ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I own them all & haven't ever touched them.

They stay in Robot mode only.

To be fair though MP-01 is the Hasbro TRU Anniversary Edition & he was a 30th birthday present from my parents so he is actually still sealed & will remain that way.

I have an iGear Prime that takes his place for display purposes...if I ever feel brave enough to transform him again that is.

Neil

MP Grimlock isn't too bad, if you know the G1 transformation it's basically that with a few added bits, watch a video review before trying it and it'll be OK.

I totally get where you're coming from though, most of my newer TF's have been transformed 1-2 times and once they're in robot mode and I've found a decent pose they go in my case and that's it.

Yep I own them all & haven't ever touched them.

They stay in Robot mode only.

To be fair though MP-01 is the Hasbro TRU Anniversary Edition & he was a 30th birthday present from my parents so he is actually still sealed & will remain that way.

I have an iGear Prime that takes his place for display purposes...if I ever feel brave enough to transform him again that is.

Neil

MP-08 then? Has to be the simplest Masterpiece to transform and is probably the most soildly engineered MP to date.

Not trying to have a dig mate, I promise :) Just trying to convey you have some of the most well engineered and satisfying to transform, Transformers ever designed.

Personal note: MP-05 and MP-09 are my absolute favorite TF's ever.

Gotta say... You're missing out, if you're saying you own these and haven't transformed them.

I hate transforming MP-9 and MP-11 in particular. I get frustrated and many times I get scared something will break! MP-8, MP-10, and now MP-12 and MP-13 are much easier and less complex.

MP-9 in particular was made far more complex than it needed to be, and you have to be so EXACT to get it to fit right in car mode!

Overall, I hardly ever transform them, and only if I really want to take a pic or something like that.

I hate transforming MP-9 and MP-11 in particular. I get frustrated and many times I get scared something will break! MP-8, MP-10, and now MP-12 and MP-13 are much easier and less complex.

MP-9 in particular was made far more complex than it needed to be, and you have to be so EXACT to get it to fit right in car mode!

Overall, I hardly ever transform them, and only if I really want to take a pic or something like that.

I can't speak of the MP-11 mold, as I haven't liked any of the colours HASTAK have used so far. Hoping for something miraculous, paintwise with the upcoming TRU Acidstorm :pray:

But MP-05 and MP-09 were the Transformers I've been dreaming of since I was a kid. I love the complex transformations, why have every TF snap and lock into place with 5 or 6 twists and turns? They're TF ingenuity at their best. I realise I'm in the minority don't worry :lol

I can't speak of the MP-11 mold, as I haven't liked any of the colours HASTAK have used so far. Hoping for something miraculous, paintwise with the upcoming TRU Acidstorm :pray:

But MP-05 and MP-09 were the Transformers I've been dreaming of since I was a kid. I love the complex transformations, why have every TF snap and lock into place with 5 or 6 twists and turns? They're TF ingenuity at their best. I realise I'm in the minority don't worry :lol

No im with you on this one. I think a toy that costs as much as these MP's do should be a little more complex and better engineered than some run of the mill tf-line deluxe's or voyager's.

I dont get why people want to pay so much and get less every time, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I also really like MP-09 too, again i dont get all the hate for him.

MP Grimlock isn't too bad, if you know the G1 transformation it's basically that with a few added bits, watch a video review before trying it and it'll be OK.

I totally get where you're coming from though, most of my newer TF's have been transformed 1-2 times and once they're in robot mode and I've found a decent pose they go in my case and that's it.

Yeah remember the G1 Transformation well...one of my bestest G1 figures ever so I really should dig him out of storage & give it a bash at somepoint.

I feel that Transformations have been getting more & more complicated since the Beast Wars / Robots in Disguise days.

Ever since then I've been really nervous about transforming stuff.

MP-08 then? Has to be the simplest Masterpiece to transform and is probably the most soildly engineered MP to date.

Not trying to have a dig mate, I promise :) Just trying to convey you have some of the most well engineered and satisfying to transform, Transformers ever designed.

Personal note: MP-05 and MP-09 are my absolute favorite TF's ever.

Lol don't worry I've got broad shoulders & I take nothing seriously...this is the internet after all said & done so I know you weren't digging :1-1:

I will take all the advice though & watch a vid or 2 & give MP-08 a go.

I'm not really sure of the hate for MP-09 either I actually really like him, he looks a little gangly but he's still a nice figure & I'm glad I have him...although I did get the V1 so he has his niggles.

Lol the first time I transformed Skywarp (my first MP seeker) I thought I was going to break everything on him...he seemed so fiddly but did get a tad easier over time & when Thundercracker arrived I was a dab hand ;) lol

When my MP-09 arrived I did try to Transform him but I got a part way & thought this is too much somethings definitely going to break so bottled out & put him back to normal.

