Am I the only one who thought ALIENS kinda sucked?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except Nightmare on Elm Street doesn't hold a candle to ALIEN. I would say ALIEN has a more interesting setting, concepts, characters and creature than Nightmare does, since Nightmare is essentially a teenage slash fest, much like Friday the 13th.

That and I sure as hell wouldn't compare ALIEN to O'Donnel.:monkey4

I would say you're being a bit unfair to Nightmare. The original ANOES is one of the great modern horror flicks, and pretty original for it's time. Like ALIEN, it is a great standalone film, and in my opinion works best if one ignores the sequels. It has a good plot, a great villain (Robert Englund was creepy before they turned Freddy into a clown,) and an imaginative story. When you think about it, the premise is much more creative than that of ALIEN's. ALIEN just kind of took the plot of a monster or in this case, an alien, who kills off a group of unsuspecting people in a dark secluded area, and set it in space.
However, I love both films equally.

I would say you're being a bit unfair to Nightmare. The original ANOES is one of the great modern horror flicks, and pretty original for it's time. Like ALIEN, it is a great standalone film, and in my opinion works best if one ignores the sequels. It has a good plot, a great villain (Robert Englund was creepy before they turned Freddy into a clown,) and an imaginative story. When you think about it, the premise is much more creative than that of ALIEN's. ALIEN just kind of took the plot of a monster or in this case, an alien, who kills off a group of unsuspecting people in a dark secluded area, and set it in space.
However, I love both films equally.

Eh, it's alright. I still consider it another teenager slasher movie compared to ALIEN, though.

I'm going to have to agree with Rob...

The fact is, as great as ALIENS was, as a movie...we have Cameron to thank for turning them into nothing more than big bugs. Fodder for whatever comes along and "pokes a stick at the nest".

This is why we have the type of Alien we have in movies today. Everyone wants to smack Anderson around for his "raptor" Aliens, but it was Cameron that started the ball rolling.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the movie. But that bit of film really is the turning point for these creatures.

oh yeah, a movie that's was a blockbuster, is liked by viewers and critics alike, stands toe to toe with it's predacesor, and made the francis a brand that can be marketed years after it's release must have sucked......right?

not so much. this is a case of stating presonl preferance as fact, I take it from your opening post that you don't like movies that have a slow pace, you seem to feel that Alien is a little long in the beging as well, so it may be slow building movies arn't your thing.

at the end of the day it's your opinion, and you have a right to it.

the problom I have is the way you put your opinion, thats all.

Except Nightmare on Elm Street doesn't hold a candle to ALIEN. I would say ALIEN has a more interesting setting, concepts, characters and creature than Nightmare does, since Nightmare is essentially a teenage slash fest, much like Friday the 13th.

That and I sure as hell wouldn't compare ALIEN to O'Donnel.:monkey4

Rob you got me all wrong, I can't believe that I have to explain this but okay:

Highlander to ALIENS is like Rosie O'Donnel to Scarlet Johanssen

ALIEN to ALIENs is like A Nightmare on Elm Street to Predator

Do you understand now?

Somewhat. Though I mostly consider both ALIEN and Predator equal, but I see what you're getting at.

Somewhat. Though I mostly consider both ALIEN and Predator equal, but I see what you're getting at.

I only brought up ALIEN and Nightmare because they are both horror movies. I saw the ALIEN special edition on IMAX back in 2003 and it terrified me. I am ashamed to say that it was only then that I truely appreciated Ridley Scott's masterpiece.

Hey don't bring Highlander into this, its a kickass movie in its own right... yet I hope no one would defend its sequels. Leave your own dislike of the movies to take a beating w/o bringing in other peoples enjoyable cinema :lol

And really Highlander being equated with Rosie... you could at least give us Courtney Love :huh

Last edited:
You mean someone here really thinks ALIENS sucked? :confused:

(Not being facetious, I'm actually surprised)

:lol

This is a really odd topic to bring up in a section which came about because of a super-thread called ALIEN and ALIENS. Talk about asking for trouble. :)

But I have to admit, when I first saw "Aliens" in the theater, it left a bad taste in my mouth, mostly because of what it un-did in the Ridley version. It was such a change of tone and pace, it really threw me. I felt that they took out the style and substituted the "Rambo" influence of the day -- which Cameron did. However, once I got past comparing it to the original, I came to like it upon a second viewing...and, as with all things, multiple viewing, again and again, has made it a classic in my mind.

