Apple iPhone - Who's getting one...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I was thinking. The Ipod is too old now. The Zune is technically more advanced and a better value. But I just like the Ipod too much, but they probably won't have a new one until maybe next year so all that's here now is the Iphone, but it's really expensive.

I'm gonna wait for the iPhone Shuffle. The only problem is that I can't pick a contact in my list to call, I just have to call people at random until it hits the person I want to speak to. :D

I have been reading some of the reviews and this phone is lacking some key features. I have a PDA phone which is basicly the same thing. No voice dial, nor corp. email. This this is geared to tech freaks and apple freaks. The thing is I think that this type of phone is mostly used by business people. I know mine is quite helpful. And if this is anything like the first few gens of the IPod I hope people buy the warrenty coverage.

Based on watching the keynote speach about iPhone, my understanding of it was that it is sort of Apple's attempt to make many, but not all, features of a typical blackberry and such, better than what is currently on the market, better means of text messaging and things like that, combined with iTunes audio and video to act as an iPod as well to slim down how many devices you may have with you at a time, but the overall sense I was left with is it has a little for everyone, but it's not quite a full package for any one group, such as corporate owners.

Just got back from the store - got myself an 8GB version. Love it so far. Extremely intuitive - haven't even looked at the manual.

I'll play around for a few days and share my thoughts later - if anyone is interested

Call me ;-)

ChrisfromSideshow said:
Just got back from the store - got myself an 8GB version. Love it so far. Extremely intuitive - haven't even looked at the manual.

I'll play around for a few days and share my thoughts later - if anyone is interested

MaulFan said:
Based on watching the keynote speach about iPhone, my understanding of it was that it is sort of Apple's attempt to make many, but not all, features of a typical blackberry and such, better than what is currently on the market, better means of text messaging and things like that, combined with iTunes audio and video to act as an iPod as well to slim down how many devices you may have with you at a time, but the overall sense I was left with is it has a little for everyone, but it's not quite a full package for any one group, such as corporate owners.
Well they must not have done very good reseach if the plan was to make it better. One the lack of a keyboard was a big mistake. Second big mistake no voice dialing. Third big mistake the inability to get corp email.
Those are the three key features to a blackberry/prior PDA phones and they left all of them out.

I will say there a few cool seconday features on this I would have liked on mine but I wouldnt give up those 3 for the others.

It has a touch-screen keyboard. :monkey1

keyboard_hero20070629.png

https://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/keyboard.html

Also it will sync with virtually any IMAP/POP3 mail server.

Last edited:
dekadentdave said:
It has a touch-screen keyboard. :monkey1

keyboard_hero20070629.png

https://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/keyboard.html

Also it will sync with virtually any IMAP/POP3 mail server.
Touch keyboard suck, and many reviees have complained about this.

Ok they cant connect to outlook mail servers unless they are set up for IMPA oor POP3 but most are not set up to allow that. Outlook mail is used by most bigger businesses.

Most PDA's use a stylus. No reason you can't use one with this.

Most corporate e-mail can be accessed through a client VPN that can be accessed via web browsers. Don't see why you couldn't log into a corporate VPN session via its web browser to get your company e-mail.

Like I said, the shortcomings, I believe, are because they tried to take a bit of everything and didn't catch it all, and future generations of it will continue to improve, Apple is very good for improving on products. As for the keypad, they didn't like it, they felt the touch screen design was better and from what I saw in demonstration, it looks like it would work much better. Dave just curious, what sort of Apple employee are you?

What sort of Apple employee am I? Not sure how I should respond to that question? :lol

No, I don't work in sales.

The thing with Apple though is they always go for simplicity of design. No need for a break-out keypad interface. Just takes some adjustment. If you have the fat-finger syndrome just get a stylus. No biggie.

dekadentdave said:
What sort of Apple employee am I? Not sure how I should respond to that question? :lol

The thing with Apple though is they always go for simplicity of design. No need for a break-out keypad interface. Just takes some adjustment. If you have the fat-finger syndrome just get a stylus. No biggie.

Ya, I realized what direction that question could get answered in after I posted it. I was just curious because with all of my time using MAC and Apple equipement and software for my graphics, I've really become a fan of everything they do and I'm always intrigued when I come accross others with ties to it, I don't find many outside of my graphics classmates.

dekadentdave said:

Oh my God ... it's all coming together now. I know who DecDave really is -

mac-guys.jpg

Loved your new movie "Dave" - :monkey3

DouglasMcc said:
Oh my God ... it's all coming together now. I know who DecDave really is -

mac-guys.jpg

Loved your new movie "Dave" - :monkey3

:lol :rotfl :lol

man i really hate those commecials! wow, i am so uncool for having a Windows operating system.

The Mac will know it has arrived when hackers actually care to hack their operating system.

I hate those Mac commercials. They are so fundamentally wrong. Seriously, a Mac is technically a PC and what they are really comparing is just operating systems. And they fail to mention that essentially you're paying like $400 extra just to have the Mac operating system.

But I would like an Iphone. But again, too expensive.

I really wonder why people lined up at the stores for the phone when they can now just go online and order from the Apple store.

I actually think Macs are quite reasonably price. And they come fully setup and with all the bells and whistels and you don't have to add your preferred virus software and what not. Mac does all it's own security updates and they don't use 3rd party software developers... basically I think my Mac is awesome and I haven't (knock on wood) had a single issue with it in the 2 yrs I've had it, since making the move from Windows... PS - I love those ads!

I've had my G4 powermac for 7 years. Still runs like a champ. Only issue I've ever had was a hard drive failure 2 years ago. During those 7 years my father has purchased 4 PC's always riddled with spyware and viruses. It pays to invest in a mac.

Gosh, I AM starting to sound like those ads! :slap

Back