Premium Format Apocalypse PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guess SS had quite a bit of overheads now , how many employees do they have exactly??

I started a thread on this months ago ..... SS is gouging the hell out of us. I have the money so I pay it because up until XM there was no one else in the game. Just look at old statues vs new ones. My Punisher Com was $250, the Thor PF was $325 and 1/4 Spiderman 1/4 was 299.99. Those might be some of the best pieces Sideshow EVER puts out. The shear size and detail of Thor is insane, but sideshow sees their popularity gaining steam and no competitors so they figure lets keep charging more and see how much we can get. I mean come on ..... for instance a character like Cat Woman ...while popular by no means should she command 399.99 and a 2000 EX edition size.

I started a thread on this months ago ..... SS is gouging the hell out of us. I have the money so I pay it because up until XM there was no one else in the game. Just look at old statues vs new ones. My Punisher Com was $250, the Thor PF was $325 and 1/4 Spiderman 1/4 was 299.99. Those might be some of the best pieces Sideshow EVER puts out. The shear size and detail of Thor is insane, but sideshow sees their popularity gaining steam and no competitors so they figure lets keep charging more and see how much we can get. I mean come on ..... for instance a character like Cat Woman ...while popular by no means should she command 399.99 and a 2000 EX edition size.

Totally agree man. It's not that SS doesn't have the artistic ability to put out a beautiful statue. They just have themselves spread to thin in the name of greed and revenue. They can't handle everything being put out right now yet the POs keep coming. Slow down. Go back to your roots and make quality a focus. Seems so easy.

Woot, finally got my apocalypse, Quite disappointed actually. Over painting, horrible lines, cracks, chips. :( And these are just the ones I saw off the bat, didn't even bother looking for flaws. Probably way more I think. :(

temporary_zps8ba03dde.jpg

temporary_zps94f299ec.jpg

temporary_zps3fcedd7a.jpg

temporary_zpsb08bf317.jpg

temporary_zpsdfb3bbea.jpg

temporary_zps8dae240e.jpg

Still looks pretty epic from afar!

temporary_zps159b33de.jpg

temporary_zps93e946c7.jpg

Last edited:
checked the gun part to be safe. took the plastic bag off and saw some clear liquid or oil on the gun. wiped it off and everything else is fine. it also fit in his arm as well. just a little weird but Mr. Green's Apoc is just as perfect as it gets.

Well number 399 made it safely home considering the shipper was banged up.
Mine has some flaws but not as extreme as others here if you even consider it a flaw.
Please give me your insight in should I even bother with a exchange or not.

1st off is the tubing....please take your time bending it to form.
It is basically plain plastic wired tubing that is painted over and will peel if not done carefully as in this photo.
20140624_120947.jpeg

Some sloppy paint lines and it looks like Apoc didn't shave his pits today.
20140624_120929.jpeg

Tiny pin holes like Rhino and Hulk Maq had.
20140624_120918.jpeg

Nut shot shows what seems to be a bad finish in the grey portion that was painted over. Only visible with a flash light.
20140624_120908.jpeg

Here are some blurry pictures for your enjoyment.....sorry.
Superman is about to get his butt kicked.
20140624_115559.jpeg
20140624_115851.jpeg
20140624_115630.jpeg

One other thing about the cables.
They can actually help you anchor the arm in better since there is no magnet but just a peg.
OR it can push out the arm from the socket if the cables are not tight enough in pressure.
Please be careful attempting to move him.
Thanks

So how many here actually got an issue free Apocalypse? In hand pics started so good and have since been nothing but statues with sloppy paint, cracks, and scuffed. It's really sickening.

It's sad to see these QC issues popping up more and more with each new post. I'm getting charged on the 25th and should get this piece about a week later. I love the sculpt and character. I'll truly be crushed if I have QC issues with mine and can't get a suitable replacement. It'll put me in a bad position because I usually have zero problems returning a piece if it suffers from poor QC. However, Apocalypse is a MUST have character for me. He's one of my all time favorite villains. It's a damn shame pics from collectors here have me worried about the QC on my piece. It sucks all the excitement out of waiting on my Apoc PF.

Shadowfax!!!! What an oustanding collection set up! :rock

- I'm sorry to hear about more QC issues from others :(

Just got mine and the statue is pretty good. Only noticed a few small blemishes. However, the head is not in the socket tight. Upon looking, there seems to be a slot in the body where a magnet is supposed to be and there is not one present. Could anyone confirm that there is a magnet on the body that helps stabilize the head?

