ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: All things transformers!!!!

I have a preference for figures to have diecast where it makes sense and for carbots to have rubber tyres and I also like chrome on certain parts of some characters.

The G1 toys had diecast, chrome and rubber tyres, it's a nostalgia thing. No different to anyone wanting the MP figures to look as close to the animation models as possible.

I am not a cartoon guy, it's why I won't touch figures like Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, the vanbots and Shockwave.

I also think that with MP figures costing as much as they do the use of better quality plastics and materials like diecast can help them feel a bit more high end than the average figure.

That's the thing though, Diecast doesn't really make a figure better, nor it gives it a premium feel IMO. Case in point, Sunsurge. The guy weighs less than Ironhide and the same as Hot Rod. He has ZERO diecast and costs $100 plus shipping. I still think its a great figure.

Diecast is overrated, it gives that so called "premium feel" when in reality it doesn't really add anything. Opinions are opinions and everyone has one, to each its own.

I know I sound like a broken record but I like saving money and arming fans with information to help them save as well.

I paid from 104 USD from Anime Export after PayPal conversion .AE provides 30% off retail and HLJ provides 20% off retail.

If you are worried about customer service it's wise to order from HLJ instead. HLJ doesn't shut down the pre order they keep it open until in stock plus they still give you 20% off .

Both AE and HLJ provide very nice packing. HLJ has actual branded HLJ shipping boxes abs AE ships in unbranded boxes.

I use AE because they allow pile of loot for longer than 60 days. HLJ is strict and will cancel you order after 60 days of being in stock.

Just trying to spread the word because I hate seeing people post saying " I wouldn't pay 169.00 for him plus shipping when you don't have too.

I buy my MP's from overseas because of your very useful info, Lotus. It is always appreciated.

I buy my MP's from overseas because of your very useful info, Lotus. It is always appreciated.

Thanks, saving money is an art.:hi5: Why pay more if you don't have too that's how I look at it.

In other news, My AE order shipped last night so really excited to get Shockwave, Hot Rod , and Ultra Magnus :) 49.44 Express shipping for 2 large box figures and a smaller one :yess:WHOOOO!!!!!!!! .....sometimes it pays to wait :)
/

incomming space choo choo

MP-33

MP-33-Astrotrain-928x483.jpg

:wink1:

Re: All things transformers!!!!

That's the thing though, Diecast doesn't really make a figure better, nor it gives it a premium feel IMO. Case in point, Sunsurge. The guy weighs less than Ironhide and the same as Hot Rod. He has ZERO diecast and costs $100 plus shipping. I still think its a great figure.

Diecast is overrated, it gives that so called "premium feel" when in reality it doesn't really add anything. Opinions are opinions and everyone has one, to each its own.

I guess that's something we'll have to disagree on, which is fine. It makes a change for that to happen without any hostility.

I don't think diecast is needed with every figure and I only like it on Transformers when it serves a purpose ie if it's in the lower half of a figure to ensure stability in robot mode. Having it just for the sake of including it rarely works out.

With Hot Toys Iron Man figures the move to diecast made a big difference to how I felt about the plastic ones. I sold most of mine off as the diecast ones just felt nicer.

It's a similar kind of deal with Transformers, I've found that I look forward to figures like the Fans Toys Dinobots that bit more than anything else.

There are exceptions to that, Badcube Sunsurge and MMC Impactor being recent ones but that's also due to the characters and what they mean to me.

Ramjet paid for. Sadly, there wasn't an option overseas so got ripped off pretty good much like the other seekers.

What do you do.

Ramjet paid for. Sadly, there wasn't an option overseas so got ripped off pretty good much like the other seekers.

What do you do.

Resell and wait for the KO is the easy answer.

The first MP11 KO's are imminent, it's only a matter of time before they do Ramjet.

Why pay $200 or so when the KO will be $70-$100?

It's not like KO's are as crappy as they were in the past, the quality of the MP ones seems to be improving, the oversized ones are actually better than the legit ones.

Resell and wait for the KO is the easy answer.

The first MP11 KO's are imminent, it's only a matter of time before they do Ramjet.

Why pay $200 or so when the KO will be $70-$100?

It's not like KO's are as crappy as they were in the past, the quality of the MP ones seems to be improving, the oversized ones are actually better than the legit ones.

