ANH Luke

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey maul , i understand the effort of people of sideshow, but i want someone to explain to me , becouse they do not deliver what they showed !!!!!:confused:

And I understand people being bummed they didn't get what was shown. All I was trying to say is that just because it isn't 100% same as the shown prototype that went with the comment being quoted from their site, doesn't mean the final figure didn't live up to that quote.

The head's painted just like the proto, maybe even a little bit better, so they hit the mark there, everything else but the tunic seems to have turned out as planned, and the final result with the tunic may have been the best they could do. Without knowing every fact of the making of this figure, it can't be said that they didn't live up to their statement.

Straw Man Defense 101. Because Sideshow hasn't even addressed the issue of why the tunic fabric turned out remarkably inferior to the prototype it's hard to know the "facts" of how and why that happened.

All ANY of us has is supposition. And I suppose they didn't live up to their promise simply based upon what was shown at announcement/pre-order and what was delivered.

If you wanna believe that they truly "spared no expense" and left no stone unturned, then by all means do so. I no longer have such defaulted faith. It's MUCH easier for me to believe that either the factory screwed up and SSC didn't want to risk a lengthy delay and they settled with "Eh. Good enough"... or they went for a cheaper material to save costs. If either of those is the case, then they surely did not live up to their statement/promise.

I wouldn't call him "horrible" at all. It's a decent enough figure, but he is definitely disappointing, especially from what was shown and promised when we ordered him. And for $80!

I know Krayt has alread re-posted it ad naseum, but Sideshow really should probably regret posting this:

IMHO, from the tunic alone it is quite clear that they did not live up to this statement. That's why I for one am disappointed. :(

I agree, he isnt horrible and in fact is a pretty decend figure. I love the boots and the accessories. The problem for me is that I dont want to display a load of figures, I just want a select few. As a result I'm looking for a definitive Luke to put in my collection and each one so far has fell short in some way or another. The paint and the tunic are enough for me to say pass.... bring on the next one.

That is exactly the thing for me too. I am no longer a "completist". With anything. Haven't been in a while. I simply want iconic, DEFINITIVE versions of certain characters in 1:6 scale. Sideshow's ANH Luke could have been the definitive version right out of the box. It's not, but it could/should have been. Oh well. Not the end of the world, but again I can't help but feel a bit let down by how it turned out.

My main problem with the figure is, while nice, it doesn't scream high end $80 figure when I look at it. The paint, the body and the tunic all look cheaper, more toyish than Old Ben or any of the Hot Toys stuff. I've just kinda accepted that when buying from SS, I'm basically buying parts for an eventual custom figure.

yeah you can see on that what i meant. the bottom left corner of the tunic should be lower, and able to go further round his side. And that damn belt. Now whether you can get closer to that by fiddling with it a bit, I'd like to see.....
To be fair, this is a problem of Sideshow in general.

I don't know if it's the use of the Buck body or something else but they apparently disregard any kind of reference, whether its a Lucasfilm shot or even one from, well anyone in life, of the correct position of belts. In proportion to a normal person, Sideshow always seems to place the belts a good 6 inches to a full foot higher than they should be.

I guess their reference is grandpa.

My main problem with the figure is, while nice, it doesn't scream high end $80 figure when I look at it. The paint, the body and the tunic all look cheaper, more toyish than Old Ben or any of the Hot Toys stuff. I've just kinda accepted that when buying from SS, I'm basically buying parts for an eventual custom figure.

When Hot Toys starts making Star Wars figures I'll give a darn about comparing SS to them. You want to compare SS to Medicom as far as each companies SW figures thats cool.

Well, Entropy's comments are that it feels better when the figure you get feels worth the money you spent on it and the comparison is the feeling from Luke versus other figures that make you feel you got what you paid for, which for many is just about every Hot Toys figure, and Old Ben stands as an example of getting every penny worth in a figure for what you paid.

I'm in that camp. For me, the mark of a bad figure is when you feel you're not getting what you paid for. Hot Toys figures are very expensive, but fortunately every one of them has left me feeling ok with the expense. Some Sideshow and Medicom figures have left me a little sour, but no one has left me thinking I wasted my money yet.