I think I have equally as bad QC issues on my spidey com or even punisher com. It's just they're all blended into the textures and don't stand out. Apoc has such a smooth simple design, that they all stand out. That being said, for 700 I do wish they weren't painted by chinese factory workers getting paid crap. Btw I'm not being racist or anything, I'm chinese.

Your way off on your price here buddy. Cap was $650 delivered to my doorstep. It's dumbfounding to me as to why people are so quick to run out and protect SS. They are gouging you and me and everyone else in this hobby as their prices keep increasing and their quality is sub par and slipping. I haven't seen more then one or two statues of Apoc in this thread without issues and we give SS comfort in their 750 es? Get real with that crap. It doesn't matter if they make 10000 they have a responsibility to their customer to put out a product similar to the one we see when we commit in the form of an NRD. I'll pay 650 for every single statue XM puts out if they all show up as clean as Cap did. Why wouldn't you? Your paying 650 for a hunk of crap in the form of this apocolypse. I wish I could suck at my job and still have clients begging to work with me while I continued to jack up my hourly rate!
great breakdown

This was even said by the paint director at Sideshow, that areas look more dramatic when distinguished. Thanos Dio perfect example, glossy vibrant gold metallic on chest piece, other areas matted.

Apocalypse is still a great looking statue, but by definition is dull in comparison to other pieces when it comes to the paint.

apoc-batman_zps3a4e15d1.jpg

apoc-batman2_zps2f475c3b.jpg

----

My Apoc had chipped nose with air bubbles around the portrait. Im not even gonna bother looking for defects on body, that is expected. Head obviously needs replacement.

Where did you get XM's Cap for $650 from?! Is their BW going to be the same price? I thought she was 800+.

I have no issues with the color scheme. Do I like the proto colors more? Sure. However, the colors on the production pieces still look good in the pics I see and aren't a make or break issue for me. I have serious issues with sloppy lines, smudges, cracks, and pin holes that are popping up in some of the recent posts with pics. Personally, that is unacceptable and a real cause for concern. Now, I have to sweat out the next week or so until my piece arrives and hope it turns out decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
To comment on QC, I've had to deal with working with a chinese manufacturer for board game miniatures. It's hell. Our game is being held back by them by months and months. Also, you get to see samples of finished pieces, but not every piece individually before it gets put in the box. It would be so easy for bad eggs to fall in here and there.
Sideshow puts out so many pieces, and some come out flawless. Is it all from the same factory? If so, I think it's on the factory QC. I'm guessing they have a Forman, or someone like that walking down the line seeing if everything looks good. They probably miss **** all the time. The more difficult the statues, the easier it is for something to slip.
Sideshow needs to hire one of there own guys to watch over every figure before it goes in the box. We also don't know the working conditions over there , you are paying for cheaper labor.
In the end, I think it's a lot more difficult than we think, to uproot and move to a new factory. It would cost them months of work and buttload a of money. We just have to pray they train better and watch like a hawk over each worker. I want better QC too but I sympathize.

Wanted to share this link with everyone interested. When I found out that sideshow uses multiple factories in China to produce the final product that I receive, then I started looking into this. I like to be informed and knowledgeable about things before I start discussing it. I REALLY think everyone should read this article. It explains a lot on why the final product we get doesn't meet the standards of the presented piece we see in pictures. There isn't much that can be done about it and to change factories or to move production to America would cripple any company.
Here is the link to the article on Chinese Manufacturing -
https://savingusmanufacturing.com/blog/general/what-is-the-secret-behind-china’s-cheap-prices/

Just wanted to put my two cents in. Got my Apocalypse yesterday evening, but waited until today to unpack it. Except for one of the cables having some thin paint on one side, I have no major issues with mine. It looks quite good as a matter of fact. I am happy with the color. I agree that it is much more muted than the proto. I don't think that detracts from it. If I had never seen the proto, I'd be very pleased as I like my villains dark. Kinda like my heroes dark too. I am not a Sideshow groupie, but I would like to say one thing in their defense. Since I build models, I know how difficult it is to paint. The sheer size of this thing makes handling it difficult. I'm surprised sometimes there aren't more knicks and scuffs. Yes, it's a lot of money to pay for a statue, but if you were to pay a talented artist to paint this, it would be that much just for the paint job. You can pay $150 or more just to have a 1/6 headsculpt painted. I think that everybody that gets a statue that has problems is justified in being disappointed, but I don't think anybody should be expecting perfection. It would be nice though.

Back