Ani-Com HK Expo 2011 - Hot Toys Batman Begins Exclusive Figure Speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to come out on this side of the discussion, particularly being an early adoptor of the Batman/Scarecrow set, but I've learned that this collecting game is just that...a money game. To expect these companies not to capitalize on this fact is just wishful thinking. When it's all said and done, even when what's being said is "exclusive", these companies are out to make a buck. And whether this was a straight money grab or an effort to clear out back stock, these companies will do what they can to exploit the market.

Now I do understand the counter argument...particularly for the BB set. I personally reached out to a buddy of mine in Hong Kong to go to Toy Hunters and attempt to purchase that set. They told him that he needed to register online and place the order and he would be notified when/if he could buy a set. They later emailed him to say there were none available and he was too late. At that point, my only option was either eBay or Toys2. I chose the latter.

So given that information, I felt pretty confident that whoever were selling these were selling the last ones available.

So while it irks me that this might come available domestically and is already selling cheaper than what I paid for it, I'm not surprised...or pissed. It's just par for the course...

I think it's happened to all of us one time or another. It's just part of the collecting game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I didn't order through Amiami. I think I'll just hold off a little longer.

Probably a good idea. I just recently ordered one from Amiami so my face could be meeting my palm very soon :lol

I think it's happened to all of us one time or another. It's just part of the collecting game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

I think if it does get realesed it might be a little differnt to offer people who have it a new reson to possibly get another they did it with oridinal batman and also dark knight vesions and they all sold well so why not

this is gonna be a pretty big letdown if it is the Demon/Scarecrow set....

I'm guessing we'll get Scarecrow/Demon Batman as a normal SDCC reveal like the Beat it MJ revealed last week, sold through SSC for a limited quantity only. Then the actual SDCC Batman Begins exclusive will be something new alongside the new Lost clan Predator, so we should be getting two new BB releases soon. (3-4 Batman Begins figures :monkey1)

Last edited:
Monger, I agree with every word you've said.

I suspect that HT was being "honest" in that they originally expected to only release those in Asia. But, they likely over-estimated the popularity of these figures there, and ended up with an excess of surplus stock. They were no doubt starting to "clog pegs" in Asian toy stores, so HT sells part of the excess MJ stock to Sideshow and Friend stock to BBTS. . .

Part of "being honest" is sticking to your word, even when it ends up being more difficult later on down the road than you had initially anticipated. "Being honest" wouldn't count for anything if it ONLY was meant to apply to situations where it's easier to be honest.

I think there were two groups of people, those who actually believed it is Asian exclusive only, and many like me who never saw it that way in the first place.

Well those who "actually believed it is an Asian exclusive" would have a right to be pissed because they were lead to believe that by Hot Toys, and decided to take them on their word for it.

It's supposed to be exclusive for the 10th Anniversary show in Tokyo if you lived in Asia, meaning if you live in Asia and want it, you need to go through that show to order it and that's it...I always thought it was just some sort of misunderstanding and I don't remember Hot Toys ever saying it's for Asian Market only

I remember an interview with a Hot Toys rep, explaining that these would ONLY be available in Asia and that it was a "Thank you" to their Asian customers, since that was their home and initial market (i.e., their fellow neighbors, etc.).

A quick search yielded these specific quotes:

"The exclusives this time won't be available outside Japan and HK....Outside Japan, they'll only be sold at the HK Hot Toys owned store."

When it's all said and done, even when what's being said is "exclusive", these companies are out to make a buck.

You can make plenty of bucks without lying.

And whether this was a straight money grab or an effort to clear out back stock, these companies will do what they can to exploit the market.

And if you exploit the market to the point where you're being dishonest to your customers, then you're being a ____. Just because some people (like you specifically) may have expected it, doesn't make it any less true.

this is gonna be a pretty big letdown if it is the Demon/Scarecrow set....

If it IS the Demon/Scarecrow set, I'm not sure which part would piss me off more: the fact that I was lied to by Hot Toys (resulting in me paying more than I would have otherwise) or the fact that we didn't end up getting brand new Batman figures (the more Batman figures, the better!)

The P2 ex is confirmed as the Shadow Predator. This was rumoured last week, with Ra's. Come on HT. Gimme a Ducard\Ra's 2 in 1.

ya considering Shadow Pred just got officially confirmed with pics, Ra's is now pretty much definitely happening.. man I can't wait :)

I wont believe it until i see it, but the signs are looking good that it will be a Ra's.

if it is ra's i just hope its not the ken watanabe decoy ra's

Ras with a Bruce Wayne extra head would be awesome. Im glad its confirmed this is not a Scarecrow/Batman Demon re-release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back