Hoping MP17 - 19 take a few clues from the Lamborghini boys & aren't too complex.

Neil

Why do you hate MP-10 so much Corsair?

I do not like the overexaggerated, anime style proportions of the robot mode and am not bothered enough about the truck mode to pay Takara's asking price.

I dislike it, but any feelings as strong as "hate" just don't come into it as it's not something I ever think about to the extent which that term implies.

Last edited:
Well, got my package yesterday. Not QC issues with Soundwave, whew! :)

Didn't check Sideswipe yet, though... still a bit concerned about that.

Nice Pics. But it kinda sucks that Optimus is shorter than Soundwave.

Yeah, it's more noticeable than I thought it would be (I also own Faith Leader), but then again, I'm not likely to display them together either... I'd much rather have the more "human" looking Optimus, with the added bonus of being a touch shorter than Grimlock.

There is talk a of newer Grimlock or a re-issue...whether that happens,we'll see

If they make it bigger like it's supposed to be ill take it,but if not,im perfectly happy with the current MP Grimlock.

Who's doing the talking, someone who knows their stuff?

I scoured the MP spec thread (which I've neglected ever since TFW was firewalled at work, heh), and there's no mention of this being any more likely than it ever was (i.e. not very).

It's not been hinted at by any of the known insiders, nor does it seem likely to me that Takara feels the need to redo the character (which has also been said to be not all that popular in Japan) just to be an inch taller - especially considering that it's pretty much perfect as is.

The "scale sheet" Nazis over at TFW just can't get that through their head... It's not as if the animators - for which the scale sheet was produced in the first place - adhered to it. For them, it was just a (very) general guide, after all.

The fact that the original Grimlock toy was actually shorter than Prime is good enough for me. And I'm sure you can find instances in the animation where Prime was larger anyway, if you can try. They played fast and loose when it came to scale.

If anything gets forgotten over time its all these KO's. Nobody has made anything noteworthy worth remembering like Has/Tak did with either their early MP releases (Prime and Megatron), or even their latest stuff.

Oh please...

As for nothing noteworthy from the 3rd party stuff, I beg to differ.

AT THE VERY LEAST, I'd say city commander is pretty memorable. And has endured and lasted. He CAN however easily BECOME forgettable, were Tas/Hack to do a Masterpice Magnus with trailer Armor, and make it good.

He'll remain memorable regardless. Not every TF collector is dropping CHUGs for MPs. In fact, I'd say most aren't. We at Sideshow Freaks are the exception, not the rule.

Hercules, at least, will also remain memorable. I still don't see an MP Devastator coming out... even at this increased rate. And even if one does, people will still keep it for their CHUG collections. I'd probably keep Herc for combined mode and official version for the individual bots.

There were also other landmark releases... the iGear Coneheads (for all the well-deserved controversy), FP Warbot Defender (and quite a lot of other FP releases, including the trailer for Henkei Prime and Insecticons, among others), Delicate Warrior, any of the iGear Mini-Warriors - I mean, come on, do you really think we'll get an MP Gears? :)

Honestly, I'm fine with the $30 version on the right. I think the masterpiece line took a turn for the worse when it just became slightly larger, more-articulated $200 clones of the originals.

Huh? Isn't that the whole point?

Mind you, G1 Soundwave was one of the better - and certainly more accurate and articulated - toys of the original line. It's a difficult figure to improve upon, unlike, say, the Seekers.

I do not like the overexaggerated, anime style proportions of the robot mode and decided I wouldn't pay the asking price for the Takara figure when I already had a Prime that was adequate enough for my display.

I dislike it, but any feelings as strong as "hate" just don't come into it as it's not something I ever think about to the extent which that term implies.

Yup, I feel the same way.

I would probably get a Hasbro version, if I could find it cheap or trade for it. I'm not going out of my way, though. I'm sure it's as awesome as people say, but visually, it doesn't look quite as nice to me as the first design. It is DEFINITELY not more cartoon accurate, that's for sure.

Last edited:
DPrime,
Thought as much on Grimlock :lol

Had I liked MP10 I would have bought the Takara one at the time of release, but I didn't.

As the new generation of Masterpieces progresses it'll probably be a bit odd me not having the one that started it but I'm not paying £200 plus for a slightly better truck mode and a trailer I have no room to display just for the sake of completing the set.

On a different note, i have a question:
Since MP's are getting smaller due to all this "scale" nonsense, if i were to make a BB that turns into an actual VW Beetle which looked really close to the animation model and had really great paint apps and details like rubber tyres and some pretty clever engineering but was only deluxe sized, do you think i could get away with calling it an MP?
I know MP's are getting smaller but i think that might even be pushing it.

IF the articulation level was there, the build quality, and paint apps were there, and the detail was there, I'd probobly go for it.

MP sideswipe is not that much bigger than a deluxe, and he works.

