Aquaman (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im guessing you dont live in a country with a reining monarchy :lol

just google some of the antics of the british monarchy :horror:lol

they mostly all come around in the end and i guess king arthur will do all right in the end :)

That's not the point. Arthur isn't portrayed that way in the comics or recent animated movies.

Aquabro is a meathead that "does his best thinking...when he's not thinking." Wut...he makes pee jokes while the cliché smart lady figures out everything and rolls her eyes at the dumb...but lovable man. It's like some kind of sitcom. Dumb guy with smart lady...but somehow he's the one who can save everyone. :slap

If people give this movie a chance, i think they will be pleasantly surprised. James Wan doesnt make bad movies

ALL directors, even the best and greatest, have had movie mishaps.

Who is James Wan anyway?

I'd never even heard of him before nor recognized his name. I had to look him up. He's directed and produced a bunch of horror movies (which I hate and am not a fan of the genre) and he did Furious 7. I've only seen Furious 7. Nothing memorable in that dumb franchise that won't go away. They are entertaining, but that's it. They're summer popcorn movies. And they rely on star power (Vin Diesel, The Rock, Jason Statham, Kurt Russel....) and the fans of those stars. James Wan and Jason Momoa alone are not gonna carry Aquaman through the pearly comic book movie gates towards success.

It's like the fans that were psyched for Venom. Tom Hardy and Michele whatever her name signing on for Venom meant it was gonna be a dark, gritty, serious movie with a great story. What we got, according to reviews, was a buddy comedy and a throw away female character.

And last time I checked, Aquaman is not a horror movie, nor a movie in the same vein of the Furious series. So to me, "James Wan" caries no weight at all as to whether this will be good just because he is directing.

Mark Millar approves!

Mark-Millar-Aquaman-Tweet.jpg

James Wan doesnt make bad movies

Mark Millar agrees!

Mark-Millar-Aquaman-Trailer-Tweet-2.jpg

ALL directors, even the best and greatest, have had movie mishaps.

Who is James Wan anyway?

I'd never even heard of him before nor recognized his name. I had to look him up. He's directed and produced a bunch of horror movies (which I hate and am not a fan of the genre) and he did Furious 7. I've only seen Furious 7. Nothing memorable in that dumb franchise that won't go away. They are entertaining, but that's it. They're summer popcorn movies. And they rely on star power (Vin Diesel, The Rock, Jason Statham, Kurt Russel....) and the fans of those stars. James Wan and Jason Momoa alone are not gonna carry Aquaman through the pearly comic book movie gates towards success.

It's like the fans that were psyched for Venom. Tom Hardy and Michele whatever her name signing on for Venom meant it was gonna be a dark, gritty, serious movie with a great story. What we got, according to reviews, was a buddy comedy and a throw away female character.

And last time I checked, Aquaman is not a horror movie, nor a movie in the same vein of the Furious series. So to me, "James Wan" caries no weight at all as to whether this will be good just because he is directing.

title Year credit rotten tomatoe score
Saw 2004 Director/screen writer. 49%. (But it’s a cult classic)
Insidious. 2011 Director 66%
Insidious 2 2013 Director 39%
Conjuring 2013 Director 86%
Furious 7 2015 Director 80%

Insidious 2 was his worst reviewed movie, but he was pressured to rush the sequel out while he was filming the conjuring. I didn’t list any of his producer credits. But Ya if you don’t like horror you probably won’t be too impressed. While these review aren’t all super high, they are really good for the horror genre.. critics usually hate those movies, the conjuring is a classic. I’m not a big saw fan but it does have a cult following he created jigsaw and produced nearly everyone of the sequels.

You can’t make yourself look more like a tool than Millar just did with that ridiculous statement for everyone to see.

Yeah sure this Aquaman trailer made the MCU you know IW look like 70’s Marvel tv.

Yeah sure ok Millar when everyone was watching IW the first thing that came to their minds was the 70’s Spiderman tv show you’re 100% right.

What a tool.

