Alien Warrior legendary scale bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20150423_064807_zps4ozrcx5o.jpg

Damn :/

.'. /_\ RP /_\ .'.

Before repainting them, how well does anyone think Apoxie/Magic Sculpt would take to the tendons, for smoothing over the ends that look so obviously tacked on?

Before repainting them, how well does anyone think Apoxie/Magic Sculpt would take to the tendons, for smoothing over the ends that look so obviously tacked on?

I couldn't help you sorry, I don't know what was used to do mine, but I would think any professional air drying modelling putty would be good. To be honest I would be more concerned with the skill you need to blend it. If you looked at mine you would never know they were clip on.

I couldn't help you sorry, I don't know what was used to do mine, but I would think any professional air drying modelling putty would be good. To be honest I would be more concerned with the skill you need to blend it. If you looked at mine you would never know they were clip on.

I could always rip them off and go the condom route. :idea

So, I am finally getting around to painting my Warrior's teeth. Now that I've been practicing with using silly putty to mask, I am down to one of two methods:

1. Paint base of Testors glossy black. Finish with Testors chrome-silver and possibly a light black stain in the gaps.
-or-
2. Paint base of Testors glossy black. Finish with light spray paint application of Spaz Stick mirroring chrome, with a light buff after.

Any thoughts from those who have painted theirs?

Never used testors metallics myself. But I would suggest not adding the black, or at least use a removable oil or something so you can remove it if need be. I tried it and it didn't look right, it looks much nicer with a nice clean chrome finish imo.

Never used testors metallics myself. But I would suggest not adding the black, or at least use a removable oil or something so you can remove it if need be. I tried it and it didn't look right, it looks much nicer with a nice clean chrome finish imo.

This is the part over which I've struggled the most. So many how-to videos/articles/threads say that chrome shows up best on top of a glossy black. But we're not painting a primed or raw pieces. We're painting over a finished surface.

Personally, I wish I could just find someone with a good airbrush and some of that Spaz Stix. Looks really good with a slight buff even on a white plastic spoon.

...or were you talking about the stain for the gaps?

Sorry, I've just confused you. I meant the black weathering between the grooves didn't do it for me. You will need a base coat most likely. I use alclad myself, it needs a gloss black base to work best, although white works also. Haven't used Testors so I couldn't say what to use. AK interactive have just released a new line of xtreme metal colours, including polished chrome, they look quite nice, dry quickly and can even be used without a base coat although I wouldn't recommend it. You'll need to clean up the blobby factory applied paint for best results whatever you use I'm sure.

Just watched a video for the AK chrome. Looks pretty good. Ultimately, however, all of the chrome paints looks good when airbrushed. Black gloss base + thin layers of chrome + polish = holy wowsa. I'm currently limited to using a brush. I just did an experiment on some plastic teeth:

teeth.jpg

That would probably look fine if you sand the teeth smooth first.

With the practice teeth, I'd probably have to use an industrial sander. :lol They're 3d printed and rough as heck.

For the teeth on the bust, however, what would anyone recommend to sand? Would 320-grit or finer sanding sponges be ok?

Work down through a few gradients, don't use anything too course, you just want to remove the flaws, not destroy the teeth. I've never painted metallics by brush so can't really advise you there I'm afraid. It will be worth the effort though...

ZIhEUVW.jpg

HGPZSc8.jpg

5zy2msF.jpg

Back