ANH Luke

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So then really the thing is Sideshow sets up unrealistic expectations in their ability to deliver what the prototype shows. Maybe they need to change their business model a little?

There have been a few instances when SSC shows us a prototype and people moan about it, that something changes and they do it better for the production.

ROTS Obi-Wan, the robe change that delayed him was well worth in my mind, it's perfect what they ended up with compared to the proto, same with Anakin's robe from ROTS, though the color was so wrong I don't know how they could ever let it pass in production in that instance.

I think it's a flaw in their methods that holds them back from being regarded in the same ways as Hot Toys. They have great sculptors at SSC, their tailoring is improving, they're developing new base bodies. If Sideshow can improve the overall quality of production painting to have more life to it than some pieces end up with, and can establish stronger consistency from proto to production with cloth materials, they'd be phenominal. I think people forget when comparing Sideshow to Medicom and Hot Toys that the latter 2 have their primary facilities and production houses in the same region and have advantages in that. Sideshow's primary folks work in the U.S. with designated folks overseas running that. If the move prototype clothing fabrication to an overseas facility, that'll significantly lessen the "it's not like the prototype" issues.

That is something people forget. You have asian based toy companies with it all right there. It has to make it easier. Now, how much easier? I have no idea on that.

One thing: If HT had showed us the Luke proto with the right tunic fabric, you can bet your life that the production tunic would be the precise same fabric. :lecture

I don't know about that. I've got two POTC figures that the skin tone is much darker than their Protos. Sadly HT isn't the next thing to Jesus Christ that many want everyone to believe. Also for the price they charge which is still more than SS on the average they better get their stuff right.

So then really the thing is Sideshow sets up unrealistic expectations in their ability to deliver what the prototype shows. Maybe they need to change their business model a little?

Exactly. Perhaps in the early days of their 1/6 figurs, clothing matching and all was much simpler, but now they're into more dynamic properties and it could be a sign to change things up a little.

Granted, we still buy, own and keep our figures that we get in the end, so there is a bit of "why change our process" left on the table, it'd take huge cancellation numbers to really make the impression that proto to production changes is a hurting factor, but I think the overall presence of SSC in the 1/6 world would be improved with a change. The reality seems to be that a procedural issue results in the departures from proto to production, but that's not what it looks like in the end to most collectors, they just see a failure to deliver what was initially shown so it gives them a somewhat false bad reputation, but if they could deliver what they show everytime, then they'd get a Hot Tors reputation.

I don't know why SS can't find the material that they'll actually be using THEN make the proto out of that. The whole "they're not based in Asia" thing just doesn't justify that for me.

I agree with pix. It's the way SS does things that needs to change.

I don't think its unrealistic. I mean, I really think there is the right material sitting out there somewhere. For me, it seems like a little less than 100% effort on that one. Maybe they stopped searching one door short at the fabric district? I also think that the difference between the right material and the wrong material is not more than a few cents per figure. On a primo character like ANH Luke I expect them to make it right, even if it means they clear a little less than expected. And again, this is one of the most expensive SW figures thus far, some of that extra I was counting towards nailing the right materials.

Some of the higher price I assumed also goes toward making the cloth wrapped boots. If SSC all of a sudden made them 100% rubber would we be finding reasons to justify it?

Last edited:
Who knows? Perhaps the fabric was unavailable in the quantities needed at the time, maybe the fabric wasn't that great on the actual figure itself?

That is why there is Hot Toys and then everyone else.

I would still like official work that they and other companies show prototypes.

If I was a company with the nit picky ^^^^^y ass customers they have seem to have in this hobby I would show pre-production samples. That way its pretty much what will be sold not some one off product.

I would still like official work that they and other companies show prototypes.

If I was a company with the nit picky ^^^^^y ass customers they have seem to have in this hobby I would show pre-production samples. That way its pretty much what will be sold not some one off product.

Exactly. Keep the prototypes in the vault. When its time for PPO show us the pre-prod sample.

I would show pre-production samples. That way its pretty much what will be sold not some one off product.

Exactly. Keep the prototypes in the vault. When its time for PPO show us the pre-prod sample.

Trouble is, it seems most times, SSC bases regular edition production numbers on demand, so it would take a major policy change of setting editions from the start, not sure they want to go that route.

Trouble is, it seems most times, SSC bases regular edition production numbers on demand, so it would take a major policy change of setting editions from the start, not sure they want to go that route.

I agree but it just seems to be the best option since many people seem to have a hard to understanding how things sometime HAVE to change from prototype to production, for either production costs (harder to use materials or more expensive) or even just plain supplies are not available.

I agree but it just seems to be the best option since many people seem to have a hard to understanding how things sometime HAVE to change from prototype to production, for either production costs (harder to use materials or more expensive) or even just plain supplies are not available.

Yup, been saying this for a long time but it simply seems to get lost on many people. Mostly cause those people just want to ^^^^^ because they can or they just flat out don't get it.

I think that Sideshow should just show pics of the Pre-production Vader when the time comes, or we will need a whole new Message Board dedicated to just Vader!:rotfl

I honestly feel like the material on the proto is worth more than the material on the production. I justified the $70 on what they showed me. Now its significantly different. Doesn't seem like a hard concept to me. If I was offered a candy apple red corvette and instead got a flat red corvette, I'd feel like they did the bait and switch.

Maybe I just feel more strongly because I really focus on the clothing when most focus on other stuff. Face paint rarely gets me worked up.

Back