Alien "Big Chap" Maquette - Official thread (continued)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( I'm actually considering selling mine....but I'm not sure if I should part with it....
If I do I'll be incomplete in my giger alien collection...as it stands I don't have the 1/5 smaller statue (I missed out),
nor the bust (the silver teeth instead of chrome disappointed me), so that makes it easier to let go, but it's like a nice little brother to my cinemaquette, if I ever had the chance to display it, but it's never stayed out of the box longer than to check for any defects.....

I too am considering selling my big chap. Unfortunately my car has seen its last day and I'm having to scrape funds to buy a new one! If I was to be selling this what is it likely to fetch on auction? surely not 1500/2000 like I've seen mentioned!

I too am considering selling my big chap. Unfortunately my car has seen its last day and I'm having to scrape funds to buy a new one! If I was to be selling this what is it likely to fetch on auction? surely not 1500/2000 like I've seen mentioned!

Bit difficult to tell tbh. There haven't been any sold on ebay as an auction recently, two were sold best offer price (originally $2,000) and 3 of them (2 by the same person) sold for stupid amounts (3.25k and 4k) but they are pretty sketchy (no feedback buyers etc, the auction one buyer isn't even registered anymore :p)

I think 2k is a bit rich, especially as there are two people on the forums currently trying to sell at ~1700 or so. I guess it depends on how long you want to wait on selling it. One of them started at 1850 and I think is 1750 now? And it's been around for a good little while. My opinion is biased though as I'm interested in getting one :p

haha! Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to think about it. Need the money but don't want to part with this great statue! I'd hate to sell it now and then in 5-10 years have it go up even more in price and not be able to acquire it again if I wanted to.

I doubt it will go up much TBH, if anything it will go down within that time period as more Big chap statues might appear. The super high prices on this must be fakes, I can't speak for the states but over here I've seen a few fail to sell for three digits. They do rarely come up for sale though over here. I will pick one up soon, something always gets in the way.

haha! Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to think about it. Need the money but don't want to part with this great statue! I'd hate to sell it now and then in 5-10 years have it go up even more in price and not be able to acquire it again if I wanted to.

If you are worried about that then don't sell, it's always good to assume any statue may eventually go up. Especially in 5-10 years. It may go down but you should never count on being able to get it 5 years later for the same price :p

I doubt it will go up much TBH, if anything it will go down within that time period as more Big chap statues might appear. The super high prices on this must be fakes, I can't speak for the states but over here I've seen a few fail to sell for three digits. They do rarely come up for sale though over here. I will pick one up soon, something always gets in the way.

The high 3-4k ones definitely are, hell the users who purchased it aren't even registered anymore :p The best offer ones I think they were real.

Mines got best offer ;)
I'm pretty flexible but I think people are trigger shy as it is...:0

It'll be an easier sell when 20th century fox starts marketing the new alien film

I think two grand or maybe something a little higher than that is a good asking price given the size, detail, paint app, and scarcity of Big Chap in quarter scale. Yeah, I know the Cinemaquette Alien is out there, but can you imagine the AM price of this if that one wasn't out there to balance it out a little?

If you take away the base to Sideshow's, it's like 27"....all Alien. The thing is gigantic, and he's not even standing straight up. He's slightly bent at the waist and his head is tilted downward and in.

I think the price will slowly rise over time to Predator status, because I just don't see Sideshow ever giving up the license. Like Predator, Alien is too valuable to them. Yeah, they can make a new Big Chap 1/4, but I really don't think they'd be able to top themselves from this one and this'll just keep rising in price until it bottoms out like the P1 Maquette.

I'm sure other companies can make 1/4 scale Alien statues, but it'd have to be similar to what Chronicle is doing and they'll have to be awarded a new Alien movie license and then be forced to tack on a giant movie nameplate on their piece. It's obvious that Sideshow is camping the first four movies.

The only other company I can see making a 1/4 scale Big Chap is Hot Toys...mainly because Sideshow is their biggest distributor. Quite possibly Prime 1 too.

Big chap maquette is so awesome. I'm still hoping I can find a wolf LSF to go with him. The pose and evil look of this thing demands people to notice.

I think two grand or maybe something a little higher than that is a good asking price given the size, detail, paint app, and scarcity of Big Chap in quarter scale. Yeah, I know the Cinemaquette Alien is out there, but can you imagine the AM price of this if that one wasn't out there to balance it out a little?

If you take away the base to Sideshow's, it's like 27"....all Alien. The thing is gigantic, and he's not even standing straight up. He's slightly bent at the waist and his head is tilted downward and in.

I think the price will slowly rise over time to Predator status, because I just don't see Sideshow ever giving up the license. Like Predator, Alien is too valuable to them. Yeah, they can make a new Big Chap 1/4, but I really don't think they'd be able to top themselves from this one and this'll just keep rising in price until it bottoms out like the P1 Maquette.

I'm sure other companies can make 1/4 scale Alien statues, but it'd have to be similar to what Chronicle is doing and they'll have to be awarded a new Alien movie license and then be forced to tack on a giant movie nameplate on their piece. It's obvious that Sideshow is camping the first four movies.

The only other company I can see making a 1/4 scale Big Chap is Hot Toys...mainly because Sideshow is their biggest distributor. Quite possibly Prime 1 too.

Good point...and vise versa I think...

(Ok mods, I'm not selling my maquette here since the auction ended...just reporting on its apparent current value....)

Bayers are still offering in excess of 2k, but none can buy up front ...
so the Money is willing but the Buying is weak!

I do wonder what the value of the cm would be if this weren't around.

Sorry, no selling on the board without being a Premium Member or outside of the marketplace. Board rules.

Ok, no problem....

just out of curiosity, is it ok to say if we are get grid of this or that for any reason, or that we do certain types of customizations...even if we aren't selling specifically here ?
Just curious...because any mention of a customization, or item might catch the attention of a fellow board member who is looking for something.

Not being a smart A....just want to know where the line is drawn so I don't cross them.

I've been a longtime member, though not a paying premium member, mainly cuz I don't need a bigger banner etc and don't really need much more than the enjoyment of reading the boards, but like all collectors at some point I sell my own items on eBay and share info like anyone else, even the values of items and I usually site my sources of info especially when I know things firsthand....I just don't want to break any rules here....

(Or is it only ok to mention after you sold something somewhere , or that you used to do customizations....if your not a premium member.)

Thanks in advance!

You can let members know about live auctions here...

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/forum18/

Thanks....but what about just in the context of talking about the values and our own experiences with the items etc, is it overstepping bounds to mention if we are selling or making something that other folks might potentially want to buy or order ( like if it's a custom case etc)?

Sometimes I'll talk about something that involves the fact that I have sold or are selling something, but I'm not necessarily selling it here...cuz ironically, sometimes the folks who pay most are the ones who don't undulge in this stuff the way we collectors do....(but once in a while if a fellow collector is looking for something I'd rather s/he gets it if I could help.)

No worries--

It's not a SF auction, it's a place to show your eBay listings.

Mentioning you want to sell **** for ****$ could be seen as avoiding the commerce rules.
Even Premium Members who pay for the privilege to sell on here need to keep it out of the item threads and in the dedicated commerce section.

Back