Anakin conversion to TrueType body?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i never did get around to taking those comparison photos. i'll do my best to take them this week. I've just gone back to classes, so i've been a bit busy. and i know, I've got a bit of a hoth display going there :lol
The figures themselves don't get to get to dusty, I handle them too much for that. the shelves, on the other hand......

Just remember, dust can ruin your collectibles. Especially if you have a rubberized piece like ED-209 or a HT Batman.

I've been thinking about switching Anakin over to a Truetype and was wondering what people thought of the following ways to do his gloved arm:

1. Make a glove out of fabric or leather that fits the TT. Find the little metal pieces to make straps, etc.
2. Sculpt the glove around a TT arm and just heat the whole TT in the oven until it's solid. Could the TT plastic take it?
3. Do what was mentioned earlier on here by Lerath: carve out the inside of the SS glove, and then perhaps try to make an adapter inside the glove for a TT peg.
4. To get wrist articulation: buy a gloved hand from one of HT's military figures, paint it black, and take Anakin's glove from the SS figure and cut it off at the wrist. Then just slide that part on the wrist before putting the HT gloved hand on.
5. Combination of 1 and 4: get a HT military gloved hand, paint it black. Make the wrist portion and the rest of the glove going up the arm out of fabric. Make the opening at the wrist very small so that it can be held in place by the peg of the gloved hand and make the other end of the glove have an elastic band so that it doesn't move...to make that end even tighter, tuck the sleeve from his robe into it. Or, even sew the end of the glove to the actual Jedi outfit so that it is sewn on one end and held in place on the other end by the wrist peg.

Thoughts?
And if I go the sewing route, any suggestion for materials, especially the little straps around his arm?

I've been thinking about switching Anakin over to a Truetype and was wondering what people thought of the following ways to do his gloved arm:

1. Make a glove out of fabric or leather that fits the TT. Find the little metal pieces to make straps, etc.
2. Sculpt the glove around a TT arm and just heat the whole TT in the oven until it's solid. Could the TT plastic take it?
3. Do what was mentioned earlier on here by Lerath: carve out the inside of the SS glove, and then perhaps try to make an adapter inside the glove for a TT peg.
4. To get wrist articulation: buy a gloved hand from one of HT's military figures, paint it black, and take Anakin's glove from the SS figure and cut it off at the wrist. Then just slide that part on the wrist before putting the HT gloved hand on.
5. Combination of 1 and 4: get a HT military gloved hand, paint it black. Make the wrist portion and the rest of the glove going up the arm out of fabric. Make the opening at the wrist very small so that it can be held in place by the peg of the gloved hand and make the other end of the glove have an elastic band so that it doesn't move...to make that end even tighter, tuck the sleeve from his robe into it. Or, even sew the end of the glove to the actual Jedi outfit so that it is sewn on one end and held in place on the other end by the wrist peg.

Thoughts?
And if I go the sewing route, any suggestion for materials, especially the little straps around his arm?

Good questions broccoli,
I would go with option 2 or 3. The TT body should be ok to hold the temperature but what I would recomment to do is bake the piece at a low heat and check it every 5 minutes.

Also, I believe the TT body is shorter then the buck. There is alot of yes it is and no it isnt on the board but no one has step forward and post some comparison pics. I would be interested in seeing the differences my self.

The TT is shorter than SST's Anakin for sure.
I have a WIP Gladiator on a TT body, and standing next to Anakin the height difference is easily visible.

Weird. My Rebel Fleet Trooper is the same height as my AOTC Obiwan (which is on a TT).

I'm not too worried about the height differential...I can just take the foot off the TT and put some Blue-Tac or newspaper in the boot. I kind of doubt there would be a ton of ankle articulation anyways. Or, I could sculpt some kind of extender that can fit into the ankle foot peg on one end and the foot peg on the other end. That wouldn't be too hard.

Man.. for that robotic arm to fit on a TT?

Honestly I would take the ham-fisted approach. I would approximate on the TT body were the top of the arm would be and cut. Then I would glue the SS robot arm on. There would be some loss of articulation though. Frankly when it comes to this kid of thing you should ask thenammagazine. He is usually full of really good ideas.

A quick suggestion. How about cutting part of the Sideshow arm away above where the arms connect? Cut this same part away from the TT and glue the Sideshow to the TT. This way you retain the connection for both robotic and glove arms and the join will not be seen .

Those are good points. I'm wondering if there is a way to pick up some wrist articulation without doing a ton of cutting. The easiest way seems to me to try stitch a 1/6 replica of the glove and put it over the TT hand...that would take some time though...

Those are good points. I'm wondering if there is a way to pick up some wrist articulation without doing a ton of cutting. The easiest way seems to me to try stitch a 1/6 replica of the glove and put it over the TT hand...that would take some time though...

not to mention some major sewing skills. And finding those metal clips.

Well this is how I converted mine. First I casted the glove hand and separated it at the wrist. I then dremeled out the wrist to fit the hot toys wrist peg. It looks a little odd when you bend the wrist, but you can get a lot more dramatic poses.

DSC07159.jpg

DSC07160.jpg

DSC07166.jpg

DSC07180.jpg

That looks great. You should give him a 'sock' or something for his arm on the inside to cover the gap. Also maybe paint the glove black, it seems green:lol

Very nice work my friend ! I've been working on a similar way of articulating the glove on mine. What I 'm trying to do is the same as yourself, I thought about adding a flexible mid section between the wrist of the glove and the main body part of the glove and then painting the whole thing at once.
I haven't done anything as cool as adding a light up saber though ! Very nice ! May I ask who painted your head for you ? I have an Anakin here I've been working on that I need to have someone paint up as my painting skills leave a lot to be desired :lol

fantastic work on the glove there mate :) Im considering doing the same thing to mine. that or i may wait for the medicom one and just get one to canabalize.

The paint work on your Anakin is superb mate!
I'd love to do that customizing on the hand as well, will give it some thought.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Paulcarson, the head was painted by the Figuremaster. I look forward seeing your version of it.
I am also thinking about just re sculpting the wrist in a different angle, then casting it up. At least that version wont have that unslightly gap.

Back