Statue Alien: Big Chap Legendary Scale Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just opened mine up and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! :love:love:love

It's a stunning piece. I scanned over it quickly when first opened and saw that the dome was okay, then I checked the tendons and they were fine too. There MAY be a small piece missing halfway through the upper tendon to the top of the mouth, but it's not really noticeable unless you're inspecting up close or know it's supposed to connect further -- which I don't, so it may be all good. It's definitely not a worry.

I quickly scanned the dome around the connecting area and some parts look like it may not be snapped down 100%, like the pictures shown earlier, but that may just be how it is. I didn't give it a thorough lookover on that front, but I mean, it's holding together, and it's not something that's noticeable at all from anywhere but bending down and looking under the rim -- which isn't how most will view it :lol Again, that was just a quick check, and I only noticed it because when I was brushing off the Styrofoam fluff a piece wedged in and I had to brush it out. So I'd just brush away from that when you guys are doing it, over alongside it.

The dome looks phenomenal. It's translucent enough that you can see the skull and most of the detail work under it perfectly -- and yet it's cloudy enough (I know there's a better word for it than cloudy) so that from far away it looks like the pure dome. That's fantastic, because I never was a big fan of those who make Big Chap with a completely clear dome where you can see a pitch white human skull underneath it.

There may be a minor scuff under the dome on one side (the side I'm not displaying him on) but you have to walk up really close and kinda look for it to notice it. The regular eye wouldn't notice it and even a collector's eye wouldn't notice it unless they went deep in and inspecting. And while it's great to do a thorough check of these pieces, I think many go by the rule that if it looks good from a few feet away, that's really all that matters. Maybe I'm wrong? :lol From a few feet away, this piece is stunning!

Now the size. The size is SO GOOD! It's bigger than the Warrior, and I know mentioned above that they can't be displayed together, but that's not true. Big Chap is bigger than a Warrior, and it looks it here! They look great side by side, even though I'm not sure that'll be my final placement (as I'm fixing an area to place things.) It's such a great size though! That really makes the price point more reasonable, as it's a hefty piece that looks it!

So most of this was going over it pretty quickly, but also well enough that any huge errors likely would've been noticeable (I hope :lol) and I couldn't be happier. This is definitely a grail piece for me, as I've wanted some Alien LSBs for longer than I've been collecting (I knew about the 1:1 before I was able to get into things, and said, "Man it'd be great to get one of those some day!") So I'm thrilled with these.

I still wish they'd give us less heart attacks and stress by upping the QC in their factories, but after a few blemishes on my Warrior, I'm thrilled that Big Chap came more or less as great as I could've hoped for.

:yess:

Awesome! Glad to hear you got a good one--hope I'm as lucky!

Just opened mine up and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! :love:love:love

It's a stunning piece. I scanned over it quickly when first opened and saw that the dome was okay, then I checked the tendons and they were fine too. There MAY be a small piece missing halfway through the upper tendon to the top of the mouth, but it's not really noticeable unless you're inspecting up close or know it's supposed to connect further -- which I don't, so it may be all good. It's definitely not a worry.

I quickly scanned the dome around the connecting area and some parts look like it may not be snapped down 100%, like the pictures shown earlier, but that may just be how it is. I didn't give it a thorough lookover on that front, but I mean, it's holding together, and it's not something that's noticeable at all from anywhere but bending down and looking under the rim -- which isn't how most will view it :lol Again, that was just a quick check, and I only noticed it because when I was brushing off the Styrofoam fluff a piece wedged in and I had to brush it out. So I'd just brush away from that when you guys are doing it, over alongside it.

The dome looks phenomenal. It's translucent enough that you can see the skull and most of the detail work under it perfectly -- and yet it's cloudy enough (I know there's a better word for it than cloudy) so that from far away it looks like the pure dome. That's fantastic, because I never was a big fan of those who make Big Chap with a completely clear dome where you can see a pitch white human skull underneath it.

There may be a minor scuff under the dome on one side (the side I'm not displaying him on) but you have to walk up really close and kinda look for it to notice it. The regular eye wouldn't notice it and even a collector's eye wouldn't notice it unless they went deep in and inspecting. And while it's great to do a thorough check of these pieces, I think many go by the rule that if it looks good from a few feet away, that's really all that matters. Maybe I'm wrong? :lol From a few feet away, this piece is stunning!

