AndyHel's paint and custom work

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyHel

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I posted the same thing in the thread where I was looking for painting tutorials but I figured if I'm going to be posting progress and other work this should have a new thread. A mod can feel free to delete the other thread.

I've decided that it's going to be too expensive to delve into this hobby and pay other people to paint every sculpt I would like so I'm going to try my hand at a little painting myself. So here it is, my very first attempt at painting a 1/6 head. Took about 2 hours, could have been a little more patient but this is just beginning practice. It was a bit tough as these old Palisades Reservoir Dogs figures had pinheads so it was pretty tiny for a beginner. I have a couple other practice heads to do before I paint a cast of Jean Reno I purchased for a Leon bash. All constructive critique welcome!

Thanks! I think I've got the groundwork I just need to work on my patience and steady hand. I'm going to have to go through some boxes and find some more heads to practice on.

I see you are in Wisconsin. If you're anywhere near Waukesha, check out Adventure Games near the Waukesha library. You'll find TONS of practice heads and custom fodder there.

Good start, man! That first step is the hardest. Every now and again, to refuel myself... I break out my first repaint and push harder the next time. (It was a really horribly repainted Hasbro Luke...TERRIBLE work on my part)

You'll find your way, it takes a lot of time... LOTS of trial and error. Just keep at it, try new things. Ask for help from any of us... And you'll be making jaws drop in no time. :rock

Kabuki,
Not very close at all...I'm in north-western WI but I'll keep that in mind in case I make my way down there.

DA,
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I really appreciate it! I'm going to practice on another Reservoir Dogs figure and then I will be tackling an old Hasbro figure myself...Tarkin! Though the sculpt is soft and a bit too large to be in scale I actually hope to do a better job on Tarkin as I may try to make a decent figure out of him. I'll be sure to post progress.

Guess who's next...

photo5kc3.jpg

Good start, man! That first step is the hardest. Every now and again, to refuel myself... I break out my first repaint and push harder the next time. (It was a really horribly repainted Hasbro Luke...TERRIBLE work on my part)

You'll find your way, it takes a lot of time... LOTS of trial and error. Just keep at it, try new things. Ask for help from any of us... And you'll be making jaws drop in no time. :rock

Of course having god given talent helps too. :rotfl

I can't get a good picture of this thing to save my life...I think I've improved in some ways as far as control goes but I think the layering didn't work so well for me (though I blended things smoother this time).

Been working on a bash of Butch from Pulp Fiction. The only piece I'm waiting on yet is the head. The shirt was just a test and I'm going to be redoing it. I'm not happy with the color and it bled way too much. Other than that I just have to mess with the shoes a bit and bloody the sword. Whatcha guys think?

butchnew1.jpg

butchnew2.jpg

cant wait to see this, i think its the 1st butch id see! inot seen bruce done in pulp fiction form! i wana do sam jackson and john trav aswel, if your bruce looks cool i might look at him 2 ahah.

dnt forget his scars and cuts etc when u do his head

Been working on a bash of Butch from Pulp Fiction. The only piece I'm waiting on yet is the head. The shirt was just a test and I'm going to be redoing it. I'm not happy with the color and it bled way too much. Other than that I just have to mess with the shoes a bit and bloody the sword. Whatcha guys think?

butchnew1.jpg

butchnew2.jpg

That looks really great!! The jeans are esp good, really nice.

What head are you planning to use?

Teabelly,
I wanted to do a Die Hard bash but decided I should maybe do a Willis that nobody really focuses on. I love his character in Pulp Fiction and it's an easy enough project. As long as I get the head attached okay and paint a better shirt it should be solid!

Snake,
This head:

https://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-Bruce-Will...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

yeah it will be awsome!! cant wait to see it. have useen this bruce cast?? as far as im aware he is selling it as a recast so not sure who was the original caster. would love to know tho.

could look awsome witha good paint job

https://cgi.ebay.com/12-1-6-Custom-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I have not used that one, and it does appear to be a recast. It does look like a solid sculpt and if I don't like the one I ordered I will most likely order one of those.

I have not used that one, and it does appear to be a recast. It does look like a solid sculpt and if I don't like the one I ordered I will most likely order one of those.

yeah get sum pics with ur 1st bruce head, i wana see it.

yeah that heads a good sculpt, recast tho, i wana knw who did the original sculpt. but its a good likeness ithink. hes got a young bruce with hair, so both would be good for bruce die hard 1/2/3 and dh 4

I'll take pictures as soon as the head gets here. Might take a while, it's coming from Store Rooms.

I got my Willis head in today. It's an odd thin hard plastic. The neck joint popped right out and it's hollow with very thin walls. The paint looks like it was done with a spray paint almost, weird stuff.

I just stuck the hollow Willis head over the neck of the Soldier Story body, the paint is very thick and glossy, going to try stripping it later. Not sure how I want to go about attaching it yet.

butchhead1.jpg

butchhead2.jpg

I use Pine Sol to strip the paint. The aroma gets a little overwhelming but works beautifully. Nice subject matter

Back