :)

Indeed, let the hunt begin for getting this cheaper than msrp. I hate to wonder, but I wonder what Gentle Giant would of done on this scale. They did a great job with the 1/6 scale crate items, making the idol metal and plated. Too bad they did not do their own version of a 1/6 scale Ark let alone a 1/4 scale. Must be a contractual thing.

It's strange, but I don't mind how the matte 1:6 ark came out. I know it's not shiny like it should be, but I'm perfectly happy with it. Probably because I just consider it an accessory to my Indy figures, so it's not such a focal point. But since this ark is supposed to be a single stand-alone object, supposedly worthy of being center stage, I does bother me that they chose to not chrome it.

Overall I think it's pretty nice. I think the details are great. Even the size looks impressive in the picture with the idol. And the finish looks better (a bit shinier) than the 1:6 ark. But I just think the painted finish takes away from it being the crown jewel it should have been. I'll stick with my matte 1:6 ark.

Sideshow does excellent props - anyone who thinks not hasn't seen very much of their work. It's very rare that I've been disappointed by one of their actual prop replicas.

This isn't, of course. This is a scaled replica.

:dunno

Well, most of Sideshow's full size 1:1 prop replicas are actually made by other 3rd Party companies and basically just solicited, sold, and distributed by Sideshow.

That said, they're not always solid there, either. The Sideshow 1:1 R2-D2 is horrible. Seriously, it SUCKS hard and is hideously over-priced as well. The inaccuracies and limitations may be mostly Barton's fault... but that Sideshow sold as many as 250 of those things at $5200 a pop is both baffling and nauseating.

Last edited:
I have no problem with people saying they don't like something but to say it shouldn't be made at all because its not exactly what YOU want isn't right. (I'm off my soapbox now.) :)

The delineation here is that Sideshow is basically killing their INDY license with baffling decisions and poor efforts like this 1:4 Ark. The sales (or lack thereof) tell the tale.

So, yeah, when they produce something that most of their target consumers are unhappy with... that's a problem, whether a few people are happy with it or not.

Unless this thing has an extremely low ES it will languish in Sideshow's warehouse for months. If it sells out at all. Yet still, a better approach and better result would surely have yielded far more sales.

Ultimately, it's lose-lose for everyone except the handful of people who like it.

That's not to say that it's wrong for you to like it or that's a problem. If you like it, cool. I'm just pointing out that it behooves Sideshow to think and do a better job with some of these products.

Last edited:
Of course they could have done a better job but unfortunatly this is what we got. And I agree its going to sit in the warehouse for a long time but if it comes down to this or nothing I still think its better to make it.

People always say the companies will listen if we don't buy it but has that really ever changed anything? We haven't bought a lot of stuff but they still keep making what a lot of people consider inferior products.

I'm not sure why I am trying to defend this thing so much since there is a good chance I'll cancel it but I guess I just don't see any reason to call something "garbage" just because I don't like it (if that was the case then 75% of what Sideshow makes would be garbage.)

It always has and always will come down to licensor approval. There are rare exceptions that have had "replica" quality versus what mostly happens is "idealized representation."

Venky said:
It always has and always will come down to licensor approval. There are rare exceptions that have had "replica" quality versus what mostly happens is "idealized representation."

These Ark faux pas by Sideshow can't be laid at the feet of Lucasfilm, who approved Hasbro's much more accurate 3.75" & 1:6 scaled versions.

I have to say after watching the video this may not be such an easy cancel for me. I think it looks pretty good.

Yeah, I decided some time ago that I would pick this up. I think it is a nice piece and a I gotta have an Ark in my collection.

The Ark looks nice in the video.
I'm still going to have to wait until someone posts in hand pics. The reviews from fellow Indy freaks will tell me what I need to know.
I'm going to have to go back to view Raiders and see if the Ark is lined with black fabric. I'm not sure that it is. I don't need embellishments from SS. Black felt is not that hard to put in there by yourself if desired.

:lecture Or when I can find one for a significant discount somewhere.

Absolutely. I wouldn't pay full price for this, but considering there is no exclusive, this will be around for a while through e-tailers. I'll wait for a nice deal, then take the plunge.

Back