Angel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very unfamiliar with how Sideshow goes about organising a headsculpt, but from my own experience within the effects industry I hope/imagine, that they must gather as much photographic reference of their chosen subject before undertaking the job.

So, what went wrong here then.

As I said on a different fan board I think the reason why they always get Spike right, is that the original Sideshow doll sculpt was a worked over scan, and that every subsequent likenesses have come form the same set of info.

If you look at the PF version it just looks like the 12" Spike doll scaled up. I believe that the same has been done with the Angel PF, but taken from his later AtS scans/shots and used for the original 12" Sideshow figure release.

They have tried to utilize the same info and just blow it up and alter it a tad, and of course it just doesn't fit in with the body/clothes that they've chosen for him.

This figure needs a much, much more youthful appearance or it will just look plain weird.

Lets hope the next set of images released are more encouraging. :eek:

Why do they never manage to capture Buffy!Angel, or early season one Angel on his own show?! He always looks older than what he should.

I would have ordered this piece if the sculpt resembled the way he appeared on Buffy. The thinner face, the longer spikes of hair. So sexy. They've just never been able to capture that.

Josette said:
Why do they never manage to capture Buffy!Angel, or early season one Angel on his own show?! He always looks older than what he should.

I would have ordered this piece if the sculpt resembled the way he appeared on Buffy. The thinner face, the longer spikes of hair. So sexy. They've just never been able to capture that.

I agree 100%
The best sideshow Angel we have so far is the City, Of Angel. The smirk, the face is awesome, but the hair and eyes are what lets it down. The paintjob isnt great on the 12" version, but it would look awesome on the PF. They need to get the eyes like they are on the photo shown below.

Heres what i mean, if they used this head sculpt and gave it paler skin and ephasised his big, brown eyes, then id buy it instantly. I consider this head sculpt, almost perfect. With a few tweaks here and there it could work well.

2025_press03-001.jpg

What does everyone think? I think this head sculpt is pretty accurate to David, HELL, i could even settle with this hair sculpt, as long as the paintjob is applied well, he could make an awesome Premium Format Figure

Wayne

It's abetter sculpt I grant you, but still not really accurate enough. The cheek bones need accentuating a wee bit more if they are to do a really youthful looking version of him.

I mean here's two head shots from around season 1, the last being another from that promo group.

b2angelpromo23ec0.jpg

angel06do3.jpg

willowswarlok said:
I agree 100%
The best sideshow Angel we have so far is the City, Of Angel. The smirk, the face is awesome, but the hair and eyes are what lets it down. The paintjob isnt great on the 12" version, but it would look awesome on the PF. They need to get the eyes like they are on the photo shown below.

Heres what i mean, if they used this head sculpt and gave it paler skin and ephasised his big, brown eyes, then id buy it instantly. I consider this head sculpt, almost perfect. With a few tweaks here and there it could work well.

2025_press03-001.jpg

What does everyone think? I think this head sculpt is pretty accurate to David, HELL, i could even settle with this hair sculpt, as long as the paintjob is applied well, he could make an awesome Premium Format Figure

Wayne

Now see I think he looks older in the face on that then the new PF

sueworld said:

If only the PF looks identical to this, I would sell one of my vital organs to get it!

I think any form of constrctive critiscm at this point or up until the production day is a good thing. It may seem like people are moaning and whining, but why not?? We want a perfect Angel so we should express that view. I hope Sideshow are listening and recomission a new head sculpt.

The head sculpt IMO should be hand sculpted without scans, unless they can manipulate the scan well enough to make Angel younger. I always thought that Angel looked his sexiest during Buffy Season 2 to Angel Season 2, it would be perfect if we got a Buffy Season 3 look Angel (RE: the image sueworls posted above). The Buffy headsculpt was amazingly good, and Spike is beyond perfection, this figure needs to be given the same justice or the Buffy PF line will die a tragic death :monkey2

My fingers are crossed for better images when it is up for pre-order. Still the final product may be better, I personally think that the released Spike is a lot better than the one pictured on the site.

I love the 12" City Of figure sculpt. It's spot on to me so i agree with Wayne about that. I would however like to have him look like he did in the blue promo pic above

Going by just the Promo Shot i have to Say unless they have an Alternate Vamire head this will be a Pass for me..

Kinda sad though i like the Overall look and think it would go really well with my Spike and Buffy..

Just wish they would scrap that head sculpt and so with something else..

I personally would prefer the older and fuller, Cordelia's 'cuddly', Angel from the Angel series rather than the awkward skinny boy from the first season of Buffy. I also prefer the long-flowing unique Victorian style coat to a plain black leather jacket. The sword and the stance are a definite plus for me.

I agree the face needs a little work, although I reckon that the wrinkles may not look so bad under better lighting - I am reserving final judgment for the preorder photos.

