Apple iPhone - Who's getting one...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price is my only problem with Macs. I use programs that benefit greatly from increased power and for the premium that you'd pay for a Mac I can get a windows-based PC that will have more power.

Plus there isn't a version of 3ds Max for Mac so that kind of ruins any reason to get a Mac anyways:monkey1

Got one and I'm totally impressed with it. I love the touch keyboard and I will most definitely use all the bells and whistles, as I'm a Mac user already.

Will wait a bit to see how well it works.

About time someone came out with something comparable to my Sidekick.

I iwsh there was footage of her (no doubt) arguing w/management about it:lol After working in retail for 4 years as a manager (no longer happily) I love seeing pigs like this get the smile slapped off their overconfident flipper @ss faces.

PosterBoyKelly said:
I iwsh there was footage of her (no doubt) arguing w/management about it:lol After working in retail for 4 years as a manager (no longer happily) I love seeing pigs like this get the smile slapped off their overconfident flipper @ss faces.

i was thinking the same thing.

they aren't going for much over retail on ebay.

grangewallis said:
I actually think Macs are quite reasonably price. And they come fully setup and with all the bells and whistels and you don't have to add your preferred virus software and what not. Mac does all it's own security updates and they don't use 3rd party software developers... basically I think my Mac is awesome and I haven't (knock on wood) had a single issue with it in the 2 yrs I've had it, since making the move from Windows... PS - I love those ads!

The reason you can get away with out a virus check is numbers there are not enough macs to make it worth it to make the viruses. Seriously I hate it when people say that Macs cant get viruses , cant get hacked becasue that is complete BS. It Macs start to equal the number of Windows PCs better get you a Virus Check.

PS I have not hae a virus check in about 7 years and the only Viruses I have are those I collected over time on a backup drive.

mfoga said:
The reason you can get away with out a virus check is numbers there are not enough macs to make it worth it to make the viruses. Seriously I hate it when people say that Macs cant get viruses , cant get hacked becasue that is complete BS. It Macs start to equal the number of Windows PCs better get you a Virus Check.

PS I have not hae a virus check in about 7 years and the only Viruses I have are those I collected over time on a backup drive.
Wrong. The Mac OS prohibits the installation of unknown programs without the user admin's manual consent. There are in fact several malware virus' that have been written for mac that have failed penetration into the OS because it never gets installed. It prompts you to install itself. What idiot is going to allow the installation of an unknown program? Even trojans built into cracked software distributed through p-to-p, torrent, and other filesharing networks. Virus scan software for mac is to clean off dormant windows virus attached to documents transmitted from a windows user to prevent you from infecting another windows user.

The argument that there aren't a lot of viruses for mac because they have less that 10% of market is complete and utter FUD. Viruses are spyware are written for the sole purpose of destroying and hijacking data indiscriminate of the user's operating system. No hacker out there is going to care what operating system you are using. Most of the information out there about why macs don't get viruses is disinformation perpetuated by windows users.

Last edited:
I will probably get one....have to have all the latest gadgets.

Looks pretty cool.

one of my friends brought his over last night.
they are indeed just as cool as they seem. Even a little more impressive than I was expecting.
although Ive heard the mobile downloading is slow. his was running thru my wireles connection and it was pretty fast

mfoga said:

this is true about Macs....there is not perfect OS that can't be hacked or get viruses.

dekadentdave said:
Wrong. The Mac OS prohibits the installation of unknown programs without the user admin's manual consent. There are in fact several malware virus' that have been written for mac that have failed penetration into the OS because it never gets installed. It prompts you to install itself. What idiot is going to allow the installation of an unknown program? Even trojans built into cracked software distributed through p-to-p, torrent, and other filesharing networks. Virus scan software for mac is to clean off dormant windows virus attached to documents transmitted from a windows user to prevent you from infecting another windows user.