I will not support any KO companies. Only Takara for me. For me I just sell some stuff to help pay for Masterpieces.

Received my Masterpiece Shockwave by surprise today - didn't expect he'd arrive until early next week. Not bad for shipping form Japan on Tuesday!

The mold itself is great; I think the nailed they proportions and sculpt perfectly, and the 3rd party alternatives don't even come close in that regard. The ratcheted joints are very nice and the diecast feet feel good. I love how they handled the wire from his arm to his back - looks good and should hold up for a very long time. the light-up features look good, although for what they charge they could have included the damn batteries in the box.

Now the not so good: definitely disappointed in the finish of this figure. I think Shockwave may have been destined to feel out of place with Masterpieces from the get-go, simply because (whether you reference the cartoon or the toy) he's 90% one solid color. No other character they've tackled so far has been even close to as monotone as Shockwave, so he was trouble from the start. And I believe his monotone appearance is why the finish chosen for him was so critical; as little as there is to work with, every little bit counted.

The purple they chose is just inexpensive feeling. A deeper, darker purple like the original toy (not oversaturated like the original 3rd party option) would have done wonders for his aesthetics. To make matters worse, his only other color (grey) also has a purple tint to it, eliminating what little contrast he would have had. Chrome thighs like the G1 toy and grey silver bits elsewhere - combined with the deeper purple - would have really added some much-needed pop. And while I appreciate the light-piped eye when it works, when it doesn't catch the light it just appears dull and green (from the surrounding purple). Just painting the eye with a shiny metallic paint like the original G1 toy would have looked much better and - again - felt more premium.

Overall just a lot of really poor choices in finishing for an otherwise great mold. I hope what they've done with Shockwave doesn't become a trend. Can you imagine finally getting a V2.0 Megatron, but instead of using chrome/silver paint they just make him matte white plastic to match the cartoon? Yuck.

I will not support any KO companies. Only Takara for me. For me I just sell some stuff to help pay for Masterpieces.

Same. It's not much different than I how treat Hot Toys. Newly created third party figures that fill a gap in the licensed output is one thing, but recasting is a form of piracy I don't support.

I'm the same way. It's one thing to support 3P (I've started just recently, it wasn't easy) but a KO is a complete different thing. I dont care how "premium" they feel, that's just wrong IMO. Takara all the way, even if I feel ripped off sometimes.

Received my Masterpiece Shockwave by surprise today - didn't expect he'd arrive until early next week. Not bad for shipping form Japan on Tuesday!

The mold itself is great; I think the nailed they proportions and sculpt perfectly, and the 3rd party alternatives don't even come close in that regard. The ratcheted joints are very nice and the diecast feet feel good. I love how they handled the wire from his arm to his back - looks good and should hold up for a very long time. the light-up features look good, although for what they charge they could have included the damn batteries in the box.

Now the not so good: definitely disappointed in the finish of this figure. I think Shockwave may have been destined to feel out of place with Masterpieces from the get-go, simply because (whether you reference the cartoon or the toy) he's 90% one solid color. No other character they've tackled so far has been even close to as monotone as Shockwave, so he was trouble from the start. And I believe his monotone appearance is why the finish chosen for him was so critical; as little as there is to work with, every little bit counted.

The purple they chose is just inexpensive feeling. A deeper, darker purple like the original toy (not oversaturated like the original 3rd party option) would have done wonders for his aesthetics. To make matters worse, his only other color (grey) also has a purple tint to it, eliminating what little contrast he would have had. Chrome thighs like the G1 toy and grey silver bits elsewhere - combined with the deeper purple - would have really added some much-needed pop. And while I appreciate the light-piped eye when it works, when it doesn't catch the light it just appears dull and green (from the surrounding purple). Just painting the eye with a shiny metallic paint like the original G1 toy would have looked much better and - again - felt more premium.

Overall just a lot of really poor choices in finishing for an otherwise great mold. I hope what they've done with Shockwave doesn't become a trend. Can you imagine finally getting a V2.0 Megatron, but instead of using chrome/silver paint they just make him matte white plastic to match the cartoon? Yuck.

Thanks for the excellent review, Spanbauer. He's really a difficult character to get right I think... After all, He was never anything out of the ordinary to begin with.

Looking forward to your pics!

Back