WHAT would your pricepoint of this BB be dubs?

You couldn't call it Masterpiece (MP) or Bumblebee (BB)

How about "KO - Intellectual Property Theft Beatle"

:peace

Bob

Agree to disagree is totally ok, bud...but I have to do that a 2nd time.

Maybe...MP-05 is mediocre looking in aesthetical ways, compared to MP-01 and ESPECIALLY MP-10 and 13, but worse...now.
I definatly see that from my professional standpoint, which is technical draughtsman a, kind of, lower grade of engineer and also the love for those characters. And in that term Megatron looks amazing.

I don´t have the slightest problem about not standing under it´s own weight. I could pose Megatron in all poses I wanted to achieve and I did hold´em, without breaking one once. But what I saw from Hegemon...I have to agree, yeah...he does look tremendous, point taken. The legs on MP-05 are thin...but again...take the professional standpoint of engineering. I take the form of a real shaped and proportioned Waltzer P38. That´s amazing...for real.

And same for MP-01. I don´t take the die cast unnecessary. I love the weight of Prime and I wanted to get him BECAUSE of his size and the die cast and he isn´t one tiny piece top heavy. MP-01 and 05 both hold their poses without being top heavy.

Point taken, MP-05 is a dangling piece of parts in mid transformation, yeah and that looked horrible, but still...all these parts, folding together in that way...dunno how Tak/Has wants to improve on that. The did on MP-10, compared to MP-01. But loved THAT transformation also.

All in all...I love those too and wished that Tak/Has would have hold the line in this scale, cause having these characters, this size and transformable is more then just nostalgia...its the next step to my childhood enthusiasm and also this hobby. Transformers in high end.

Period.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. MP05 was mediocre when released and looks even worse now.

All that engineering doesn't mean a thing as it was so badly put together that it could barely stand under it's own weight for more than a few minutes and felt so fragile that many people including myself never even tried doing the full transformation....I don't think my friend would have been too pleased if I'd damaged it.

Until Takara roll out the V2 the best fully transformable G1 Megatron is Hegemon, nothing comes close to that robot mode.

MP01 was a nice design but the unecessary diecast and ridiculous size made it very top heavy and the terrible QC on both Hasbro versions were enough to put me off any future Hasbro Masterpieces and the MP01 mold period.

When iGear came along, removed the diecast and made it a more manageable size I had my ideal version of MP01 and as I refuse to soil my shelves with MP10 it will remain on display with my other Masterpieces and 3rd party figures.

shrapnel,
Nice pics!

chockey88,
I have a finger mark in the paint on the roof of my Sideswipe which sucks but it's not noticeable in robot mode. When I get my second one to keep in car mode I'll hopefully get one with no issues.

Pineapple,
Good point!

There's a school of thought amongst some fans that Masterpieces should have complex transformations.

I strongly disagree.

G1 toys were pretty simple as they were meant to be fun for the target demographic ( kids ).

As the Masterpiece line heavily relies on older collectors having nostalgia for the toys of their youth there's no point making the transformations more complex than they need to be as it would lessen that feeling.

All the best Masterpieces incorporate many elements of the original G1 transformation schemes with just enough new bits to make the experience feel new whilst still invoking that feeling of nostalgia.

If anything it says much for the strength of the original transformations that they can still be worked into toys 30 years later and not seem out of place.

Silent Bob,
Congrats sir! Nice pics with the other Soundwaves!

True. Though there are those laws being put before the american congress that would completely outlaw the sale of "used" things without prior approval of the original manufacturer/seller.

and no, I'm sadly, not kidding.

Glad i don't live in the US then, which is something i do not say often.

Well said buddy, agree with everything you said. High end TF's should be heavy, huge and full of detail.
Everything since MP-05 has been a downgrade in terms of scale and that really sucks.
Everything has gotten smaller, but the price has gotten bigger...what the actual *****?

If I disliked official products as much as you say then I wouldn't have the following on pre-order,

MP15
MP16
MP17
MP18
MP19

Prior to that my purchases were,

MP11
MP12
MP13
MP14

I am also considering buying the Tiger Tracks version of the MP12 mold and MP20 as it's probably going to be Megatron V2.

The only 3rd party item I have bought in the last few months or so was Warbot Assaulter which I resold after a couple of weeks.

The only one I plan on buying this year is iGear Cogz.

Speaking of MP19 Corsair...did you order yours from Kapow??

Just had a look & they have him listed but Out of Stock so I can't pre-order him yet.

Neil

You're kidding me...they've sold their allocation already??? :thud::thud:

Crap!!!

Now I will have to try Robot Kingdom or someone else...dammit!! :gah::gah:

Neil

Looks that way. I shouldn't worry though, plenty of ebay sellers will get them at decent prices just as they have with Sideswipe and Red Alert.

Back