Are prices getting out of control?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the $350 PFs were still $300 like they were last year when I started I'd probably be getting more.

I'm glad I got decent prices on some stuff before my time like Wolverine and Gambit PFs, Classic Iron Man, etc, before they leaped in price this year. Makes me feel better about what I planned to get but will now be passing on...Hulk vs Wolverine Dio, Hulk Maquette, Chewbacca, any Star Wars PFs...:( Had a lengthy list of upcoming things I want, crossed much of them off. I had a decent paying job and went statue crazy because it was affordable. Got laid off and don't make as much now, so I might need to make even more cuts. :dunno Sideshow has to take a backseat now. But as a positive it's made my collection much more focused, I'm not collecting things I don't really "need" (as if any of us really need these things)

Prices are ridiculous, doesn´t matter if it´s Sideshow or Hot Toys, it´s insane.
Especially in Europe, prices are terribly high.
Master Chief Premium Format is 500$ ! Terrible...

hell or high water, I'm getting that hulk vs. wolverine dio

sheila_broflovski_what_what_158.jpg

The prices are getting crazy and all it has made me do is be very selective in what I get.

Cost is the fairly much to only aspect in me not getting them. I just can't manage it any longer except on unusual events,the costs are definitely improving quicker than just financial factors...whats your opinion about my comments???

My opinion on your comments is that I think you mean the costs are increasing as opposed to improving. I am also collecting less. Prices are increasing while quality is going down, and so is customer service, with their new automated system. Wages have not increased with the inflation of these statues, and therefore it is inevitable that people will be buying less. Some statues simply aren't worth paying $350 for, and definitely not $400, unless wages increase by 34%. Frankly, I can't wait to stop buying this stuff. However, I have a few items I want to get, so I will. As I've said before, PFs are only worth about $150 in my mind. Comiquettes used to be $125. That was a little pricey but not unreasonable. $275 for a comiquette is outrageous. When you consider that Comiquettes cost $125 when PFs cost 300, it is clear that comiquettes have gone up more in price than PFs. Comiquettes have more than doubled. Can you imagine a $600 PF?

Last edited:
I'm new to this, my first two purchases were HT's DX08 and DX09. I love them. Spend time just looking at them every day.
I've pre-ordered the Arkham City Harley Quinn, which delivered to Aus, set me back about $150.

I'd love to get more statues and figures, but realistically I just can't justify the price points. I really, REALLY want Joker 2.0 but to know he's starting out just under $300 is really off-putting.

I want to buy that stuff... but then, I have a mortgage. And as so many of us are adults, I'm a bit surprised that the prices of this stuff doesn't really reflect the global financial situation.
I know, I know.. they're worth more and more over time, but seriously, I can't EVER see myself selling the DX08 or DX09 - so, that doesn't give me a ton of consolation.

I just reckon more things should be in the $100 - 200 price range and then I'd find myself investing in more items. Those are more achievable price points.
However, to someone who "doesn't get it", it's still a ridiculous price point.

So, my comics collection grows (as it's sooo cheap to grow) but figures and statues will be pretty stagnant for awhile I think!

Prices are more inconsistent then anything else. Statues like Vision and Scarlet Witch PFs are priced $25 to $50 too high. I see more value in Batman PF which is $50 more due to the sheer size of it.

It surprises me that new people are coming into the hobby. I understand us old timers that have been conditioned over time to tolerate the ever increasing prices, but if I were brand new to the hobby and saw that the average price was $200+, I'd say **** that.

Prices have shot up for everything, Iv tried to only collect Hot Toys but with them reaching the $250 range for a standard figure its getting out of hand. Its not like there investing in any new or major creative licenses, its just every blockbuster superhero movie that comes out gets a figure.

It surprises me that new people are coming into the hobby. I understand us old timers that have been conditioned over time to tolerate the ever increasing prices, but if I were brand new to the hobby and saw that the average price was $200+, I'd say **** that.

Hahaha. Yeah.

And I did for awhile. One of my mates re-introduced me to comics a year or two ago... and then, he introduced me to figures. He's an avid HT's Predator collector and 3A collector. The minute I saw the detail on a HT's pred, I thought - wow. very, very cool.

But it was when the HT's DX08 and 09 got released that I found myself completely hooked. I pre-ordered and then got stuffed around by a greedy bugger who, at the last minute, added several hundred dollars shipping to the final.. so I bit the bullet and let my deposit go.
Then, months later, snagged a pretty good deal on eBay to get them both. But it was all about timing... I had the spare coin, I had the desire to get them and then right place right time. Otherwise, I'd still be figureless.

But I'm an "obsessive" type. Once I like something, I can't get my mind off it. So I've been very careful to set myself ground rules of limiting my collecting to batman stuff.

As far as new customers are concerned prices are what they are, the older customers have the unfortunate knowledge and experience of price being less and having gone up :lol

Back