Alligator grabs two year old at Disney World

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly Disney routinely removes gators from the lake, but not "recently." Perhaps due to cost cutting? They have cut jobs recently from what I've read. I can't think that they won't be liable in some way. A no swimming sign seems harmless compared to a "beware of alligators" sign.

They'll be liable no matter what sign or fence they had up. That's just the way it is.

According to the FWC guy, they only remove alligators that are a nuisance. Probably like the golf courses do. And those gators are killed, they aren't moved.

Like they said in the press conference, the gators can travel miles by land and fences wouldn't make a difference.

I pictured a fence maybe a few feet into the water to stop them pouncing on unsuspecting people.
The water plants you describe sounds like perfect cover for an Alligator hunting.

Really surprised this hasn't happened before.

Like they said in the press conference, the gators can travel miles by land and fences wouldn't make a difference.

Animals will usually find their way into just about anything. I guess my point is that alligators should not have access to Disneyworld. Period. we're not talking about mice or flies. If you cant secure your property from gators (or any other predator lethal to humans) maybe you should think twice about allowing people on the property or at a mimimum near open water sources.

Supposedly Disney routinely removes gators from the lake, but not "recently." Perhaps due to cost cutting? They have cut jobs recently from what I've read. I can't think that they won't be liable in some way. A no swimming sign seems harmless compared to a "beware of alligators" sign.

ironic how they raised their minimum wage to 10....

As tragic as this is.....it's Florida. There are simply going to be gators. People want to sue and blame everyone else today ( I suspect this will eventually happen here too ). The world is a dangerous place and bad things are going to happen. When nature happens it can be tragic and this certainly is, but things like this will happen again.

Go on holiday - Relax on beach - Child taken away by Alligator.
I would certainly be looking for someone to blame!

As said there's a huge difference between 'No Swimming' and 'Warning Alligators'.
The latter would keep me and my family well away from the whole beach, never mind the water.

Just walked by the TV in my office and CNN reports that the toddler's body has been found...no specifics yet.

:lol You sound like some of the reporters yelling out things at the press conferences.

i went to law school. Thinking this way gets in your system. And this is what the family's atty will (rightfully) argue.

Go on holiday - Relax on beach - Child taken away by Alligator.
I would certainly be looking for someone to blame!

As said there's a huge difference between 'No Swimming' and 'Warning Alligators'.
The latter would keep me and my family well away from the whole beach, never mind the water.

Yeah because breaking the rules is OK as long as nothing happens to YOU or your family right? Never mind the signs, just do what you want and then blame someone else when something goes wrong.

Yeah because breaking the rules is OK as long as nothing happens to YOU or your family right? Never mind the signs, just do what you want and then blame someone else when something goes wrong.

Jeeez! How many two year old do you see swimming?
Walking in ankle deep water is NOT swimming. So what rules were being broke?

As i understNd it the sign said no swimming. But the kid was t swimming. He was wading. Not even sure he had a bathing suit on. But now we're debating what is "swimming". The purpose of the sign is to keep people out of the water due to gator. Then THATS how the sign should read :WARNING- GATORS MAY BE PRESENT. DO NOT GO IN WATER".

Tthat sign specifically warns of the danger. Then it should be of a certain size with a certain font and a certain color. There should be x number of them given the size of the waterfront, they should be in multiple languages, brail, and include an auditory warning for the blind or illiterate. THATS how you warn ppl.

At least thats what an atty would argue. Not saying i argee just ponting out what will likely be presented.

disney is the happiest place on earth, they charge up to the wazoo to stay at their resorts, specially that resort
the whole point of staying at disney is that you dont have to worry about anything, you just go and relax... i know disney is in the middle of a swamp but either dont make beaches or make it hard for the gators to walk in.
build a wall around the lake to keep them out.

I mean... people living in the states know about the gators but what about people around the world? not everyone is going to know the dangers.

Jeeez! How many two year old do you see swimming?
Walking in ankle deep water is NOT swimming. So what rules were being broke?

Give me a break. No swimming means stay the **** out of the water. Does it have to be a sign that says "No swimming, wading, drinking, doggy paddling or peeing in this water. If a gator attacks you we have no responsibility" ??????

Are people SO stupid today that need a memo faxed to them that spells out EVERY SINGLE possible thing that could ever happen so that they can understand? Today's society is so coddled and dumbed down. If I see a sign that says NO SWIMMING then I'm not messing with the water AND being in Florida I'd be willing to be there may be gators around.

That said, I can ot imagine what these parents are feeling and my heart truly breaks for them, BUT "give us money because something happened" is all to quick a battle cry today.

^ Exactly. To me 'No Swimming' does not mean 'Keep Out'.
Even then you need to account for any foreign speaking visitors.

The point is no people should be encouraged to relax on a beach that has deadly animals lurking.

what about the guests that dont speak english? guests from china? india? Japan? what about them?

^ Exactly. To me 'No Swimming' does not mean 'Keep Out'.
Even then you need to account for any foreign speaking visitors.

The point is no people should be encouraged to relax on a beach that has deadly animals lurking.

Are you serious? So no swimming mean go ahead in the water, but just don't "swim" to you? LOL

Give me a break. No swimming means stay the **** out of the water. Does it have to be a sign that says "No swimming, wading, drinking, doggy paddling or peeing in this water. If a gator attacks you we have no responsibility" ??????

Are people SO stupid today that need a memo faxed to them that spells out EVERY SINGLE possible thing that could ever happen so that they can understand? Today's society is so coddled and dumbed down. If I see a sign that says NO SWIMMING then I'm not messing with the water AND being in Florida I'd be willing to be there may be gators around.

That said, I can ot imagine what these parents are feeling and my heart truly breaks for them, BUT "give us money because something happened" is all to quick a battle cry today.

Should say 'Keep out ot the water' then. Simple!

I'm not here to argue, you clearly are :wave

Back