ALIENS THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought the Sentry Guns were bad**s and one of the coolest things in the movie. As USCM hardware goes, a 1:6 scale Dropship or APC would still be colossal so the Sentry Guns was an easy decision.

Man it would be awesome if Hot Toys made a Sentry Gun kit, no doubt they'd do a fantastic job of accurately replicating them. Realitically though I doubt they'l bother so I decided to have a go myself. Hell, if I do finish this project and Hot Toys suddenly announces the guns for release, I'd still buy them :) As you said Mudshark, I think they'd be hugely popular with those who have already bought some of the 1st and 2nd wave Marines.

Hey thats cool PJAM, Chris is a great guy and a pleasure to do business with, plus his stuff is of really good quality. The idea of creating a resin kit is great but I'l be making mine from rudamentary materials like a block of wood, sheet styrene and some metal tubing. The gun will be able to rotate on the X axis but that about it as I am not experienced at scratchbuiling at all and my main objective is for it to look cool and not be too functional.

I have scoured the internet for plans of the guns but have turned up nothing. There arent even any schematics in the USCM Techinal Journal therefore I relied on screencaps and photos taken of a gun at a convention. My mockup isnt a 100% by a long shot but its as close as I care to get it.

Once I get going on the real deal I'l post some updates :) just need to get all the material together.

If someone came up with a sentry gun kit I'd be all over it like stink on a dog turd!:maul

thundergod said:
If someone came up with a sentry gun kit I'd be all over it like stink on a dog turd!:maul

Damn straight.... They should sell these as a set of two. Really would make a lot of fans happy, myself included. And judging by the great work they have done on all of their weapons... it would sell. :rock

ALIENS is one of the most influential films ever.

It brought the "hard science" genre to the forefront and cemented a female as a strong action lead (though Scott kicked it off with ALIEN,Cameron solidified Ripley as an action hero) as well as building some famous pop culture quotes and scenes and creating the foundation for the "ALIEN universe" as everyone likes to remember it (USCM,Weyland-Yutani,etc.).

Cheers to ALIENS,James Cameron and all the cast and crew! :rock

I can only hope and pray that Cameron does another sequel down the road!

Thanks "Mudshark" for the tip on the A-2 leather jacket for my Ripley! I'll go to monkeydepot.com soon and order one. I like that $7.95 price much better than having to get a McLeod figure. I want that McLeod figure, but don't want to have to give his jacket to Ripley. I'd rather leave it with him. Here's a few pictures of my "work in progess" custom Hudson head (the mold from Chris at EVA), and Hicks (the "Hero Heads" mold from Lonnie Hale). I'd appreciate any painting tips and suggestions from a master painter like "figuremasterles"! Sorry about the "zombie Hicks"! I don't have any blue paint yet for his eyes. Michael Biehn does have blue eyes doesn't he? How about Bill Paxton? I recall his eyes being brown, or maybe a dark green? What colors for their eyes do you suggest "figuremasterles" and "pjam"and anyone else out there?

MikesHudsonandDrakeHotToysFigures08.jpg

MikesHudsonandDrakeHotToysFigures11.jpg

MikesHudsonandDrakeHotToysFigures12.jpg

Please be easy guys! I'm no painting expert at all. Since first writing this post, I've already painted over Hicks's "five o' clock" shade, and given him a more clean-shaven look. I'll go in later and do some light shadowing on his beard area. I am trying my best to do a good job that I'll be proud displaying these figures side by side with my other marines. Thanks!

By the way, I loved reading the novel for ALIENS before I saw the movie. I read through it in a few days. I noticed I remember scenes in the novel that weren't in the movie such as: Newt and her family discovering the alien derelict ship, and Newt's Dad coming back with the facehugger on his head, the populated LV-426 processor station before the aliens attacked, and the bad*ss sentry guns! I loved those too! I was very disappointed they weren't in the movie when I saw it. But I'm thrilled that they're back in the special edition of ALIENS, along with all of the other "cut" scenes. I have the awesome Alien Quadrilogy DVD box set. Every ALIENS fan should have it!

I would definitely buy a sentry gun kit if Hot Toys made one! Maybe they will. We'll see...

Last edited:
Hey, Mudshark, I just saw on www.monkeydepot.com that they still have some of those A-2 leather jackets in stock. Now I just gotta wait until the 22nd when I get paid again at work to get one! I hope they still have them by then. Here's the link to the jacket for anyone else out there looking for it for their custom Ripley!

https://www.monkeydepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11352

I'm a collector and customizer of 1/6 figures....but a broke one at that most of the time! I just spent about $145.00 on Hudson and Drake on eBay and got them in today, and just sent off payment of about $140.00 for Vasquez from board member "Cocoboloboy" from an eBay auction I won from him this week. :eek: :lol

MikesHudsonandDrakeHotToysFigures03.jpg

MikesHudsonandDrakeHotToysFigures05.jpg

MikesHudsonandDrakeHotToysFigures06.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone thought of using the HT Hudson head for a custom Hicks?

