Anyone else been priced out of this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being relatively new to the hobby I think prices for new figures are too high, especially when u compare what u get now to the older figures. I have spent a grip playing catch up but I can justify spending 300 on a figure that is sold out/limited but not on a new figure. I don't think any figure should exceed 225 retail. We basically get same quality and pay more. Compare t1 800 head sculpt to any 250 plus DX. It holds up very well and u get almost as much if not more. I paid 185 for t1 t800 and 300 for DX 12. I don't see a 125 dollar increase in quality. Dx07 is the only new figure worth the retail amount and that's only cause u get 2 full figures.

I take your point, however some very interesting points were raised over complexity, rather than just quality being a driver to cost, on Eamon's recent Hottoycast.. before listening to that podcast, I had not considered just how much assembly time was affecting the cost (awesome broadcast Eamon!.. and great guests).
Eamon's site:
https://www.eamonart.com/PODCASTS/The...ode Five.m4a

I will freely admit that I am more of a vinyl type figure collector than premium 'costumed' figures (still love the costume on my 1:4 Hellboy II figure though) but the sheer complexity of the HT Iron Man figure range, in my opinion does justify the current cost and I can appreciate that HT and Enterbay's really detailed costume figures, must also command a similar price due to assembly time in the factory .. whether or not it is possible to push those limits much beyond the HT Iron Monger pricing level, I think is open to question.

Imho, there is probably a cost v complexity 'wall' that gets hit at some point.. where the figures become so awesome, that its not actually possible to assemble that level of complexity and still make a profit, at a price point collectors will pay.

Last edited:
I'm definitely being priced out of the secondary market. If I'm lucky enough to snag a pre-order (and theres a couple of UK based stores that offer deposit options so you don't have to drop a load of money in one go) then generally I can get whatever figure I want. If I miss a pre-order then I can pretty much kiss the figure goodbye, unless I find the odd one with a decent starting price on E-bay.

American stores are generally good value (average price between $200 and $220 = £140 odd), but then you get killed on postage costs.

My top end budget per figure is £160. At the moment most figures seem to be in the £180 price bracket.

I'm definitely being priced out of the secondary market. If I'm lucky enough to snag a pre-order (and theres a couple of UK based stores that offer deposit options so you don't have to drop a load of money in one go) then generally I can get whatever figure I want. If I miss a pre-order then I can pretty much kiss the figure goodbye, unless I find the odd one with a decent starting price on E-bay.

American stores are generally good value (average price between $200 and $220 = £140 odd), but then you get killed on postage costs.

My top end budget per figure is £160. At the moment most figures seem to be in the £180 price bracket.

You should be able to pick up 'previously enjoyed but mint' figures within your budget (except maybe some limited editions).. and I can personally recommend the ebay seller, premiproduct.. he is in Denmark but his auctions tend to be realistically priced and delivery charges are reasonable.. not to mention because its EU, there are no customs charges added.
:yess:

I must admit I buy only a fraction of what I used to. I currently have NO preorders and the last figure I bought was the HT Luke Skywalker. It helps not having Marvel or Batman as a priority. :exactly:

There was a time that I was collecting only the Jedi/Sith figures from Sideshow. It was how I defined the parameters of my collection. Then they introduced their prequel Yoda which ended that particular parameter. I just could not pre-order it. :horror

Funny, since I was no longer a "completist" within my own guide lines, I realized how many figures I purchased in the past that was just to complete my collection. I then started selling off the less desired figures which included Qui-Gon Jinn. When I decided to get rid of him, I then cancelled my pre-order of Episode 1 Obi-Wan. I was only getting him to complete my "Duel of the Fates" collection. And just this past week, I sold my Darth Maul.

But I still have a BIG collection of figures. Just because I'm not actively buying, I still will keep the ones that I currently in my collection. I think I'm down to the amount of figures that I really do still enjoy very much.

Although... that 12" Sideshow Han and Luke Stormtrooper set of mine is fetching quite a sum on the aftermarket... hmmm....

