Are prices getting out of control?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I'm not in on the business side of things, I do not know what Sideshow's costs are for getting statues put together. I'm unsure of what their earnings are on each piece.

But for me, the prices are too much. Under $300 was much more feasible for me/us. And I just can't justify it as much as I once could. Sadly, when the Superman pf goes up, that will be the last PF on my order list. I'll have to live vicariously through all of you.

I hate to rain on people's parade, and I am a collector too. But I'm just starting to realize I just don't need to spend money on collecting these things anymore. The amount of money these things cost ,and the space and dust they collect sitting there is just not worth it.

I realized once I started selling stuff that I don't need them. I don't miss them. I can spend my money or SAVE my money for much more important things in life and down the road.

I'm pretty done and out of this hobby as well. After Batman and Superman PF, and the Droids, I'm pretty much done.

I outgrew the hobby, what can I say.

I hate to rain on people's parade, and I am a collector too. But I'm just starting to realize I just don't need to spend money on collecting these things anymore. The amount of money these things cost ,and the space and dust they collect sitting there is just not worth it.

I realized once I started selling stuff that I don't need them. I don't miss them. I can spend my money or SAVE my money for much more important things in life and down the road.

I'm pretty done and out of this hobby as well. After Batman and Superman PF, and the Droids, I'm pretty much done.

In some way I feel the same. When I got my latest Hot Toys figure late last week, which has been the first in many months, I just didn't get the thrill and joy I did as of the start of this year that came from the Batman 89 collectibles.

I've been putting my money towards camera and computer gear that gives me more satisfaction and joy than these figures used to give me. Maybe I'm burnt out on collectibles. I don't know but I'm just not getting the same buzz at all anymore. There's no longer that really must have feeling.

lol classic...

sure you are buddy....

I'm done aswell.

After:

all HT Terminator figures in 1/6 and 1/4
all Enterbay Terminator figures in 1/4
HT Batman Returns line
HT DX12
HT DX11
HT 89 Batmobile
any further HT Batman 89 figures
HT Robocop line
HT BTTF when I can fit them in
HT John McClane if made
HT Gladiat- yeah OK I'm nowhere near done.

lol classic...

sure you are buddy....

Why is that so hard to believe? Have you seen the stuff I am selling on this forum? lol
I've moved half my collection out.
Other than a few pieces, I just don't care that much anymore.
IT is possible bro lol
We're not ALL stuck for life or eternally addicted lol
Phases come and go.

I spend more money on workout supplies and supplements these days then I do collectibles lol

Now, I still have Dutch on Preorder from BBTS. And still havent' decided if I'm going to keep him. I probably will. Just because I have the Pred Maquette and haven't sold that yet. Of course some things are special.
And other than that these are my pre orders as we speak:

Droids
Batman

I didn't say I was 100% done, just pretty much done lol That's the trend right now and where it's headed for me personally.

Last edited:
I refocused my PF collection once before. I sold off about 18 pieces a few years back and started over. I kept 2 pieces out of the ones I had. I miss a few of the pieces I sold (Red Skull PF, Creature from the Black Lagoon PF), but I can honestly say I don't miss the others. Would I refocus my collection again? Absolutely not, not with the way prices are. What I have I'm happy with. Just a few more pieces to finish fine tuning the collection and them I'm done. If PF prices were still $250, there's no doubt that I would be buying more and maybe even refocusing the collection once again. But you've got to draw the line and make a decision somewhere.

As far as Hot Toys, I'm collecting the Cap figures and that's it. There's a lot out there that looks great, but I have no desire to spend $250 a pop on 1:6 figures every few months. If they were $125 or $150 each, then yes, I'd buy more. So the higher prices definitely affect my buying decisions.

:clap:clap:clap:clap

I collect all kinds of toy lines & sizes. Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Lord of the Rings, anything with a sci fi or fantasy spin.

I started collecting 3.75" figures when they were $5 a piece. $11 for 3.75" figures was my breaking point. I haven't bought a Star Wars, DC or Marvel figure that wasn't on sale all year. And when it comes to exclusives, $25 for Jocasta Nu?! I don't need granny at that price.

The toys have to have some quality. The last Star Trek movie figures and Terminator 4 figures were ghastly. They weren't even worth the clearance prices they dropped down to.