I do think it's a great movie... although nothing will replace my love for the original, or how it effected me when I first saw it as a kid. Stayed for a second show that night.

The Alien Saga has always been my favourite series of films and for the most part, Camerons sequel was my pick of the bunch. Nostalgia and familiarity played a big part in this because Aliens is one of the first films I remember seeing as a kid and it was always being aired on tv as I was growing up. Plus the images of badass space marines with huge machine guns facing off against Alien monsters was very appealing to any young boy who played with toy soldiers in the garden.

In more recent years though my preference has shifted back and forth and now I have a greater appreciation for the first movie, and Alien 3 in particular which I think is a fantastic movie.

Aliens strength as a movie is its no-nonsense approach and easy accessabiltiy to audiences. I suppose its more "commercial" for l;ack of a better word :rolleyes: Alien is a masterclass in atmosphere and horror but its more disturbing, cerebral and tougher on audiences.

These days I appreciate those types of films more, which is why I enjoy Alien 3 so much, but Aliens is a complete tour de force and so much fun to watch. It has memorable characters, great design and some spectacular set pieces. I agree with the gripe about the threat and mystique of the Aliens being dilluted but thats the way it goes. I cant understand why you think its boring thoguh since most people who criticise the movie say its too OTT. Lie ridley in Alien, Cameron took time to establish characters and places to immersue you in the Alien universe, something which new film makers chose to ignore.

Last edited:
Hey don't bring Highlander into this, its a kickass movie in its own right... yet I hope no one would defend its sequels. Leave your own dislike of the movies to take a beating w/o bringing in other peoples enjoyable cinema :lol

And really Highlander being equated with Rosie... you could at least give us Courtney Love :huh

You know, Courtney Love is not a bad analogy considering she was once pretty hot, like The People vs Larry Flint and Man on the Moon. But she just has not held up over the years.

aliens was the best of the four. it was the second and was filled with everything you'd need for a successful sci-fi. maybe the thread starter saw the director's cut and was disappointed of the film flow with the extra footage. start your grinnin' and drop your linen! :lol

Miracle, I respect you for stating your opinion so openly in a forum that are clearly filled with Aliens fanatics (me included).

I've showed the movie to many people and they have had similar opinions to you.

As for the first hour, the whole idea was to present a buildup to the mayhem to come. It's all atmosphere, and in my opinion is something lacking in movies today where they jump right into the action (AVPR for example). Plus this way Cameron was able to give time to character development. By the end of the movie, I felt like i knew almost all the characters so well, so that when something DID happen to them, I actually cared for them (or hated them). AVPR just had pointless killing after killing of characters I had met 3 seconds before their death.

I'm glad you atleast liked Alien or this thread would have probably been deleted a long time ago!! :lol

For me, there is nothing that has come close to the experience I've had watching it and the movie just gets better everytime I see it.

Last edited:
Aliens did stink. They died too easily and their blood was not as acidic as it was in the original. You couldn't kill one of the things in the first movie without serious consequences, it took the lack of air in space to vanquish it. In the second film they were dying like flies with a few bursts with a gun.

I love ALIENS but I have to agree that the "Aliens" were killed off very easily. :monkey2 That was my only grip. I still think they are the "perfect organism." :D

Aliens did stink. They died too easily and their blood was not as acidic as it was in the original. You couldn't kill one of the things in the first movie without serious consequences, it took the lack of air in space to vanquish it. In the second film they were dying like flies with a few bursts with a gun.

Well, in Alien they were in outer space with essentially no weapons, and they didn't really know what they were up against for the most of the movie. I don't think it's that unrealistic for a squad of space marines to be able to kill them the way they did. I guess you can say that you don't like the entire "space marines versus aliens" concept (and it is admittedly quite a departure from the atmosphere of the first movie) but I don't think it would make sense to have the aliens be any harder to kill than they were. In Alien the tension came from never know exactly where the alien was. In Aliens, it comes from the fact that the aliens just keep coming, no matter how many you kill or what you do.

A lot of people seem to think that Aliens is about badass marines in battle (and you can certainly enjoy it on that level), but in reality the marines were overconfident and weren't able to successfully battle the aliens despite their superior weaponry. That's a major theme of the movie, and the deleted scene with Hudson going on about what a badass he was really shows this.

Back