Last edited:
Problem is we're also being trained to only accept the higher quality.
A company could easily step in and offer $90 figures again but would anyone here buy them? We'd all look at them and just go, "bleh! not even close to Hot Toys level!" :D

I don't know if I've so much as been priced out, but have changed my feelings on the price vs the value. I feel much better spending $150+ on something guitar related than I do a figure. To be honest, most 4" & 6" figures are good enough to satisfy me in the long run. There are still 12" figures that I love and really capture my attention but they have always been few and far between. Even Hot Toys aren't consistent enough to me to pick up an entire line, though I might want to initially.

I don't know if I've so much as been priced out, but have changed my feelings on the price vs the value. I feel much better spending $150+ on something guitar related than I do a figure. To be honest, most 4" & 6" figures are good enough to satisfy me in the long run. There are still 12" figures that I love and really capture my attention but they have always been few and far between. Even Hot Toys aren't consistent enough to me to pick up an entire line, though I might want to initially.

This 100%

I used think HT was expensive but you got what you pay for. Now the cost vs ratio balance is completely out of whack it no longer feels like I am getting my money worth anymore.

$200 for a figure with a basic costume and a few hands no longer feels like it is worth it.

I only have 3 1/6 items on PO right now and I am already cutting back. It's no longer worth it for me when I collect other things. Even low end is on fire with NECA and TMNT stuff of late. I feel I get so much more value with those right now.

Not at all, but I'm not one of these people who buy everything because it's "X", or because "X" makes it. So I only buy items I love, and they don't come out that often.

There was a time that I was collecting only the Jedi/Sith figures from Sideshow. It was how I defined the parameters of my collection. Then they introduced their prequel Yoda which ended that particular parameter. I just could not pre-order it. :horror

I used to be like you, and I looked at my collection one day, and I realised that I had a lot of stuff from the Prequel Trilogy, and I didn't even like the movies!

Sold all of what I now call shelf-filler, now only buy the items that really tickle my fancy, and are of the highest quality.

If people exercised some restraint, things would be much easier for them.

Once the Aussie dollar drops I'll be out, I it be drops to .55c us again a $300 figure becomes $550, $40 postage becomes $75. I'm getting what I can while the dollars good

As long as I still have a disposable income, I'll still buy this crap. I'm an addict.

However, I've avoided these $250+ ****ers like the plague and only get them when they become "cheap" or I break em down to what I want. These $270, $300 1/6 figures? Forget it. Unless I have rewards points, those are passes until they come down in the secondary market. It's not even about not having the money, I could blow $300 here and there, it's just the principle of the thing. The new price we've come to is ludicrous in every way.

I haven't been priced out yet, just as long as I have other options.

Hot Toys is reaching the ceiling of what I'm willing to pay for a figure. The DKR Batman was the last figure I purchased. And although I do enjoy having him on display, I ended up spending more money for a custom mouth piece because he really needed it. But it got me thinking that if I now need to spend additional funds to improve an already flawed figure, then the asking price is no longer within reason. That and the constant worry of damaging them or wondering if they will last is playing a big role in my purchases as well. So far everything I have gotten has stayed whole, including my aging Rocky and Rambo figures. No tears or cracks in the muscle bodies. But as the price goes up, I feel more apprehension about dropping the bills. Because at some point, no matter how good the figure looks, it's still just a figure. And I have to draw a line in the sand as to what I will pay.

And I'll be honest here. Other companies are beginning to make inroads. Round 2 is doing a great job with Captain Action and the Marvel license. No, they are not competing with the quality that is Hot Toys. But they are making this scale very affordable for those who like what they're doing. So it all counts. Plus I think other companies making the lower scale figures have taken notice of the head sculpts Hot Toys has done and are upping their game as well. So the execution of product is improving across the board and Hot Toys will eventually have to dial back the constant uptick in prices. I've only been collecting Hot Toys figures since the Rocky line came out and the company has raised prices nearly $100 on their figures. It's just getting to be too much. If the problem lies in manufacturing, then perhaps they need to find a different factory or do a study to find a way to lower manufacturing costs. Because, eventually, they will lose market share to lesser product simply because they've priced themselves out. Because you can only make a figure so good and after that, you have to make it obtainable to a market big enough to justify it's cost and still deliver a profit.

