Anybody submit their 12" inch Jedi Luke to AFA, yet?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I considered doing this, but the glee of opening the figure took over instantly. When I looked at their website, the cost of doing a custom case for this figure seemed prohibitively expensive as well. Trading Cards I could understand, as you could still see both sides, but for comics and figures, ferget it!

I can understand the grading of old 70s and 80s carded figures but grading a new Sideshow figure is just ridiculous and a waste of money.

Michael Crawford said:
Don't even get me started on the ridiculousness of AFA grading. If you're interested in why it's insane to pay huge amounts for a figure in plastic, then check out my three articles on the subject from over five years ago:

https://www.mwctoys.com/FEATURE_022101.html

https://www.mwctoys.com/FEATURE_031401.html

https://www.mwctoys.com/FEATURE_031901.html

I can only shake my head at buyers of AFA graded stuff paying more for the grading than the figure is worth by itself.

Hey thanks for the links, Michael. That was fun reading. It's funny because I only got started on AF collecting after I got burnt out on collecting cameras. Camera collecting has no "independent" grader, and the condition of used cameras can swing wildly between collectors, due to the mechanical operations and the cosmetic appearance. Some like cameras that just look perfect and don't care if they work. Others like me, want a camera we could actually take pictures with sometimes. Anyway, the grading thing in my new hobby seemed like a novelty to me, so I got a figure graded just to see if my expectations & judgement meet the "profesisonals." Much to my surprise, they gave me a better grade than I expected. So I just sent them my second figure, not knowing what to expect this time. But you're right about the fees, collecting can make you broke as it is. Grading only limits the amount of things you can purchase for the collection.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of a consistent grading system (although it can never be completely consistent, even using AFA). If you have a figure that the market says is worth $500 in mint condition, and you pay someone $20 to verify that yes, it really is in mint condition, that figure is now worth $520. Not $700, not $800, not $1000. It's still the same mint figure (or comic) it was before it was graded - all you did is pay for some insurance for the buyer.

It's not the AFA that's the real problem - or the sellers who use AFA to insure that what you get is what they say you get. It's the buyers who pay ridiculous amounts because something is graded.

I still have an exclusive Luke in the brown shipping box. Should I submit to AFA for grading like that? Isn't it worth more still in the shipping box?

Darklord Dave said:
I still have an exclusive Luke in the brown shipping box. Should I submit to AFA for grading like that? Isn't it worth more still in the shipping box?

with the way SS boxed the first ones .. i would want to open it and find out what i have in condition ... but its worth what ever you think it is ... i will post pics when i get my 1/6 luke back from AFA

Darklord Dave said:

Is the one I didn't even buy worth even more than that? :duh

Gruson said:
I can understand the grading of old 70s and 80s carded figures but grading a new Sideshow figure is just ridiculous and a waste of money.

Not to mention AFA's record is far from perfect...mistakes...certain repeat customers seem to get higher grades...the list goes on...

Wow, resurrecting this old thread...I'd be interested in seeing how it all turns out. I dropped the 12" inch line just recently, but still send out some AFs for grading. I'm finding I have a much more critical eye than AFA, which is good I guess because their scores are always one notch higher than what I think it should be...

Wow I had no idea this was afecting the market, but now that you come to think about it, it is an uneccesary evil. lol. Some people will buy anything certified mint. :rolleyes: :D

coolkansaswind said:
with the way SS boxed the first ones .. i would want to open it and find out what i have in condition ... but its worth what ever you think it is ... i will post pics when i get my 1/6 luke back from AFA

Did we ever get to see this? I'm interested in the look of the Luke AFA Graded. I open all of my figures but it'd be interesting to see what the final product looked like.

Darth Robbler said:
I don't think they'll grade it because it is not sealed. They are very picky about that.

they do ... i have had a few talks with them on this matter .... and they will grade the SS 1/6 ... i have one right know being graded and when i get it back i will post pics

:emperor

How about grading Jabba's throne or some 1:1 busts? How about MR props? Or the SS lifesize droids?

Yeah, I'm testing the limits of this idiocy.

Amanaman said:
How about grading Jabba's throne or some 1:1 busts? How about MR props? Or the SS lifesize droids?

Yeah, I'm testing the limits of this idiocy.

i think its funny how much people get BINT out of shape over a little question :monkey1

Well honestly, what enjoyment are you going to get out of looking at a SS figure encased in plastic? I wouldn't get any. These are collector friendly for a reason, you take the figure out, have one hell of a good time with them, then put them back when you so desire. I see no point in it being sealed in an acrylic case with a number and label slapped on it unless you plan to sell it in the future and even then I bet the person that does eventually buy it will find a way to free it from its acrylic prision and take him out and pose him.

Back