I know the HT head on Hudson really looks more like Hicks, than it does Hudson. Has anyone thought of using it for their own custom Hicks? I guess it makes a good...maybe...fourth place candidate for Hicks's head behind the "Stoner" head, the "Hero Head" (the one I have), and the other one I've seen used by some board members but I can't remember the name of it. Sorry. I think if you lightened the hair color, and repainted the eyes blue like Hicks's eyes, it would work out pretty decently. What do you think guys?

I just thought about this after getting my Hudson in today and looking closely at the head.

Re: Anyone thought of using the HT Hudson head for a custom Hicks?

JediMike71 said:
I know the HT head on Hudson really looks more like Hicks, than it does Hudson. Has anyone thought of using it for their own custom Hicks? I guess it makes a good...maybe...fourth place candidate for Hicks's head behind the "Stoner" head, the "Hero Head" (the one I have), and the other one I've seen used by some board members but I can't remember the name of it. Sorry. I think if you lightened the hair color, and repainted the eyes blue like Hicks's eyes, it would work out pretty decently. What do you think guys?

I just thought about this after getting my Hudson in today and looking closely at the head.

Actually, if you dig deep in the Aliens super thread, several people have used the Hudson head for Hicks after replacing Hudson with some of the vardious heads for him like the Chronos and others.

I'm sorry , but am I the only one that can't see any Hicks resemblance in either the H.T Hudson or the "Stoner" sculpts? ( The heads are coming along great , by the way Jedimike . Ever thought of trying pastel chalks ? They are easy to use ,with a little practice and they are easy to remove ,if you aren't happy with your results!)

pjam said:
I've asked Chris ( EVA) if he's gonna make some Remote Sentry resin kits. I'll let you know what he says...

Thanks, p! That would be great if Chris could furnish some resin kits of it. I have some of the other weapon kits EVA sells and the castings are top notch. If anybody can make 'em it would be EVA. Hope you get some good news soon. :cool:

Re: Anyone thought of using the HT Hudson head for a custom Hicks?

JediMike71 said:

I love the Hudson head. I repainted it for Hicks, and I also have a Stoner coming. Will pick the one that looks better.

259386017.jpg

thundergod said:
I'm sorry , but am I the only one that can't see any Hicks resemblance in either the H.T Hudson or the "Stoner" sculpts? ( The heads are coming along great , by the way Jedimike . Ever thought of trying pastel chalks ? They are easy to use ,with a little practice and they are easy to remove ,if you aren't happy with your results!)

Uh... I hate to be the one to tell ya this, but I'm afraid you very well may be the only one! :rolleyes: In all fairness, though, the resemblance becomes most apparent in the repainting of either of those heads. And they really do look more like Hicks than anything else out there, as far as I've seen up till now, anyway. :monkey3

Btw, your suggestion of using pastels for the 5 o'clock shadow, grit and grime, etc. is an excellent one. It's much easier to get it "just right" than it is to paint it that way, unless you've got tons of experience and/or patience, that is. And as you said, you can always wipe it off and start over if you don't like it! :D

If I may borrow a quote from the thread of the Figuremaster himself, this may be of interest regarding the Hicks head sculpt question...

figuremasterles said:
As for the attention to the Hicks debate. That is interesting indeed. Mudshark, Use the Stoner. I like the Hudson head just fine, but if I had all three, I'd be making a 1984 Reese from the original Hicks head (That's exactly what I did!), a Hicks from the Stoner, and keep the Hudson in reserve. Use him if need be, as you can, I have three in progress right now, so I don't dislike the head at all, but if you have a usable Stoner!?!?!?!? Use it for Hicks! I used a camo faced one too! Makes no difference what the paint is, use him!
And, if nothing else, replace the Stoner, on the figure in question, with the Hudson head. Why not!

That's my two cents.

:D

The Hudson head is perfect for Hicks. And a Figuremaster repaint brings Michael Biehn to life.

hicks6.jpg

hicks7.jpg

Mudshark said:
Thanks, p! That would be great if Chris could furnish some resin kits of it. I have some of the other weapon kits EVA sells and the castings are top notch. If anybody can make 'em it would be EVA. Hope you get some good news soon. :cool:

From Chris @ EVA:

That would be a neat item. Always wanted to but never got the dimensions down pat. I know a fellow in Australia that has a great start on one (1/6) but it's still a WIP. Does not look difficult. Maybe Hot Toys before too long?