No wrinkles, get rid of the cross-eyes and add Angel's trademark smirk (and add his 'game face' as the exclusive!) and I will be one happy little vampire!!

I think this PF has a lot of potential. As long as they keep everything in check with the hair, eyes, and jacket i'm definitely going to get one. And if i get Angel im gonna get Spike too. i have no interest in buffy though. for some reason i only want the bad/good guys.

hairlesswookiee said:
I think this PF has a lot of potential. As long as they keep everything in check with the hair, eyes, and jacket i'm definitely going to get one. And if i get Angel im gonna get Spike too. i have no interest in buffy though. for some reason i only want the bad/good guys.

I must say that is very odd that you don't want the main character

Well, I was only going to get him if he came with a 1/4th Smile Time Angel as the exclusive anyway so the fact that the sculpt isn't what I was looking for makes me feel better in passing on this one. (the sculpt does remind me of this pic, that points out how Angel's PF MUST be noticably taller than Spike's

spike_angel-768461.jpg

Spike's PF is just a shade taller than Buffy's. Accounting for Buffy's high heels this is acceptable as SMG is about 5'3" and Marsters about 5'7" or 5'8". However, David is 6' tall or a shade taller and towered over Buffy

de52_angel-buffy-01.jpg

so, to make Angel the same height as Spike would be ludicrous.

I don't know where Karma got that shot, but it's obviously not what they chose for the preview.

Karma, where'd the pic come from?

Assuming that the figure looks like the one pictured and that Sideshow isn't going to make some major changes, about the only thing that could save this figure in my mind is a vampire change-o-head with a mischievous grin.

Darklord Dave said:
I don't know where Karma got that shot, but it's obviously not what they chose for the preview.

Karma, where'd the pic come from?

OMG, Does this mean that this could be a leaked photo of an earlier attempt or even a test for one of the previously released 12" figures?

Lets hope this image isnt of the PF Angel!

Is there anychance that someone from Sideshow could verify the image?
Wayne

willowswarlok said:
OMG, Does this mean that this could be a leaked photo of an earlier attempt or even a test for one of the previously released 12" figures?

Lets hope this image isnt of the PF Angel!

Is there anychance that someone from Sideshow could verify the image?
Wayne

I'm certain its the PF. The costume/pose exactly matches the preview pic, and there wouldn't be any other Angel collectibles coming out.

BDboystoys said:
I'm certain its the PF. The costume/pose exactly matches the preview pic, and there wouldn't be any other Angel collectibles coming out.

Well, lets hope i's an earlier attempt of the head sculpt? Otherwise, wouldn't they have used this as the preview?

But I must admit, the more I look at it, the less I hate it. I think it's the initial shock of seeing it after seeing the fantastic photos of Spike. BUT I think, I will preorder this. Im just preying that they see sense and change his outfit before it's too late. The pose is awesome, so I dont want to see it wasted.

But it's David Boreanaz, so how can I resist?

BillyBudd said:
Assuming that the figure looks like the one pictured and that Sideshow isn't going to make some major changes, about the only thing that could save this figure in my mind is a vampire change-o-head with a mischievous grin.

Yes, I agree on this too! BUT, all I ask is that Sideshow does their research into his vampface. Sure it does change alot throughout Buffy/ Angel but the Vampire Angel 12" figure doesn't do Angel justice either. I think they need to look at several images to get it right. Afterall, if this is possible, Angel sometimes looks hotter with his Vampface!

Wayne

Last edited:
Well it nearly killed me financially to buy PF Spike, so for me to get Angel too he'd have to look a damn sight better then what I've seen so far...IF that is the real head/costume for him.

This is not some 'cheap' 12" job, it's a bloody expensive statue, that should be worth the kind of price they are asking for it.

If they don't correct it, well then I can't see many folk who aren't 'hard core' fans being daft enough to fork out the cash for him.

sueworld said:
Well it nearly killed me financially to buy PF Spike, so for me to get Angel too he'd have to look a damn sight better then what I've seen so far...IF that is the real head/costume for him.

This is not some 'cheap' 12" job, it's a bloody expensive statue, that should be worth the kind of price they are asking for it.

If they don't correct it, well then I can't see many folk who aren't 'hard core' fans being daft enough to fork out the cash for him.

I understand that completely Sue, really I do!

The only reason that I have been able to buy Spike is because of my Custom Gift Buffy Statue that I'm selling, it's covering the price of this statue.

I think, with this type of statue and the price of it, they shouldn't really on data used for 12" figures, they should hire someone to completely sculpt a new head for them, solely for this line.

I mean, I can understand the cost of hiring a sculptor, BUT they will get more than their money back from sales.

Lets just hope they listen to their fans and customers and take on board our suggestions.

But I also have to agree with what other people are saying. It does seem that Buffy/ Angel products seem to be the victims of neglect. Look at Star Wars or other PF Statues, they are almost perfect. So why should Buffy/ Angel suffer?

Wayne

Back