ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as Shockwave feels solid and durable, the rest looks great to me. The different shades of red in Sideswipe did not bother me and this one doesn't look as bad. Hopefully ill have it next week along with Hot Rod.

But cannot wait for Optimus Primal.

I'm not a fan of KOs either, it's definite piracy and shouldn't be encouraged IMO. I pick up 3rd party figures that Takara hasn't covered, but I'll support Takara all the way. Afterall without Takara there'd be no Transformers Masterpiece line anyway. I'm more likely to drop the 3rd party stuff over an official release; did that with Quakewave, PO cancelled for the FT as soon as I saw Takara were doing Laserwave even though I hadn't seen any photos of it.

My Ramjet landed today, but it's got a really badly warped/melted chest piece so it's going to have to go back for a refund, but I can't get a replacement as Kapow have no more in stock. Most other places have sold out too or upped the price so it's looking like I'll either have to pass or pay even more. Does anyone know of anywhere that still has it in stock for a reasonable price?

FullSizeRenderzsm.jpg

Misterscruff,
I'm intrested in characters, not the brand name on the packaging.

As long as the quality and price is acceptable I don't care who makes it.

In the last 18 months the official MP line has gone from my top priority to something I've given up on. If it ended tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Continuing to give Takara my money when they're no longer making MP figures I want to buy just to stay loyal to the brand makes no kind of financial sense.

Misterscruff,

In the last 18 months the official MP line has gone from my top priority to something I've given up on. If it ended tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Why exactly should I continue to give Takara my money when they're no longer making figures I want to buy?

I never said you should buy Takara products, nor did I direct my post at you. I was just giving my general opinion.

I know your opinion, you've repeated it ad nauseam in the majority of your posts. You buy what you want, and I'll buy what I want.

I never said you should buy Takara products, nor did I direct my post at you. I was just giving my general opinion.

I know your opinion, you've repeated it ad nauseam in the majority of your posts. You buy what you want, and I'll buy what I want.

Given the generally pro-HasTak nature of this thread it can be difficult to know how some posts are intended to come across in relation to what I've said.

As for the little dig, was there really any need for that?

If what I have to say bothers you that much use the ignore feature, it's that simple.

Misterscruff,

Continuing to give Takara my money when they're no longer making MP figures I want to buy just to stay loyal to the brand makes no kind of financial sense.

We all know this, you don't like what Takara does and that's totally fine. I am the same way as many, If an official version comes out, the 3p goes. That simple.

Some might not care what the box says (much like many don't care about the "premium" diecast" or "rubber" on their toys) but to some, the fact that the box says "The Transformers" is a decisive factor. As a kid, I never wanted a box that said "big red truck" or " gray mean gun". I wanted Optimus and Megatron.

Without Takara, these companies wouldn't exist. And while I respect the work some of them do (I actually own 3P) they can never replace an official release IMO, no matter how much random metal or rubber gets thrown in the mix. Official is official, no matter how one sees it. That faction symbols carries weight.

It is a complete different ballpark to support KO's though. I love the brand too much to do that, but that's just me. It's plain stealing.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, you seem to be a reasonable individual. But sometimes your comments about what Takara does (or doesn't) might just rub some the wrong way.

I'm not a fan of KOs either, it's definite piracy and shouldn't be encouraged IMO. I pick up 3rd party figures that Takara hasn't covered, but I'll support Takara all the way. Afterall without Takara there'd be no Transformers Masterpiece line anyway. I'm more likely to drop the 3rd party stuff over an official release; did that with Quakewave, PO cancelled for the FT as soon as I saw Takara were doing Laserwave even though I hadn't seen any photos of it.

My Ramjet landed today, but it's got a really badly warped/melted chest piece so it's going to have to go back for a refund, but I can't get a replacement as Kapow have no more in stock. Most other places have sold out too or upped the price so it's looking like I'll either have to pass or pay even more. Does anyone know of anywhere that still has it in stock for a reasonable price?

View attachment 256279

Man, that totally sucks.

I know its expensive, but BBTS in the US has them in stock.

On another note, have you guys seen the crazy prices for MP-11SW? When did this happen?

Given the generally pro-HasTak nature of this thread it can be difficult to know how some posts are intended to come across in relation to what I've said.

As for the last little dig, was there really any need for that?

I know I bang on a bit sometimes, it's no different to the pro Takara crowd gushing over every new release.

Maybe that last comment was a little unnecessary:you just hit a nerve, so apologies if you're upset by it. The constant negativity is one of the reasons I don't visit this thread as much as I used to.