VBR,
Chris

Thanks "thundergod" for your painting tips. I'll try to get some pastel chalks soon. I have a Hobby Lobby nearby. Also thank you for your kind words about my custom Hudson and Hicks heads. I appreciate it! As for the Hicks head, I think I am going to put the "Hero Head" Hicks I got from Lonnie Hale on my Hicks (when I finally get a HT Hicks someday!). Yeah, the Stoner head looks great to me, and "dekadentdave", your repainted Hudson HT for Hicks looks incredible! Les's work is something to behold. But, I'm just going with the Hicks head I've been working on for about two weeks...off and on. I may use the Hudson HT head for another custom marine down the road, like maybe Weirzbowski (remember him?), I dunno. I think my Hudson head is almost there. I will use thundergod's suggestion and get some pastel chalks and do some shading and highlighting with them. I'll even go back and do that on my completed custom heads for Ripley and Sgt. Apone. I have painted over the goatee on the HT Apone head and I'll use that head for my custom Frost figure.

So should I paint Hicks's eyes blue? I will probably refer to the DVD of the movie sometime today and see if I can see his eye color and Hudson's eye color. Were Hudson's eyes brown or green? I'm repainting my Drake head now too, and he has blue eyes too doesn't he? I just wanna be sure guys that I get it right. Thanks. :D

I love Chris's stuff from EVA Models too! I'm getting some nice little extras for my customs from him soon like Hudson's "winged skull" bolo tie, some more of those great Gerber knives, and a belt tool, along with a sheet of his awesome fabric USCM patches. Keep up the great work Chris as always. VBR (Very Best Regards) my friend!

Last edited:
Les painted my Hicks' eyes kind of a greenish blue. It's pretty dead-on. Too bad my camera can't take really sharp close-ups to see the detail. Hope to fix that when I get more funds again.

JediMike71 said:
MikesHudsonandDrakeHotToysFigures08.jpg

MikesHudsonandDrakeHotToysFigures11.jpg

MikesHudsonandDrakeHotToysFigures12.jpg

Please be easy guys! I'm no painting expert at all. Since first writing this post, I've already painted over Hicks's "five o' clock" shade, and given him a more clean-shaven look. I'll go in later and do some light shadowing on his beard area. I am trying my best to do a good job that I'll be proud displaying these figures side by side with my other marines. Thanks!
QUOTE]

Nice job there Jedi!! Looking awesome so far. I agree though that some suttle shading would really bring it to life. How did you prep the HS (wash clean and prime?) and what paints did you use? I really need to take the plunge with my own HS and get cracking lol.

Wow, Les did a fantastic job on that Hudson head to make a really good likeness of Hicks (man Im getting confused now haha) The Hudson head really does make a fantastic Hicks when painted properly and If I was ever lucky enough to own a Hicks figure, that is the head Id use for sure.

For the 5 o'clock shadow just water down your paint really good, like coffee, and do a wash on his face and use your fingers to rub it in so it mixes with the skin tone.

And you don't really need the Hicks figure at all. Just get a Hudson and get the chest padlock from EVA and a shotgun and sheath. I'm lucky I have a Hicks but it baffles me to see people paying $300 + for this figure especially when he looks better with the repainted Hudson head. It's not that difficult to customize a Hicks.

Thanks dekadentdave. Yeah, I've talked to Chris at EVA about his Hicks stuff. I have a feeling that I"ll end up making my own Hicks from HT Hudson stuff out now. Chris said it would be a great idea if HT reissued Hicks. But who knows when and if, they ever will do that! I do agree that your idea of making a custom Hicks from an existing HT Hudson is a much more economical one. I'm thinking about doing that. Chris told me that his shotgun and sheath are a one piece mold so they can't be separated. I guess I can find a 1/6 scale shotgun like Hicks had somewhere on eBay. I was planning on getting the BDUs, helmet and armor from a Hudson, and using it for Hicks. What about the boots? Aren't Hudson's and Hicks's boots different in color and style? Let me know what boots you used for Hicks if you've made a custom of him.

Thanks for the "five o' clock" shadow painting tip. I'm going to get some paints today, and I'll look for that "coffee" color in acrylic paints. I gotta get some blue for Hicks and Drake for their eyes. Did you paint your Hicks's eyes blue? I like thundergod's idea of using pastel chalks for the shadowing and highlighting on custom heads since you can just rub it off if you don't like it.

Yeah, I agree with you too when I see buyers on eBay paying $300.00 or more for a Hot Toys Hicks. Sure I want the cool HT box for him too, but I can make a custom Hicks from a HT Hudson for much less than $300.00. The most I've put my maximum bid on a Hicks on eBay was about $150.00. That is where I stop.

Back