I'm definitely priced out. $300 for a Hot toys figure? It's way too much. :( I understand 2nd hand market, but on release??? Sorry but can't afford it.

I think I'm going to get out of 1/6th and get into the 1/4 18" figures...

....made by NECA.

And I'll be honest here. Other companies are beginning to make inroads.
True. Blitzway's Carlito Brigante is a stunning sculpt, beautifully tailored, and comes with loads of great (and very nicely detailed accessories) for around $200.

Competition. That's what we, as consumers, need.

Luckily I am just a beginner but going to be addicted on these figures....I need to stay away from great offerings & figures. You could have the best in the market such as Batman, Joker, few Ironman, Terminator, Darth Vader and Luke. Other than that you are way too deep....Batman and Joker is the best (CRAP! I need to think about the hard earned money I spent on these figures).....well, look at the bright sight, we can sell these figures even tough will not reach profit expectation as long as we take this junks carefully.....

Luckily I am just a beginner but going to be addicted on these figures....I need to stay away from great offerings & figures. You could have the best in the market such as Batman, Joker, few Ironman, Terminator, Darth Vader and Luke. Other than that you are way too deep....Batman and Joker is the best (CRAP! I need to think about the hard earned money I spent on these figures).....well, look at the bright sight, we can sell these figures even tough will not reach profit expectation as long as we take this junks carefully.....

Trick is, only collect what you truly deeply love, not just the "fly-by-night" fads, such as every popular superhero movie.

Do you really need every iteration of Iron Man? I don't.

I think people get into trouble with this kind of thinking.

Edit: If I can clarify a little more, just from my own experience... my 12" figure collection is quite small. It consists of HT Hellboy, HT Don Corleone, HT Spidey 3, HT DX12 Batman, HT Iron Man Mk 4, HT Wolverine, BW Scarface, BW Carlito, HT DX06 Jack Sparrow, DCD V For Vendetta and HT Supes. Hopefully this year adding the Joker, Robocop and ED-209. Maybe DX13 BD Terminator if they fix the problems with it.

These figures are either of characters I love, or movies I love, with the caveat - if it isn't REALLY good, I'm not interested. TBH, I waited 20 years for 12" figures to catch up with my personal demand for quality. :D If I have to for some of these, I'll wait another 20.

I love SW. Absolutely love it. I have many, many thousands of $$$ worth of great collectibles, ranging from busts to prop replicas. For years I collected nothing BUT SW related memorabilia. But I have no DX Luke. Why? Just not good enough. I also love Indy. No DX 05. Why? Wow, have you seen the sculpt? It's poo.

I think a lot of people start to feel the squeeze because it's a figure from a movie they love, and even if it looks not great, they feel obligated to get that.

Last edited:
I was collecting both dc comics and marvel movie figures but because of the amount marvel have done and still to come the price was to high for my liking.so now I collect just DC comics movie figures

I was collecting both dc comics and marvel movie figures but because of the amount marvel have done and still to come the price was to high for my liking.so now I collect just DC comics movie figures

Are DC hot toys really that much cheaper? Anything batman related is bank on after market. Try finding a joker DX figure for under $400. And the new one to pre-order is like 260 retail without taxes. Yes ironman's are expensive on after market (as well as older ones like blade and wolverine). But overall i actually think the majority of marvel is cheaper. If dc was much cheaper i would own/afford more then 1 batman figure.

OK misread u were talking about volume not individual cost. Ya **** ton of marvel figures if u trying to collect them all.

Last edited:
I just started getting into collecting a few months ago when I saw some hottoys pics online. I was very excited.

Then I saw the prices, and I was less excited.

Then I ordered one and when it came, I was excited again.

Then I received my credit card bill and was not as excited.

Back