ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up my MP Soundwave today and he is AWESOME !!!

No QC issues at all. Paint and joints are all perfect :hi5:

My only (tiny) nitpick is I wish they had chromed the visor like Grimlock. It still looks good but doesn't catch the light as well. All in all a GREAT figure though !!!

Some pics with other Soundwave figs:

P1010815.jpg

P1010819.jpg

P1010824.jpg

P1010836.jpg

P1010816.jpg

P1010845.jpg

Bob

ARG!! Got my second MP Soundwave from Robot Kingdom and it has the exact same problem as the first one, and wonky ankle. I really feel like smashing something right about now. WTF Takara...

Damn,talk about bad luck dude.Did you get things sorted with your first Soundwave?Youve spent nearly 400$ plus shipping on these and both have the same defect,that's pretty harsh.

The feet appear to be on small ratcheting joints, and if one of the teeth is slightly mis-aligned that can cause this problem. An easy fix if you are handy with a screw driver and small spring loaded pieces, but you shouldn't need to be after paying that much for something.
Sorry bro.
So glad i didn't pre-order this though.

P1010815.jpg

Honestly, I'm fine with the $30 version on the right. I think the masterpiece line took a turn for the worse when it just became slightly larger, more-articulated $200 clones of the originals.

P1010815.jpg

Honestly, I'm fine with the $30 version on the right. I think the masterpiece line took a turn for the worse when it just became slightly larger, more-articulated $200 clones of the originals.

Good for you Spanbauer. Seriously. However for me, the one on the right looks like the figure I had in the 80's when I was a kid. I had it. I played with it. I now want the cool one on the left.

I don't see anything wrong with that :dunno. It's larger, much more detailed, super articulated and both modes are true to the source material. Heck you could say the same thing about MP Grimlock and look how freakin awesome he turned out :nana:

Come to think of it, I actually prefer they stay true to the simple G1-esque transformations. Out of all the MP's, my least favorite are Rodimus, Megatron and MP10 Optimus. I like the characters and bot/alt modes but I don't like the overly complicated transformation, it takes the fun out of transforming it.

Last edited:
So I broke down and bought the TRU MP10 (from a stack in a guang zhou TRU in china). Took prime out and was impressed. I wanted the takara version..but got tired of hunting for him, plus, the TRU version was right there in front of me.

Now here are my questions. Are there any QC issues with the hasbro version? I noticed that his ankles are looser than I would have liked. Is it normal? I mean they're loose when you angle them up, down (like stepping on a gas pedal). If its normal, was it like this on the takara version? Finally...his chest doesn't close tight. There's a slight slit and I have to really fiddle around with it to make it look less apparent, but it's still kinda there.

Got mine today. Soundwave was my first Transformers and I now I'm reunited with an awesome new version. I feel nostalgic.

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

Last edited:
So I broke down and bought the TRU MP10 (from a stack in a guang zhou TRU in china). Took prime out and was impressed. I wanted the takara version..but got tired of hunting for him, plus, the TRU version was right there in front of me.

Now here are my questions. Are there any QC issues with the hasbro version? I noticed that his ankles are looser than I would have liked. Is it normal? I mean they're loose when you angle them up, down (like stepping on a gas pedal). If its normal, was it like this on the takara version? Finally...his chest doesn't close tight. There's a slight slit and I have to really fiddle around with it to make it look less apparent, but it's still kinda there.

Ankles on mine"seem" loose but arent really,just a really great range of motion. If you dont want chrome paint scratched off the bumper either take out the little screws in the cab windows or cover em with some tape.

Finally got MP12 and MP13 shipped together from RK!!! Pretty amazed by them both!

Soundwave looks pretty much perfect, but I havent transformed him yet.

But there are definitely some sloppy paint and related QC problems with Sideswipe. Nothing too drastic, but there are small paint marks where the red seems to have been either scratched off or marked.

Anyone else have issues like this with Sideswipe?

New molds give or take, I don´t think that MP-01 and 05 will be "forgotten", to call it that way.
I completly know what you mean, that the new MP´s will just look excellent in terms of scale and also quality if you compare those with each other, but those were the first MP´s to REALLY give us the form those characters had and were transformable and TOTALLY high end. When you look at the value of MP-01 Prime...I guess it´s pretty obvious that those won´t be forgotten.
Since Igot both TOTALLY mint and to a great price...I love mine to death and I can´t stop looking at them.
:yess:

Anyhow...totally hope for Magnus and Galvatron.
I love my Classics United Galvatron, but I just want all MP G1 glory I can get now...

We'll have to agree to disagree there. MP05 was mediocre when released and looks even worse now.

All that engineering doesn't mean a thing as it was so badly put together that it could barely stand under it's own weight for more than a few minutes and felt so fragile that many people including myself never even tried doing the full transformation....I don't think my friend would have been too pleased if I'd damaged it.

Until Takara roll out the V2 the best fully transformable G1 Megatron is Hegemon, nothing comes close to that robot mode.

MP01 was a nice design but the unecessary diecast and ridiculous size made it very top heavy and the terrible QC on both Hasbro versions were enough to put me off any future Hasbro Masterpieces and the MP01 mold period.