I stopped collecting Gentle Giant busts. Loved them at $45 when I started, and stopped when they hit $80. I need to thank them . They made exclusives I couldn't get for less than $200. Once I couldn't have a complete collection, it became much easier to drop the line. Several other lines have made that mistake.

I've been focusing on 12" Hot Toys and Sideshow lately. Started when they were $50 for Sideshow and $70 for Hot Toys. Over $200 for 12" Hot Toys is to much for a figure of a person wearing a suit. I loved Jim Gordon, but I just didn't see the value for my collection. Prices have climbed far faster than my salary and I'm getting far more selective. I have to be crazy about a figure to buy it at that price.

With all, unless the quality rises with the price, the line gets dropped.

I stopped buying the carded action figures a long time ago, so lost track of the prices. I wandered into Wal-mart not too long ago and perused the toy aisle out of curiosity and was floored to see the prices. Like $16 for an Avengers figure? TRU was even worse. The new TMNT piqued my curiosity, but quickly walked away when they wanted $25 each for the 11" figures. I know deals can be had, but it's definitely sticker shock.

I collect all kinds of toy lines & sizes. Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Lord of the Rings, anything with a sci fi or fantasy spin.

I started collecting 3.75" figures when they were $5 a piece. $11 for 3.75" figures was my breaking point. I haven't bought a Star Wars, DC or Marvel figure that wasn't on sale all year. And when it comes to exclusives, $25 for Jocasta Nu?! I don't need granny at that price.

The toys have to have some quality. The last Star Trek movie figures and Terminator 4 figures were ghastly. They weren't even worth the clearance prices they dropped down to.

I stopped collecting Gentle Giant busts. Loved them at $45 when I started, and stopped when they hit $80. I need to thank them . They made exclusives I couldn't get for less than $200. Once I couldn't have a complete collection, it became much easier to drop the line. Several other lines have made that mistake.

I've been focusing on 12" Hot Toys and Sideshow lately. Started when they were $50 for Sideshow and $70 for Hot Toys. Over $200 for 12" Hot Toys is to much for a figure of a person wearing a suit. I loved Jim Gordon, but I just didn't see the value for my collection. Prices have climbed far faster than my salary and I'm getting far more selective. I have to be crazy about a figure to buy it at that price.

With all, unless the quality rises with the price, the line gets dropped.

Mattel's Dark Knight Rises figures (not the Movie Masters) are crap too. They thought they could reduce the prices by shrinking the scale down from 6" to 3" and still charge the same as they did on the previous films but the quality is awful. Glad I only collect the Movie Masters but they are almost $20 each.

Wow this is making me think about how much money, time, and space is being spent on this hobby. Is it worth it? :dunno but anyways at least you are keeping a few. I hope I don't get rid of mine yet. So does anyone here who has been collecting for years and is still happy to keep going? Just some positive things to brighten up this thread? :wink1:

Wow this is making me think about how much money, time, and space is being spent on this hobby. Is it worth it? :dunno but anyways at least you are keeping a few. I hope I don't get rid of mine yet. So does anyone here who has been collecting for years and is still happy to keep going? Just some positive things to brighten up this thread? :wink1:

it's easier to collect when you already have the good **** :wink1:

it's easier to collect when you already have the good **** :wink1:

:goodpost: yes agree 100%. I feel much better now that I'm just about caught up. I'm only missing about 2 or 3 more then it's no more back tracking...:yess: one of them is colossus ex. :mad: if you get my drift. Oh wait I think you meant something else?

lol classic...

sure you are buddy....

I think it's meant to be irony, classic addict behaviour. I can give up any time, and I will after a beer, a bourbon, a couple of smokes and a hit on that crack pipe! ::wink1::wink1:

I've have cut out 1/6 figures (the only exception MIGHT be the new Vader if I think the price is right) and have cut back on a lot of other things as well. I am going to get the SW Mythos line and I have Batman PF on order but thats pretty much it for me... the costs are just getting way out of hand.

Yes prices are getting out of control.

Indiana Jones pursuit of the ark - $500
Batman PF, Rhino, Skaar (almost) - $400
Hulk Maquette - $650
Sagat - $380

You usually need to spend at least $350 now to get a decent statue. With shipping it's what? $375?

Arthas is amazing and it's $350. I'd be a lot happier if it was $300. I guess they're not getting completely out of control but they're getting up there.

Back