Well, Entropy's comments are that it feels better when the figure you get feels worth the money you spent on it and the comparison is the feeling from Luke versus other figures that make you feel you got what you paid for, which for many is just about every Hot Toys figure, and Old Ben stands as an example of getting every penny worth in a figure for what you paid.

I'm in that camp. For me, the mark of a bad figure is when you feel you're not getting what you paid for. Hot Toys figures are very expensive, but fortunately every one of them has left me feeling ok with the expense. Some Sideshow and Medicom figures have left me a little sour, but no one has left me thinking I wasted my money yet.

It does. Though from those that have him it seems they feel he's worth it. I can't say for myself as I don't get him till midweek. Though with pretty much all my SS figures I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth. Not all of them mind you but most of them. I've been pretty happy with my Medicom figures as well with really only Old Snake not feeling like it was worth the money. As I've said my HT figures from the POTC line are mixed as I feel two of them are worth it while two left me feeling a little sour.

To be fair, this is a problem of Sideshow in general.

I don't know if it's the use of the Buck body or something else but they apparently disregard any kind of reference, whether its a Lucasfilm shot or even one from, well anyone in life, of the correct position of belts. In proportion to a normal person, Sideshow always seems to place the belts a good 6 inches to a full foot higher than they should be.

I guess their reference is grandpa.

It's the Buck. One of many reasons why it blows chunks and Sideshow should be blasted every time they announce another new figure on it.

Re: Official SS 1:6 ANH Luke Skywalker Photo Thread

I like the fully kitted out shot of him, looks nice with poncho, hat and rifle.

It is hard to see the likeness in these photos, but in the raw sculpt (which I don't think had any changes) the likeness is spot on. So I'm hoping in hand it will be better.

So far from pictures the tunic looks very good, not as nice as the original... but I guess by this point I've come to expect there to be differences. Also, I really hadn't paid that close of attention and wouldn't have noticed the difference unless it was pointed out.

So far from pictures the tunic looks very good, not as nice as the original... but I guess by this point I've come to expect there to be differences. Also, I really hadn't paid that close of attention and wouldn't have noticed the difference unless it was pointed out.

I feel the same way. I'm anxious to have this figure in hand so I can make a proper assessment but from what I've seen I really like the look of him...

I just want this figure for my work haha. If we had Luke but no Han, I could do some pieces in mind already and just work Han out of them, but Luke's pivotal so I can't move forward without him.

It is hard to see the likeness in these photos, but in the raw sculpt (which I don't think had any changes) the likeness is spot on. So I'm hoping in hand it will be better.

I thought the same way about Han too, even in some of the early nice photos, I still only saw Harrison in there because I knew Trev's work, it wasn't til I had him in my own hands and could look at him my own ways that I saw it in there, and I'm sure same will go for Luke.

One thing I find about capturing likeness with photos of these figures is that sometimes, it's not enough to just get some fair lighting or shading on the sculpt, but you have to almost frame and capture the portrait in the ways we've all had burnt into our memories over all the years of seeing publicity stills and the movies. No matter how good a likeness in the sculpt, it never quite sits right until you see it in the same way you've seen it all these years. It is a Han or a Luke sculpt, not just Harrison or Mark Hammil so capturing what defines Han or Luke is just as important as the anatomy of the actor.

I think if you were to repaint the eyes, and make them more open, it would look better.

2anhluke2ie6.jpg

Thanks to MF...

2anhluke2ie6.jpg

Thanks to MF...

And just so folks know looking at that, when I PSed the eyes, I didn't trim away any of the sculpt around the eyes. If you look at the high res shots of the proto and presumably the production figure as well, the fleshtone creeps a bit ontoe the eyes themselves and gives a more squinted look, which is OK to replicated scenes from Tatooine, but as far as seeing likeness there it hurts a bit because once they were on the Falcon, he wasn't squinty anymore. It's a realy testament to the quality of Trev's sculpting that a simple change in paint style can make the eyes either open or squinted, the sculpting of them doesn't limit the looks the figure can have.

Back