Anybody submit their 12" inch Jedi Luke to AFA, yet?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amir said:
Not to mention AFA's record is far from perfect...mistakes...certain repeat customers seem to get higher grades...the list goes on...

CGC is the same for comics, repeat customers get higher grades. The whole concept of grading stuff is crazy as it is but for these reasons it makes it worse.

Of course the even larger problem is once other companies show up and start doing this since AFA was the frist they will be the ones who will be deemed to be the most acurate. Graded comics that are not CGC graded tend to get treated as they have lower grades its beyond dumb.

What one person sees as a Mint figure someone else may see a tiny imperfection that makes it near mint. Or in very good condition.
Memnoch21 said:
Well honestly, what enjoyment are you going to get out of looking at a SS figure encased in plastic? I wouldn't get any. These are collector friendly for a reason, you take the figure out, have one hell of a good time with them, then put them back when you so desire. I see no point in it being sealed in an acrylic case with a number and label slapped on it unless you plan to sell it in the future and even then I bet the person that does eventually buy it will find a way to free it from its acrylic prision and take him out and pose him.

Thats pretty much the other thing that makes grading seem crazy. I know some people are MIB collectors I personally dont get it since these things are sculpted and designed to be displayed but you know if you pay for the item its your choice what you do with it. But to go the extra mile and have your box encased into a plastic case so that you really have no option other then to display it as such seems even more obsured. And due to the higher value given to a graded figure or comic when someone is looking for that figure or comic after a certain time and the only ones availbe are graded the cost is so outragous its not worth getting. Overall the concept of grading is useless IMO.

Serpentor said:
CGC is the same for comics, repeat customers get higher grades. The whole concept of grading stuff is crazy as it is but for these reasons it makes it worse.

Of course the even larger problem is once other companies show up and start doing this since AFA was the frist they will be the ones who will be deemed to be the most acurate. Graded comics that are not CGC graded tend to get treated as they have lower grades its beyond dumb.

What one person sees as a Mint figure someone else may see a tiny imperfection that makes it near mint. Or in very good condition.

Thats pretty much the other thing that makes grading seem crazy. I know some people are MIB collectors I personally dont get it since these things are sculpted and designed to be displayed but you know if you pay for the item its your choice what you do with it. But to go the extra mile and have your box encased into a plastic case so that you really have no option other then to display it as such seems even more obsured. And due to the higher value given to a graded figure or comic when someone is looking for that figure or comic after a certain time and the only ones availbe are graded the cost is so outragous its not worth getting. Overall the concept of grading is useless IMO.

I personally agree , the concept of not being able to enjoy the fig is dumb. And grading in general sounds like a drag.

good post, i never knew that about repeat customers getting better grades. thanks for everyone opinions. i was wondering about grading some of my figures (loose), but now, i'm not even going to waste my time and money on it.

haven't said this, but i think this is a great forum.

jgatienza said:
good post, i never knew that about repeat customers getting better grades. thanks for everyone opinions. i was wondering about grading some of my figures (loose), but now, i'm not even going to waste my time and money on it.

haven't said this, but i think this is a great forum.

just for all you nay sayer out there here is some thing from AFA web site on grading stuff like the SS 1/9

....Un-commonly submitted or irregularly sized figures are graded under our Custom Category.

....Virtually all sealed vehicles, playsets, games, model kits, and other items eligible for AFA grading fall under one of our custom tiers.

....AFA also grades certain items which never came factory sealed, provided the items are in new and unused condition. AFA can also grade boxed items that are no longer factory sealed (i.e. the tape has been broken or come loose) as long as the boxed item has an interior sealed bubble and all the contents (paperwork) are stilled sealed in their bags.

....AFA will grade proof cards including those handcut from proof sheets.

Examples of Custom Category items:
Star Wars Deluxe figures, DC Comics, Indiana Jones horses, Spawn, new Lord of the Rings, Starting Line-up One-on-Ones and Headlines, Thundercats, most Transformers, and World's Greatest Superheroes.

coolkansaswind said:
just for all you nay sayer out there here is some thing from AFA web site on grading stuff like the SS 1/9

....Un-commonly submitted or irregularly sized figures are graded under our Custom Category.

....Virtually all sealed vehicles, playsets, games, model kits, and other items eligible for AFA grading fall under one of our custom tiers.