The argument that there aren't a lot of viruses for mac because they have less that 10% of market is complete and utter FUD. Viruses are spyware are written for the sole purpose of destroying and hijacking data indiscriminate of the user's operating system. No hacker out there is going to care what operating system you are using. Most of the information out there about why macs don't get viruses is disinformation perpetuated by windows users.

That's also true for some part with Windows. I don't get viruses in windows or any adware/spyware. That's because I know what to do and what not to do. Plus Firefox is a really good browser that does well at blocking a lot of the internet crap.

And Macs can be hacked and have been hacked and there have been viruses made. In fact, there was some news a while ago where someone hacked through Mac using something with Quicktime. Of course it was fixed but still. There have also been some professionals who say the Windows Vista code is more secure than Mac, but I'm not actually sure that's true.

mfoga said:

Actually, I never said Macs don't get viruses... If you read what I said...
GrangeWallis said:
I actually think Macs are quite reasonably price. And they come fully setup and with all the bells and whistels and you don't have to add your preferred virus software and what not. Mac does all it's own security updates and they don't use 3rd party software developers...
I never said anything about Macs not getting Viruses, I just pointed out I don't need Nortons & Co to keep my mac healthy... So, calm down there starky!

I hate the whole "Mac vs. PC" scene, but what the heck, I will share my thoughts. I fully admit that the Mac is easier to use for a casual computer user or a "newbie". They also look more stylish than most PCs. However, Apple uses that to charge people out the a$$ for substandard performance (and by this, I mean in relation to Mac vs. PC).

A Mac Intel Dual Core system with a Geforce 7600 GT, 2 gig of ram, a 250 gig HD, and a 24 inch monitor cost 2700 dollars at the Apple store.

I can buy a similar PC system from a brick and mortar store for around 2000 dollars and build one myself (yes, I realize not everyone is capable of this) for around 1600. Now, when you consider Macs get sloppy seconds from 3rd Party software companies ... when they get anything at all ... what exactly are you paying the premium for?

In my opinion, Apple markets Macs to be trendy and user friendly, because they want non-PC people who don't realize they are getting overcharged. It's also the reason so few companies program for Mac. I have been using a PC for 12 years now. Does it take longer to learn to "use" a PC? Yes. However, a PC has more software and more options - mainly due to the amazing range of software support. And, in the end, I will choose potential and software support - along with a wallet full of cash - over trendy and ease of use.

Now, if only Bill and Steve could have gotten along back in the 70's (and, yes, I realize that Gates caused a lot of the problems), we could have easy to use PCs that actually had software support ... the best of both worlds.

P.S. I will give Apple credit for being cutting edge. However, I bet within a year, someone else will have a phone with the same features, more service options, plus sell it for 100 to 200 dollars cheaper. It won't have the trendy little Apple logo and you won't be able to say "oh, look at my iPhone ..." but it will do the exact same thing. Apple ... first to innovate, but always overtaken by companies who realize that low price and practicality wins the race.

P.S.S. Okay D-Dave, hit me with what ya got ----> :monkey3

Whatever Douglas. I hear your gripe from non-mac users all the time and it's pretty ignorant. Macs cost more, sure but I've bought one computer in the last 8 years and watched family members go through 4 or 5 new "cheap" PC's. They've spent more and dealt with more headaches than I've ever had to deal with. They are always calling me about their computer problems and they are constantly frustrated. All I can say is that you get what you pay for and while Apple's products are expensive, I've gotten the most out of them.

Trendy? Perhaps. The ipod is a trend. The iphone is a trend. It's because of Apple's design innovation that spawns techno-market trends and imitators. Look how long it took Microsoft to come out with Zune to compete against the ipod. The iphone will no doubt inspire new integrated wireless imitators. As for their computers, they both are built on intel processors, its just a matter of operating system preference. Do you want to suffer with buggy Microsoft and deal with those headaches or do you want something that makes your life simple so you can focus on your work? Can't tell you how many times our PC's at work are always crashing and we have to call IT to fix them which cuts into productivity. My mac has only had one crash in 8 years. Needless to say I am happy I have a mac.

Back