When iGear came along, removed the diecast and made it a more manageable size I had my ideal version of MP01 and as I refuse to soil my shelves with MP10 it will remain on display with my other Masterpieces and 3rd party figures.

shrapnel,
Nice pics!

chockey88,
I have a finger mark in the paint on the roof of my Sideswipe which sucks but it's not noticeable in robot mode. When I get my second one to keep in car mode I'll hopefully get one with no issues.

Pineapple,
Good point!

There's a school of thought amongst some fans that Masterpieces should have complex transformations.

I strongly disagree.

G1 toys were pretty simple as they were meant to be fun for the target demographic ( kids ).

As the Masterpiece line heavily relies on older collectors having nostalgia for the toys of their youth there's no point making the transformations more complex than they need to be as it would lessen that feeling.

All the best Masterpieces incorporate many elements of the original G1 transformation schemes with just enough new bits to make the experience feel new whilst still invoking that feeling of nostalgia.

If anything it says much for the strength of the original transformations that they can still be worked into toys 30 years later and not seem out of place.

Silent Bob,
Congrats sir! Nice pics with the other Soundwaves!

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree there. MP05 was mediocre when released and looks even worse now.

All that engineering doesn't mean a thing as it was so badly put together that it could barely stand under it's own weight and felt so fragile that many people including myself never even tried doing the full transformation....I don't think my friend would have been too pleased if I'd damaged it.

MP01 was a nice design but the unecessary diecast and ridiculous size made it very top heavy and the terrible QC on both Hasbro versions were enough to put me off any future Hasbro Masterpieces and the MP01 mold period.

When iGear came along, removed the diecast and made it a more manageable size I had my ideal version of MP01.

shrapnel,
Nice pics!

chockey88,
I have a finger mark in the paint on the roof of my Sideswipe which sucks but it's not noticeable in robot mode. When I get my second one to keep in car mode I'll hopefully get one with no issues.

Pineapple,
Good point!

There's a school of thought amongst some fans that Masterpieces should have complex transformations.

I strongly disagree.

G1 toys were pretty simple as they were meant to be fun for the target demographic ( kids ).

As the Masterpiece line heavily relies on older collectors having nostalgia for the toys of their youth there's no point making the transformations more complex than they need to be as it would lessen that feeling.

All the best Masterpieces incorporate many elements of the original G1 transformation schemes with just enough new bits to make the experience feel new whilst still invoking that feeling of nostalgia.

If anything it says much for the strength of the original transformations that they can still be worked into toys 30 years later and not seem out of place.

To be honest I pretty much agree with you there corsair on the MP05 issue.

When I got him when he was first released I was pretty much in awe of how he looked, the size & everything was great but as time has gone on I can barely look at him.

The proportions all seem way off the head isn't very good, the legs too flimsy & the transformation was way to scary to ever attempt for me.

He has stayed in his box ever since I first got him & he will stay there for the foreseeable future.

I will buy a v2 without a doubt but v1 is definitely best forgotten IMO.

I also agree with the simple transformations.

Everything seems overly complicated for no reason.
I love to be able to transform them & try out the different modes but so far I've only done a few...my MP03 seekers / Sideswipe / iGear Prime I've been way too scared to try any of the others - MP01 / MP05 / MP08 / MP09 all seem way too complicated & I've been scared about breaking them.

I want them as easy as possible so I can enjoy transforming & seeing both modes.

Neil

To be honest I pretty much agree with you there corsair on the MP05 issue.

When I got him when he was first released I was pretty much in awe of how he looked, the size & everything was great but as time has gone on I can barely look at him.

The proportions all seem way off the head isn't very good, the legs too flimsy & the transformation was way to scary to ever attempt for me.

He has stayed in his box ever since I first got him & he will stay there for the foreseeable future.

I will buy a v2 without a doubt but v1 is definitely best forgotten IMO.

I also agree with the simple transformations.

I love to be able to transform them & try out the different modes but so far I've only done a few...my MP03 seekers / Sideswipe / iGear Prime I've been way too scared to try any of the others - MP01 / MP05 / MP08 / MP09 all seem way too complicated & I've been scared about breaking them.

I want them as easy as possible so I can enjoy transforming & seeing both modes.

Neil

Due to the scale issues Megatron is one of those characters that will always be nigh impossible to get both modes looking good and I think MP05's design placed too much emphasis on the gun and the robot mode suffered as a result.

MP01's truck mode was adequate but his robot mode was very faithful to the original cartoon.

MP05 had a great gun mode, but the robot mode was poor back then and the ensuing years haven't been kind to it.

Soundwave is another one that's tricky to get both modes right as one will always be out of scale but Takara have managed it in some style.

I think Megatron V2 will be just fine especially if Takara's team used Hegemon as a starting point which is entirely possible as one of their designers has acknowledged he's a fan of that "evil" 3rd party stuff :wink1:

Neil

Gotta say... You're missing out, if you're saying you own these and haven't transformed them.

Here's my quick overview of MP12 Sideswipe and MP13 Soundwave. Nothing you guys dont already know, but what the hey ;)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zLmUZu1p0I[/ame]

Gotta say... You're missing out, if you're saying you own these and haven't transformed them.

Yep I own them all & haven't ever touched them.

They stay in Robot mode only.

To be fair though MP-01 is the Hasbro TRU Anniversary Edition & he was a 30th birthday present from my parents so he is actually still sealed & will remain that way.

I have an iGear Prime that takes his place for display purposes...if I ever feel brave enough to transform him again that is.

Neil

Back