....AFA also grades certain items which never came factory sealed, provided the items are in new and unused condition. AFA can also grade boxed items that are no longer factory sealed (i.e. the tape has been broken or come loose) as long as the boxed item has an interior sealed bubble and all the contents (paperwork) are stilled sealed in their bags.

....AFA will grade proof cards including those handcut from proof sheets.

Examples of Custom Category items:
Star Wars Deluxe figures, DC Comics, Indiana Jones horses, Spawn, new Lord of the Rings, Starting Line-up One-on-Ones and Headlines, Thundercats, most Transformers, and World's Greatest Superheroes.

well who ever sead that AFA grades better for those who send in more i think is WRONG .... this is my first that i have sent in and !!!!!!!

i just got my grade for my SS 1/6 Luke exclusive ... U90 ..... i will have it back next week ... will post pics then ....

:google :lol

Last edited:
coolkansaswind said:
well who ever sead that AFA grades better for those who send in more i think is WRONG .... this is my first that i have sent in and !!!!!!!

i just got my grade for my SS 1/6 Luke exclusive ... U95 ..... i will have it back next week ... will post pics then ....

:google :lol

There's plenty of evidence on other boards and other AFA threads that proves this. AFA is far from a flawless and upstanding system. Just because you received a high rating means nothing, it's a box as long as the figure's paint and box are not damaged in anyway it's pretty hard to grade it low. It's when it comes to vintage figures that 'preferred grading' seems to happen...

Amir said:
There's plenty of evidence on other boards and other AFA threads that proves this. AFA is far from a flawless and upstanding system. Just because you received a high rating means nothing, it's a box as long as the figure's paint and box are not damaged in anyway it's pretty hard to grade it low. It's when it comes to vintage figures that 'preferred grading' seems to happen...

im not saying there flawless ... im just saying ... i dont think how much you send makes a diffrence ..... thats how i see it ... and did not send the 1/6 SS figure in to make $ i did it becouse it looks like no one has and i thought it would be cool to have cased and graded ... and to all thoughts people that say open them up ... i have two luke 1/6 figure that i have opened and i have most of the 1/6 figure opened and cased

coolkansaswind said:
im not saying there flawless ... im just saying ... i dont think how much you send makes a diffrence ..... thats how i see it ... and did not send the 1/6 SS figure in to make $ i did it becouse it looks like no one has and i thought it would be cool to have cased and graded ... and to all thoughts people that say open them up ... i have two luke 1/6 figure that i have opened and i have most of the 1/6 figure opened and cased

I think there is nothing wrong with getting it graded for your personal use, the moment it gets silly is when you do it and you think its worth 20 times what you paid for it and you plaster it on ebay hoping to cash in. Its silly. But everyone has their own perception of whats silly and whats not. And further more everyone has the right to do as they please with their figs. :D

Blu-Vapor00725 said:
I think there is nothing wrong with getting it graded for your personal use, the moment it gets silly is when you do it and you think its worth 20 times what you paid for it and you plaster it on ebay hoping to cash in. Its silly. But everyone has their own perception of whats silly and whats not. And further more everyone has the right to do as they please with their figs. :D

i will have any pics up tomarrow ....

Polystoner said:
Sloooow in marketing today (good weather here so sales is out meeting clients (aka, playing golf) so there is no one around to bug me), so I was packing an action figure to be graded by AFA.

Which made me wonder for non-openers, has anyone submitted Jedi Luke for grading?

Entertain me, flame me, prevent me from falling asleep!

Thanks.

ummm....what's the point? Figures are meant to be displayed outside of their cardboard coffins!!!!

Cheers,

Brad

HERE IS ARE A FEW PICS
imagepopup.php
[/IMG]

imagepopup.php

imagepopup.php

I am all for freeing figs from their box but I have to confess that I actually kinda like how you have your Luke displayed coolkansaswind. :clap

I would never pay to have a figure graded, but that does look kind of cool. Especially if you're a mint in box collector. It reminds me of Han being encased in carbonite.

Cool pics, if it has to be encapsulated, that's how it needs to be done.

But Luke's expression has never been more appropriate.

"I've been...WHAT?"

How come it got a "u" rating. I thought items only got a U rating if they were pulled out of the original case by the AFA. Did you send it unopened in the SS mailing Box????

EVILFACE said:
That takes up some shelf space to display.

Sure does. DEspite the fact that I hate the AFA and all it stands for, it does look kind of cool. Good Job. Wish I had an exclusive Luke :monkey2 .

Back