Are prices getting out of control?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cost for the hobby is crazy. At $160.00+ a figure that sits on a shelf and more often than not depreciates in value can be difficult to justify. In addition, a lot of the figures are on the same re-used body type with a new or different head sculpt and perhaps new clothing. How to justify the cost of such a purchase?

I prefer looking at the positive outcomes of my overspending. All the new licenses and character licenses (HT) is able to secure (Predator, Godfather, Watchmen, Wolverine .....etc.) The new body types produced (IM Mark III & II, Arnie's muscular body and the two new slim TT). Finally, the salary they pay to keep their awesome scultpors who produce amazing figures.

I learned to be more selective and avoid impulse buying or being a completist only to run out of room, re-sale figures and often lose money. I have what I like, displayed how I like and love this hobby :banana

Be very selective and you'll be fine. You will find yourself buying maybe 1 or 2 pieces every 2 months. My primary collectible is anything Terminator (1&2) after that I really don't care much anymore.

Although sometimes a month like this just slams you... I am sadly not as selective as you and will (at least) be paying for Dutch, Vito, Predator and Two-Face this month :google

yeah, but you can blame that on Disney.
Just that logo = 30% price increase it seems.

SS doesnt set pricing for figures they only distribute. Wel I guess they do, but Im sure theyre just trying to maintain a profitable margin thats based against the MSRP which is predetermined not by them.

I understand that 100%, as well as the fact that the Mickey figure is not a Sideshow one, they are just distributing; but when it comes down to it it is still a $149 figure.

That is what I am really interested about, the high price. It might be justified with licensing fees and what not but it is still a steep price for a vinyl doll.

Luis

$149 for a vinyl figure does seem ridiculous... but that's easy for me to say as I don't collect that kind of item :lol

Although sometimes a month like this just slams you... I am sadly not as selective as you and will (at least) be paying for Dutch, Vito, Predator and Two-Face this month :google

So about $650+ then right? Yikes! The same thing happened to me back when the TDK stuff was just coming out.

The cost for the hobby is crazy. At $160.00+ a figure that sits on a shelf and more often than not depreciates in value can be difficult to justify.

If by value you mean the ebay price, then why not wait a few months after release for
the price to come down before you buy?

So about $650+ then right? Yikes! The same thing happened to me back when the TDK stuff was just coming out.

Well when you put it like that it just sounds bad :lol Damn, I actually didn't realize it was that much...

Might have to put Vito on the backburner :lol

The price increases, and the lack of value tagged with the price in some cases, have dramatically changed my collecting habits. I used to dabble in a variety of movie licenses from various companies and various lines. No longer. I liquidated what I had and I'm down to one license: Indy, and that's simply for nostalgic reasons. He's hands-down my favorite movie character. Honestly, if it wasn't for Sideshow's efforts to continue the Indy line, I'd no longer be collecting anything. The day the line ends is the day my hobby ends.

Well when you put it like that it just sounds bad :lol Damn, I actually didn't realize it was that much...

Might have to put Vito on the backburner :lol

:horror Not Vito man! :mad: Tell Two Face to take a hike, its overpriced imo. I sold mine ............... well then what the hell haven't I sold I guess :D

...i think it really stinks that the best solution to the problem is not to buy or to collect less things...thats not a solution ;)

i hear you on the rise of prices. I'm an avid comic reader and because each comic book now cost $3.99 I stopped reading most titles and will wait for TPB instead.

I've been collecting 1:6th for about a year now, and live in the UK. It's a bloody expensive hobby, but I'm now firmly addicted.:horror

Prices are getting a bit silly. I recently paid £55.00 for the SS Stormtrooper from Play.com and then £75.00 for the Clone Trooper which is a helluva hike in a couple of months.

The HT Hellboy cost £135.00 also from Play, but it was the best price I could find. I'll sadly have to pass on Abe as I just can't afford him.

Figures these days are amazing but if they get any more expensive I'm going to have to find a new hobby.

...i think it really stinks that the best solution to the problem is not to buy or to collect less things...thats not a solution ;)

Agreed, the companies know that it will not happen. Like those mass e-mails that say lets protest the rise of gas prices. On this day no one purchase any gas, with one day the gas companies will feel it and lower the price.

C'mon, everyone buys gas, it is a major necessity. The same with collecting, right? We need it, right?

Wait a minute, my wife may have a point..........

Luis

if I (or other collectors) dont support these products we want-based solely on price, the line or companies will die. Its not because we dont want the product, its because they maybe overestimated how much they can charge us for them.

Are the products great , yeah, but at some point people wake up and realize that oin the most part these are kinda just 'nice to have' memories/toys, if they were more reasonably priced, the hobby would thrive, im not so sure it isnt coming to a head soon...

The combination of rising prices, reduced credit, and uncertain economy is forcing me to cut back on my collecting. Still getting my most wanted figures but I'm forgoing most of the exclusives to save $$$ and cancelling (or not ordering) some of the minor charactors.
I also had to cut out PF to afford the new Hot Toys figures.

I tend to collect all kinds of lines but I'm not a completest.

:horror Not Vito man! :mad: Tell Two Face to take a hike, its overpriced imo. I sold mine ............... well then what the hell haven't I sold I guess :D

Well, I already paid for Two Face :lol

I'm thinking I may cancel the Ex on Vito as the hat really isn't that exciting and probably not something I'd ever actually use.

I think we're seeing a side of both prices going out of control on some items AND quality getting out of control.

With the American economy, obviously companies are suffering and we're getting corners cut and quality slides. Look at action figures now...4-5 inch tall figures are now become the new "standard" as opposed to the former 6-7 inch figures. I'm sure costs in plastic have to do with that.

In terms of price, I have to pick on Sideshow here because they are the most obvious guilty party here. From a BUSINESS STAND-POINT, I see why they do these changes...to cut costs and save money...but they're based upon a business that takes pride in top quality items...so they really anger their customers when they cut corners with their final products. So we are getting items that are PROMISED at a certain price with a certain level of quality only to discover the end result is NOT what it was promised. Sideshow takes clear advantage out of everyone with that and NO notification to the customers.

Prices are getting higher because of the economy, but quality is out of control because of it as well. Certain companies are not delivering what customers are expecting to receive.

When there are people in the world who can't afford to buy food and have no roof over there head exist, not being able to buy every collectible that comes out seems so trivial.

When there are people in the world who can't afford to buy food and have no roof over there head exist, not being able to buy every collectible that comes out seems so trivial.

sigh, but this forum isnt about 'saving the needy', its about collectibles

Back