I like the "DC back in the game" line. :lol I hope it's the beginning of something good along with WW84 and Joker, but at this point, there is no game to get back into. Thats done. Disney Marvel is by itself with no equals.

DCEU trying to do a brunette Thor.

Aquabro is a meathead that "does his best thinking...when he's not thinking." Wut...he makes pee jokes while the cliché smart lady figures out everything and rolls her eyes at the dumb...but lovable man. It's like some kind of sitcom. Dumb guy with smart lady...but somehow he's the one who can save everyone. :slap

Seeing these two posts together made me realize that MCU Thor in everything after the original Avengers and before Infinity War is essentially the same character as DCEU Aquaman.

I like the "DC back in the game" line. :lol I hope it's the beginning of something good along with WW84 and Joker, but at this point, there is no game to get back into. Thats done. Disney Marvel is by itself with no equals.

Yep. Something to be said for nowhere to go but up. IMO it looked all right for what it is. Popcorn movie *shrug*.

What’s so audacious about a studio spoiling all the big action beats in a trailer?

That’s desperation not audacious lol

I guess they didn’t learn a damn thing from revealing WW grand entrance and Doomsday in the BvS trailer did they.

Yes WB is taking such bold risks that they’re already remaking TDK with just Joker lol

Wow ONE character how bold.

Well, I really liked the trailer, and I think Momoa's characterization of Aquaman is cool.
Never read the comics, so I don't really care if he was portrayed differently in them. Besides, from what I can see, he's grown up in a fisher town, without any "royal" education, so why should he act regally?
Once he gets the crown and all the refinement from the Atlantis court, I'm sure he'll get a bit more polished.

That's not the point. Arthur isn't portrayed that way in the comics or recent animated movies.

might not be, im not that familiar with recent comics but i thought he was portrayed as a belligerent drunk in one of the recent dc cartoon films :dunno

,but the point i was making was that even though they may start off one way ,they can change as time and responsibility kicks in
case point our own prince harry

harry_header_0.jpg

Prince Harry has come a long way since his bad boy days to emerge as arguably Britain’s most loved royal.
By Jim Mitchell
28 AUG 2017 - 2:32 PM UPDATED 28 AUG 2017 - 2:42 PM

It wasn’t that long ago that Prince Harry (aka His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales) was deemed a write-off. After losing his mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, at just 12 years old in 1997, a cheeky, relatively buoyant childhood in the public eye became laden with burden. At 17, Harry’s party boy ways became evident, the beginning of a decade or so of scandalous behaviour that would bring the monarchy into disrepute.

But much has changed since then. Harry, at 32, along with big brother Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, has become an unlikely saviour of the royal family, following in the footsteps of his ancestors (see SBS documentary The Royals Who Rescued the Monarchy) and dedicating his life to social activism just like his mother. He’s arguably now the most approachable royal since Diana.

Here we chart how he went from disgraced party prince to beloved, upstanding royal.

pretty sure if it can happen in real life to a real life royal ,it could happen to a made up one in a made up film

but your mileage may vary :)

Well, I really liked the trailer, and I think Momoa's characterization of Aquaman is cool.
Never read the comics, so I don't really care if he was portrayed differently in them. Besides, from what I can see, he's grown up in a fisher town, without any "royal" education, so why should he act regally?
Once he gets the crown and all the refinement from the Atlantis court, I'm sure he'll get a bit more polished.

:clap:hi5:

You can’t make yourself look more like a tool than Millar just did with that ridiculous statement for everyone to see.

Yeah sure this Aquaman trailer made the MCU you know IW look like 70’s Marvel tv.

Yeah sure ok Millar when everyone was watching IW the first thing that came to their minds was the 70’s Spiderman tv show you’re 100% right.

What a tool.

It could be a decent film for all I yet know but, for me, the whole DCEU endeavor is tainted by its rush-job foundations. So it's hard for me to look at that trailer and not just see a videogame. All I can do is watch it (at home, at some point).

Back