Prop ANOVOS goes into Star Wars Costuming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's fantastic! I just received my kit, so i'll be following your build with interest.

I was pretty surprised by the "finished" helmet that came with the kit. If there's anyone out there that is only interested in the helmet, I think the eFx one is far superior in terms of build quality. This Anovos one is quite thin and flimsy, and instead of screws, they put a lot of it together with double sided foam tape and velcro. I don't think it's worth the cost if you are just looking for another lid.

I'll post some comparison pictures tomorrow.

That's fantastic! I just received my kit, so i'll be following your build with interest.

I was pretty surprised by the "finished" helmet that came with the kit. If there's anyone out there that is only interested in the helmet, I think the eFx one is far superior in terms of build quality. This Anovos one is quite thin and flimsy, and instead of screws, they put a lot of it together with double sided foam tape and velcro. I don't think it's worth the cost if you are just looking for another lid.

Looking forward to your comparison pics. Are the eFx helmets still available anywhere other than ebay?

The link I posted is not of my build. But could be helpful for people trying to assemble their Anovos armor.
As for the helmet I think it has a similar thickness to the screen used ones, which were quite flimsy.

If you have to replace the 'lenses' you can just use a strip of green acetate. That's what they used in the originals.

Here's a shot of the Anovos (left) next to the eFx (right). The eFx one is the ESB one, but is the same mold that they used for their ANH lid. As you can see, the Anovos helmet is slightly smaller than the eFx version. The rubber brow on the Anovos is a bit high for my liking, and while movable (it's not really glued on or anything), there were a lot of horizontal scratches underneath it, so moving it down would mean sanding and filling. I assume the higher brow is an artifact from the original stunt helmet used.

I am fine with the overall shape of the helmet, and while there is a gap between the helmet and earpieces, I'm okay with it.

Attachments

• IMAG4734 (2).jpg
    IMAG4734 (2).jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Here's a sideview. You can see that they used 2 screws on the upper part of the earpiece to attach it on the Anovos helmet, which I believe was the method used for the non-hero helmets. However, there is no screw at the very bottom of the earpiece (or if there is, it's covered by the rubber strip on the bottom).

Unlike eFx, Anovos does NOT have any strange gap or mold line right under the frown. It's a much smoother transition from one part to the lower part.

Attachments

• IMAG4737 (2).jpg
    IMAG4737 (2).jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 93
I'm not really sure what this thing is on the lower portion of the right eye. It's curved up a bit. I'm assuming it's an artifact from the original screen used prop?

Attachments

• IMAG4744.jpg
    IMAG4744.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 158
Here's a quick comparison of the insides of the helmet. EFx (right) has minimal padding. Anovos (left) has a head-liner that is adjustable (velcro), but can make it sit nice and tight on your head. Again, you can see the size difference between the two, with eFx having a much larger opening.

Attachments

• IMAG4739.jpg
    IMAG4739.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 161
And here's a closeup of the interior of the helmet. The green lens is held on with double sided tape. There's also some thick foam tape (the white squares) used to cover up where the screws for the ears are probably coming out. So if you want to replace the lens, it's about as easy as can be. Just pull the green one out. There are noticeable gaps between the lens and the eyeholes. I wish they would have screwed the lenses in instead of using tape.

Attachments

• IMAG4740.jpg
    IMAG4740.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 161
Anyways, I'm very pleased with the helmet that Anovos has made. I haven't gotten to opening up the rest of the armor kit yet. I got in on the first run of armor kits, so $350 for a completed helmet plus the armor is a steal! However, for those just ordering helmets, a newly completed one now is $250 from Anovos. The eFx ANH PCR helmet retailed at $189.99 and while sold out most places, routinely sells for less than $200 on ebay.

The Anovos helmet is WAY lighter than the eFx one, so if you are planning on trooping a lot, Anovos is probably the way to go. The eFx one, while still having its own faults, is a much sturdier build, but weighs probably twice as much. The Anovos Stormtrooper helmet KIT, however, is only $150, and is probably the way to go if you are willing to put in some time and energy.

Great feedback lamtsunfung!
Another thing I noticed from your pic demonstrating the opening underneath... because the eFx lid has a larger opening, it doesn't fill the gap from the helmet to your neck. The Anovos lid actually comes inward a little more and can get closer to your neck which will do a better job at covering that gap. The result, however, might be less mobility when turning your head or looking around with the Anovos.

And here's a closeup of the interior of the helmet. The green lens is held on with double sided tape. There's also some thick foam tape (the white squares) used to cover up where the screws for the ears are probably coming out. So if you want to replace the lens, it's about as easy as can be. Just pull the green one out. There are noticeable gaps between the lens and the eyeholes. I wish they would have screwed the lenses in instead of using tape.

I would have preferred they did that too but I believe they did it so you could trim it to your liking.

I'm hoping these will still be around this time next tax refund season as I was planning on getting the Vader LSB, but for 100$ more hopefully I can get the Anovos Vader and Kylo Ren helmet

After seeing these pics, I'm even more impressed with what Anovos is offering us at $250.

For $350, as it was the first Anovos TK tier, the offer was unbeatable. Even if not as accurate as I would like, most people wouldn't notice the small details. Thus you get a nice already assembled helmet and an armor kit for a great price. Even for the other tiers the price was good. And you get a licensed helmet that is still more accurate than the previous ones like Rubies, Hasbro, Altmanns or even MR CE/EFX PCR.

Back