We all know this, you don't like what Takara does and that's totally fine. I am the same way as many, If an official version comes out, the 3p goes. That simple.

Some might not care what the box says (much like many don't care about the "premium" diecast" or "rubber" on their toys) but to some, the fact that the box says "The Transformers" is a decisive factor. As a kid, I never wanted a box that said "big red truck" or " gray mean gun". I wanted Optimus and Megatron.

Without Takara, these companies wouldn't exist. And while I respect the work some of them do (I actually own 3P) they can never replace an official release IMO, no matter how much random metal or rubber gets thrown in the mix. Official is official, no matter how one sees it. That faction symbols carries weight.

It is a complete different ballpark to support KO's though. I love the brand too much to do that, but that's just me. It's plain stealing.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, you seem to be a reasonable individual. But sometimes your comments about what Takara does (or doesn't) might just rub some the wrong way.

I bought a KO Ratbat because paying £15 shipped made more sense than paying over £100 plus international shipping and a probable customs charge for a Soundblaster I didn't want.

I am also considering the KO of Exhaust as I want the Immobiliser accessory and not the actual figure. £20 over £50-£70.

If Takara had included the Immobiliser with Wheeljack in the first place I would have gotten 2 as I bought that figure twice. That didn't happen so when the other option presented itself I became tempted.

With the Seeker mold I disliked how characters like Skywarp and Thundercracker were made Exclusives as it meant that the UK import prices were even higher than usual and it looks like they're doing the same with the Coneheads. $200 for any version of that mold isn't worth it to me, but if the KO's are significantly cheaper, I might get a couple.

Beyond that, I don't expect to get any other KO's.

I am well aware that my comments might rub some the wrong way, in the past individuals ( not you ) have chosen to get a bit nasty, it is why I sometimes go on the defensive a little early.

I just don't get the brand loyalty. I've no connection to Takara beyond owning some of their products. Who rips them off isn't something I lose sleep over, it's not relevant to how I approach collecting.

The existence of 3rd parties and decent quality KO's means I don't have to stop collecting Transformers. If I was only buying official stuff, I would have quit a couple of years ago.

I bought a KO Ratbat because paying £15 shipped made more sense than paying over £100 plus international shipping and a probable customs charge for a Soundblaster I didn't want.

I am also considering the KO of Exhaust as I want the Immobiliser accessory and not the actual figure. £20 over £50-£70.

If Takara had included the Immobiliser with Wheeljack in the first place I would have gotten 2 as I bought that figure twice. That didn't happen so when the other option presented itself I became tempted.

With the Seeker mold I disliked how characters like Skywarp and Thundercracker were made Exclusives as it meant that the UK import prices were even higher than usual and it looks like they're doing the same with the Coneheads. $200 for any version of that mold isn't worth it to me, but if the KO's are significantly cheaper, I might get a couple.

Beyond that, I don't expect to get any other KO's.

I am well aware that my comments might rub some the wrong way, in the past individuals ( not you ) have chosen to get a bit nasty, it is why I sometimes go on the defensive a little early.

I just don't get the brand loyalty. I've no connection to Takara beyond owning some of their products. Who rips them off isn't something I lose sleep over, it's not relevant to how I approach collecting.

The existence of 3rd parties and decent quality KO's means I don't have to stop collecting Transformers. If I was only buying official stuff, I would have quit a couple of years ago.

It's all good. At least in here we can have normal, adult conversations.

TFW, on the other hand.........

Maybe that last comment was a little unnecessary:you just hit a nerve, so apologies if you're upset by it. The constant negativity is one of the reasons I don't visit this thread as much as I used to.

OK, no worries, I know I go on a bit too much sometimes so all's cool.

It's all good. At least in here we can have normal, adult conversations.

TFW, on the other hand.........

Agreed.

TFW is good for some things, sensible discussion is not one of them.

I randomly bought an official, non MP figure this week, it's even from an era that's totally new to me.

I wanted something different from my usual kind of thing and picked up Generations Waspinator from a seller on Amazon UK.

Being a couple of years old it's free of the cost cutting measures that make the Combiner Wars figures look so dreadful, the colors are nice and vibrant, there's some nice detailing, decent articulation, no translucent or soft plastic, the paint apps are decent, even the flappy wing gimmick works well.

Bug mode is slightly dodgy in places due to visible bot mode limbs but still decent, it's a great toy all round.

I have now got Rhinox on the way and am considering Rattrap too.

I watched a few Beast Wars clips on Youtube to see where the characters originated and thought it was OK apart from the whole "Maximise!", "Terrorise!" thing each time they transformed which was irritating.

