Are prices getting out of control?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With rare exceptions, I've started holding off on buying something when it comes out, Letting time pass and prices drop.

Well, I already paid for Two Face :lol

I'm thinking I may cancel the Ex on Vito as the hat really isn't that exciting and probably not something I'd ever actually use.

Yeah the recent HT's (Sideshow) exclusives have been rather lame BUT its also fair for the collector (like me) that is forced to purchase from within Canada or overseas.

In this case along with Dutch the exclusives have been very insignificant indeed.

Yep, the only one I really want is the extra helmet that comes with the Predator. Sure I don't need a clean bio that doesn't light up... but still looks cool.

The Don hat just looks dumb and the headphones that come with Dutch would never be used for display.

sigh, but this forum isnt about 'saving the needy', its about collectibles

I think everyone has their limitations. I enjoy my collectibles, but I can't buy everything. And even if I did, where would I put it all? And why would I want hundreds of statues and 12" figures that I can't get back what I paid for? Life happens and sometimes hobbies need to be cut back or given up. Having less to deal with is much more manageable.

The current state of collectibles is good for me. I'm not tempted to buy just anything, I'm more focused in my purchases, and I'm saving more money.

I'm under the same boat. In my case, I took a major cut in pay to stay with my firm this year (20% of last years salary) and prices for collectibles have increased dramatically. Far from a win-win scenario for me. I respect you guys who can keep collecting without using credit cards buying everything and anything. I simply can't do it. As a matter of fact, for the first time that I've been collecting...I've been scaling back and looking at some of the things I previously bought asking myself "did I really need to buy this?"

I'm under the same boat. In my case, I took a major cut in pay to stay with my firm this year (20% of last years salary) and prices for collectibles have increased dramatically. Far from a win-win scenario for me. I respect you guys who can keep collecting without using credit cards buying everything and anything. I simply can't do it. As a matter of fact, for the first time that I've been collecting...I've been scaling back and looking at some of the things I previously bought asking myself "did I really need to buy this?"

most purchases are bought on impulse and instant satisfaction...there is nothing we buy ,that we talk about on this site, that we truely need! :D

aside:
I like MANY franchises and I cant understand why (short of $) some people would totally ignore other charcters just because they arent thier 'focus'.

How could i ever choose betwn Alien/predator/terminator/star wars/...i dont have to buy EVERYTHING but even if i dont have a predator collection, if they make a cool one or the price is right, why NOT add it to my collection?

aside:
I like MANY franchises and I cant understand why (short of $) some people would totally ignore other charcters just because they arent thier 'focus'.

How could i ever choose betwn Alien/predator/terminator/star wars/...i dont have to buy EVERYTHING but even if i dont have a predator collection, if they make a cool one or the price is right, why NOT add it to my collection?

Plenty of folks collect numerous franchises, others just focus on one movie and others just focus on one character. And there's nothing wrong with any of it. It's what you buy that you enjoy the most that matters.

aside:

You don't have to go highend all the time. Say you want a Terminator 2 after getting a Hot Toys Predator, you could always pre-order the Neca 12" figure.

most purchases are bought on impulse and instant satisfaction...there is nothing we buy ,that we talk about on this site, that we truely need! :D

true...but I need some of them to display in my movie room. :D:cool:

Nah, of course none of this crap is a need and hopefully no one is putting off their needs to pay for it. Although, sadly I'm sure it happens quite often.

Yes, prices are out of control. My first 1/6 figures that drew me into this hobby were $30. If I were thinking about taking the plunge into 1/6 scale now, the prices would probably scare me away. There's no shallow end to this hobby anymore. It's the deep end or stay out of the pool.

prices are growin but so is quality. You get what you pay for IMO. I'm not saying it's not a pain in the ass to pay as much as we do. I'm just saying it's worth it when you see the figure or statue in your hand.

Yes, prices are out of control. My first 1/6 figures that drew me into this hobby were $30. If I were thinking about taking the plunge into 1/6 scale now, the prices would probably scare me away. There's no shallow end to this hobby anymore. It's the deep end or stay out of the pool.

No doubt... I think my first high-end 12" figure was $20 or $30 :lol And I still have him... the Vampyre :rock

I collect many lines (star wars,gijoe,mcfarlane,SS, 1/6th, 3 3/4...the last year for sure has seen many of these prices skyrocketing, my question, how much higher can some of these prices go before you quit buying?
Im almost at that point with Star wars hasbro stuf (8 bucks a fig is a joke), and the SS 1/6th figs now seeming to START at 79.99 no matter who it is is making me question my purchases way more than i used to...

I can't believe how close that figures like Hot Toys are catching up with Premium Formats!.....It's really getting beyond the joke! :horror Of course,we wouldn't want the likes of Sideshow,hasbro Hot Toys folding like some previous makers but if they keep rising prices,they will end up shooting themselves in the foot!!

On the flip side,it should boost the prices of sold outs and second owner stuff!! :banana

It's just going to get worse. Economic recession/depression brings inflation as a result of a de-vauled dollar. I have all but stopped my spending on this junk until I see some signs of necessities going back down. I.E.---ya gotta eat, have a plce to live, and gas to get to work. then maybe clothes. Somewhere waaaay down the list is worrying about whether or not I can buy a new action figure, model, statue, etc.
Marvel (and soon DC) raised their prices from $2.99 to $3.99 per comic on a lot of better selling titles. Why? Dollar aint what it used to be.:sick

I can't believe how close that figures like Hot Toys are catching up with Premium Formats!.....It's really getting beyond the joke! :horror Of course,we wouldn't want the likes of Sideshow,hasbro Hot Toys folding like some previous makers but if they keep rising prices,they will end up shooting themselves in the foot!!

On the flip side,it should boost the prices of sold outs and second owner stuff!! :banana

I don't know about all that... The Predator is about as expensive as it gets with a retail of $175 for the Sidehow Ex, where the current low-end for a PF is $279 up to $399 for something like Blackbeard.

Back