Alita: Battle Angel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some knowledge of the source material. They seem to be capturing the look of the manga in a ripped from the pages type look. Rodriguez is a capable film maker. I think him and Cameron can deliver a fantastic anime sci fi adaptation. Which is more then can be said of Ghost in the Shell. I will check this out.

Hope it flops as hard as Ghost in the Shell so they'll finally get it through their thick skulls to leave AKIRA the hell alone.

tenor.gif

1. Normies watch everything, even if they don't like it
2. Nothing about it looks like BR
3. No one cared for GITS anyway, it was talked about because ScarJo and whitewashing

No ill will towards this movie...I just never want any form of Hollywood AKIRA to ever see the light of day.

Mmmm... offtopic but...
I could never understand what's so great about Akira... to the point that people are afraid of a Hollywood adaptation.
Manga is cool but half-trashy. Anime is cool but too artisy for something so basic.

1. Normies watch everything, even if they don't like it
2. Nothing about it looks like BR
3. No one cared for GITS anyway, it was talked about because ScarJo and whitewashing

1 yet Valerian and bladerunner and ghost in the shell and gods of egypt and warcraft and sin city 2 were flops.... so CLEARLY normies dont
2 yes it does, you are just mad.
3 the only thing everyone is talking about is the creepy eyes, google it. people got creeped out

i dont have any ill will towards this and i dont hate the trailer,but i seriously doubt it will do any different than valerian or blade runner. at least in the us
china might totally save it

Mmmm... offtopic but...
I could never understand what's so great about Akira... to the point that people are afraid of a Hollywood adaptation.
Manga is cool but half-trashy. Anime is cool but not too artisy for something so basic.

It's supposed to be deep but just seemed like another Japanese cartoon to me. Like Ghost in the Shell, I've seen all it had to offer in other movies. :dunno

1 yet Valerian and bladerunner and ghost in the shell and gods of egypt and warcraft and sin city 2 were flops.... so CLEARLY normies dont
2 yes it does, you are just mad.
3 the only thing everyone is talking about is the creepy eyes, google it. people got creeped out
Valerian ------- unlikable leads, cgi fest, French stench.
BR2049 ------- arthouse with overblown budget, DOA.
GITS ---------- hot mess that wanted to be something it couldn't, thus no one was interested.
Gods of Egypt - I dunno why would you even bring this **** up.
Sin City 2 ----- didn't watch, don't know, don't care.
WarCraft ------ solid movie, great success in Asia.

Mad about what? BR? What the hell... :lol

People got creeped out because people are dumb.
It's 100% the same as 3D cartoons they watch every year.
And it's the only "bad" thing that people talk about.
No one will care when it's released.

Valerian ------- unlikable leads, cgi fest, French stench.
BR2049 ------- arthouse with overblown budget, DOA.
GITS ---------- hot mess that wanted to be something it couldn't, thus no one was interested.
Gods of Egypt - I dunno why would you even bring this **** up.
Sin City 2 ----- didn't watch, don't know, don't care.
WarCraft ------ solid movie, great success in Asia.

Mad about what? BR? What the hell... :lol

People got creeped out because people are dumb.
It's 100% the same as 3D cartoons they watch every year.
And it's the only "bad" thing that people talk about.
No one will care when it's released.

Valerian ------- unlikable leads, cgi fest. can apply to alita
BR2049 ------- arthouse with overblown budget, \. alita budget of 200 million from auteur james cameron, can apply to alita
GITS ---------- hot mess that wanted to be something it couldn't, thus no one was interested. can apply to alita
Sin City 2 ----- didn't watch, don't know, don't care. director of sin city 2 has done nothing but flops with sin city 2 and machete. people wont care about him with alita
WarCraft ------ solid movie, great success in Asia. which will save alita

It's supposed to be deep but just seemed like another Japanese cartoon to me. Like Ghost in the Shell, I've seen all it had to offer in other movies. :dunno

i never got the hype either.

Mmmm... offtopic but...
Manga is cool but half-trashy. Anime is cool but not too artisy for something so basic.

You guys just like, don't GET IT man....it's like...wayyyy too cerebral and beyond your capabilities, you know?

Just stick to safe Hollywood garbage cause AKIRA is just too much for you, obviously.

For real though, there's a number of reasons it's held in such high regard. The production values have still never been matched in Japan for a hand drawn animated film. Plus there's the fact that it was really the first "true" anime movie imported to real theaters in America in 1990, and at the time, we'd just never seen anything remotely like it. I begged my dad to take me to the art theater to see it the one weekend it was showing. No one under 13 was allowed. I was 12 but he lied and got me in. It blew my mind.

It's my favorite of all time and even I'll admit that there's not a lot of plot or characterization; it's mostly just action. The cynical/nihilistic worldview may be off putting too. To a first time viewer, a lot of the visuals are unpleasant or even grotesque, but it's just so damn beautifully rendered. It's just a masterpiece. It showed the world what Japanaese cartoons were the same way Citizen Kane showed how movies could be done. I understand it's not for everybody, but it will always be my favorite animated film.

Back