I also thought the guy who did Optimus Primal's voice was trying too hard to sound like Peter Cullen and Megatron's voice didn't really sound right for the character especially when he was in T Rex mode :lol

Masterpiece Shockwave Photoshoot

Thanks for the excellent review, Spanbauer. He's really a difficult character to get right I think... After all, He was never anything out of the ordinary to begin with.

Looking forward to your pics!
Thanks! Got a chance to take some Shockwave photos this afternoon. I tried to white balance and color correct to show the actual purple as much as possible, and if anything my photos are still more purple than he actually is. When I brought him home yesterday, without a word from me my girlfriend said, "that's a really lavender toy".

I'll re-iterate that he's a great mold, perfect sculpt and smart transformation. Although, plastic that forms the legs could have definitely stood to be thicker to avoid that hollow plastic easter egg feeling (I can't think of another Masterpiece figure with plastic that thin).

If someone sold a replacement for the light-pipe eye that was just a metallic painted golden eye with solid purple backing, I would buy it in a heartbeat. In fact I wish Takara-Tomy had included that as an option. On my shelf and 90% of the time, his eye is just a dull lime green because there's no light passing through and the translucent yellow mixes with the purple to make green. With such a monochromatic character, that bright gold eye was so critical and on the shelf it's completely lost.

Behold, the green-eyed, Lavenderwave.

DSC_0122.jpgDSC_0100.jpgDSC_0097.jpgDSC_0095.jpgDSC_0089.jpgDSC_0062.jpgDSC_0052.jpgDSC_0051.jpgDSC_0048.jpgDSC_0038.jpgDSC_0031.jpgDSC_0023.jpgDSC_0014.jpgDSC_0013.jpgDSC_0009.jpg

Shocky looks magnificent in those pics Spanbauer! I like the insignia placements, but I think I'll be going full cartoon accurate and apply the "weird ones" instead.

That shot with Soundwave and Starscream is awesome!

Thanks fellas. I couldn't help myself and had to do a mockup of what I wish this Shockwave figure looked like alongside Starscream and Soundwave.

Takara-Tomy just got way too cartoon literal with this figure, in terms of fitting in with the other characters. The cartoon characters were more often than not based on the toys, so Takara needs to recognize that some colors or looks in the cartoon were a compromise for what's possible for hand-drawn animation. For example, Optimus Prime's smokestacks in the cartoon are white, but that's obviously because they can't draw chrome. Likewise, Shockwave's fist and hand canon were a pinkish hue because they couldn't draw translucent purple plastic. The fact that Takara-Tomy threw in a pair of solid pinkish fists, and used zero silver or chrome paint anywhere on the figure, shows they're getting way too literal with the cartoon.

Darker colors in the cartoon were often cheated lighter so that they would show up. Shockwave shouldn't be lavender anymore than Ramjet's black parts should be 25% grey. And his grey matte bits should be metal/chrome just as much as Soundwave's cassette buttons.

shockwave-mockup.jpg

If this isn't some kind of joke, it's a strange move from FT. Announcing a V2 of Slag before they've finished the first set probably isn't going to go down very well.

If it's legit then it's a waste of their resources, Scoria wasn't perfect, but it doesn't need a V2 either especially so soon after the original.

The renders suggest the new one takes several hints from Giga Power's aesthetic so it's not something I'd be intrested in.

Thanks fellas. I couldn't help myself and had to do a mockup of what I wish this Shockwave figure looked like alongside Starscream and Soundwave.

Takara-Tomy just got way too cartoon literal with this figure, in terms of fitting in with the other characters. The cartoon characters were more often than not based on the toys, so Takara needs to recognize that some colors or looks in the cartoon were a compromise for what's possible for hand-drawn animation. For example, Optimus Prime's smokestacks in the cartoon are white, but that's obviously because they can't draw chrome. Likewise, Shockwave's fist and hand canon were a pinkish hue because they couldn't draw translucent purple plastic. The fact that Takara-Tomy threw in a pair of solid pinkish fists, and used zero silver or chrome paint anywhere on the figure, shows they're getting way too literal with the cartoon.

Darker colors in the cartoon were often cheated lighter so that they would show up. Shockwave shouldn't be lavender anymore than Ramjet's black parts should be 25% grey. And his grey matte bits should be metal/chrome just as much as Soundwave's cassette buttons.

View attachment 256360

Shockwave looks good with the metallic paint applied to the feet, gun handle sides, thighs, and his ears. Takara should have went this route. Also what's up with Decepticon labels? We have to stick these on ourselves? Common now!

Back