Aragorn...fixable...where's my dremel?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daelith

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I looked over the 12" and was thinking that if I bought him, I'd get the regular one on ebay...so that I can perform some massive plastic surgery on him. It's doable, but it's gonna require alot of work, which I suppose can be said of most customs. Was playing around with Photoshop to see how much work would be required and came to the following conclusions about what I need to do:

- Chop off a bit his head
- Soften the bags under his eyes
- Fix eyes
- Smooth the furrows on his brow
- Resculpt mouth and nose...sand here and there, add here and there.
- Lighten skin tone...add a bit of yellow.
- Lighten eyebrows...possibly sand them off and re-do since it doesn't look like it's flowing right.
- And of course, make the cleft in his chin more prominent.

Biggest problem, however, is the distance from the bottom of his nose to his mouth...it has to be reduced. Gonna be pain in the ass to move his mouth up.

Probably more to it, but that's a rough outline of what needs to be done...so...does anyone have a spare Aragorn they can send me?

Below is my adobe once-over:
aragorn_fixed.jpg

Regarding questions about the middle pic. It's a copy of the model and I had to do the changes pretty much in 5x5 pixel increments using various photoshop tools (clone, airbrush, scaling). If I had just blended his image from the left, it would've looked identical to Viggo's photo; however, it would not have given me an idea of what needs to be done.

Last edited:
Wow. I thought that middle one looked great! Yes, his nose is a bit more flared, so I don't see how a dremel would help. Now that you've pointed it out, there's just too many things going against this sculpt from the get go. In fact the middle one looks more like my Toybiz Roto 12" version . . .

Radagaster said:
Wow. I thought that middle one looked great! Yes, his nose is a bit more flared, so I don't see how a dremel would help. Now that you've pointed it out, there's just too many things going against this sculpt from the get go. In fact the middle one looks more like my Toybiz Roto 12" version . . .

Was thinking I just throw resin on him wherever I need extra flesh. Worst case scenario, I'm going to have create a mold of him and fix his face with super sculpey...which might be the easiest way anyhow...but that would certainly involve going the whole 9 yards =/

Last edited:
Daelith - That second pic is excellent!! After looking at the pics side-by-side, I would almost say you'd be better off resculpting a new head if you're going to do a custom job on him. It would likely be less work.

Your pics really show that SS's sculpt is waaaay too long in the face from the preview shot.
Sounds like a huge undertaking to get this one to look good! But if you have the skills...

I really hope SS stretched this preview pic, and are just playing games with us. :horror

Great work ! You have solidified my desire not to get this line ! I already have the Toy Biz version at $ 12.95 and definitely will not fork over 5 times that much for what I have seen so far. More money for the PF , yeh :D

Great work daelith !. That's more like it !.
With Viggo's picture as well it shows just how much the new 12" is off the mark. The nostrils are not flared enough, no cleft in the chin and the bottom lip is too full.
Does anyone think that this could be a recurring theme with the new 12" line or do you think that Sideshow will learn from each sculpt and hopefully improve ?.
Don't know why i'm complaining because i know i'm going to buy it anyway just like everything else LOTR !!!:google

I have to admit that the middle pic is spot-on.

As for the Toy-Biz 12" version, that headsculpt is attrocious. There's no comparison. Legolas is even worse. The only redeeming figures are Gimli and Bilbo, the rest can be tossed.

If anyone is interested, I have a NRFB Toybiz Legolas, Ringwraith and Bilbo available. Also have the Aragorn but removed from box. :naughty

I really hope the SS guys are reading this thread...I might even post this thread to their customer service email... we have really talented people in the board!! Well done man!

That middle pic really shows how much the SideShow version is off the mark :google

But I'm still gonna order him anyway :D

Actually the middle pic the head is too compressed compared to the pic of Viggo. The lips are too thin as well. I think this exercise did show that it just may be the shadows on the sculpt that are causing people to miss the resemblance.

Darklord Dave said:
I think this exercise did show that it just may be the shadows on the sculpt that are causing people to miss the resemblance.

All that hard work for nothing daelith. Apparently, its just a matter of shadows. :D

Dude wow that is some commitment, you must have spent so much time on this, I would have never done that.

Just for the amt of time you put it in to this I think Sideshow should send you one for free.

I don't think that middle shot looks any better. Is it the best Viggio sculpt ever? No. Is it the worst? No. I personally do see Viggio in there so I'm ok with it as long as the rest of the figure looks good.

It does look like a lot of work and I think just the change in skin tone helped a lot.

But, and someone may have mentioned this before, it's just one picture! Opinions have been swayed before when more information was available.

If you're talking about the photoshopping, welp, some people are quicker than others. Being a graphic designer, I work with PS on a daily basis...so it takes me all of 10 mins to create a rough like the one I did with Aragorn. Being a sculptor, I suspect it would take me a couple of days to customize, and that's more due to the prep work, drying time, etc.

Last edited:
Darklord Dave said:
Actually the middle pic the head is too compressed compared to the pic of Viggo. The lips are too thin as well. I think this exercise did show that it just may be the shadows on the sculpt that are causing people to miss the resemblance.
:confused: :google

Hmm....I don't think so. The middle pic is by far better and it isn't about the shadows. The most glaring omission is the cleft chin, which is very characteristic of Aragorn. Personally, on a scale of 1 to 10, I put this sculpt at about a 5.5 to 6. However, I know that I will order him anyway because it still is by far, the best 12" Aragorn out there. Every figure can't be perfect, in a perfect world..yes. However, I don't reside there. :gandalf

Brad

Back