Now the size. The size is SO GOOD! It's bigger than the Warrior, and I know mentioned above that they can't be displayed together, but that's not true. Big Chap is bigger than a Warrior, and it looks it here! They look great side by side, even though I'm not sure that'll be my final placement (as I'm fixing an area to place things.) It's such a great size though! That really makes the price point more reasonable, as it's a hefty piece that looks it!

So most of this was going over it pretty quickly, but also well enough that any huge errors likely would've been noticeable (I hope :lol) and I couldn't be happier. This is definitely a grail piece for me, as I've wanted some Alien LSBs for longer than I've been collecting (I knew about the 1:1 before I was able to get into things, and said, "Man it'd be great to get one of those some day!") So I'm thrilled with these.

I still wish they'd give us less heart attacks and stress by upping the QC in their factories, but after a few blemishes on my Warrior, I'm thrilled that Big Chap came more or less as great as I could've hoped for.

:yess:

Congrats man! Glad to hear you are happy with it. Even if there are little flaws here and there, if you don't notice them on display and aren't so OCD that you can't help but think about them all the time, which if you can't see them is silly, then being happy looking at it is all that matters!

That is true. Not only are you dealing with qc SS end, you then have the wonderful people of Parcelforce, Fed Ex ... "handling" your parcel. Parcelforce smashed one of my recent statues up and even better is that they will never pay out for damage, even with insurance!

I may try and grab one of these from evil bay later down the line. Really loving that dome.

The day Parcel force get their grubby mits on SS stuff is the day I stop collecting.... nothing but negative experience with them! Not to mention the way they hold your item to ransom until the duty is paid etc.

I'm glad SS use Fed Ex!

Two crappy pics of my expo...If tomorrow cames sunny then I will take some good photos...

2_zps1300aa79.jpg

1_zps10d38409.jpg

That is true. Not only are you dealing with qc SS end, you then have the wonderful people of Parcelforce, Fed Ex ... "handling" your parcel. Parcelforce smashed one of my recent statues up and even better is that they will never pay out for damage, even with insurance!

Never had an issue with Fed-Ex, apart ftom their billing department, or Parcelforce.
I always use Parcelforce, first name terms :lol, but never pay for insurance knowing they don't cover fragile collectables.

Re: Alien Legendary Scale Bust

from the facebook group, is there any excuse for this??? is there any type of QC Sideshow is doing? this suppose to be fun hobby but Sideshow is making it frustrating & not worth the hustle.

EL4D2wN.jpg

7ecqspY.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just opened mine and I can now breath a little easier. It seems like it's in perfect condition. Beautiful piece !!! I will post pics later when I come back. The dome is a dust magnet though, so if you can keep it behind glass, that would be a good thing.

Glad to see alot more are showing up with just minor issues. The piece does look beautiful. Especially displayed amongst the warrior and some preds.

Yea.
Just sad that people have to "hope" or "pray" they get "lucky" with a good piece.

Dont get me wrong. Sideshow can make some beautiful pieces. In the 10 so years i have been a customer i have more often than not been pleased. Its only as of recent this has been happening. Thats why im taking a step back. Contrary to popular belief i am not running away. Nor will that proverbial door hurt me on the way out. I just think from now on my addiction needs to be spoon fed instead of force fed. Ill wait for in hand pics before purchasing. But yes sideshow is capable of amazing pieces. And i have been around for their great times and good times. So what may seem flame posts. Is really quite the opposite. Its because i know what their capable of.

Uhhh after seeing all those flaws photos and QC issues,as much as this piece is amazing,I am not sure if I want him now.Maybe I should cancel mine,since my luck is crap anyway,who knows in what condition he will be.

Got mine today. Unboxing and thoughts:

To summarize its a nice bust. The teeth suck and the paint is a little flat but the sculpt and dome are fantastic. Some pictures:

ivMe7Nr.jpg

IeHRonO.jpg

l8FQ9Z4.jpg

It appears my tendons are intact, thankfully. I do have two problems. The first is a scratch under the dome. This is near the back and noticeable under normal light. To the right of the scratch are some air bubbles but as I say in the video above I don't mind that, it looks like there's fluid in there and I'm okay with that.

AEDM9er.jpg

Annoying but I can live with it. Its fairly hidden at the back. This is a much bigger problem:

2oSB09d.jpg

That left shoulder is a mess. Its cracked and looks hastily painted over. I'm not happy about this. This is a serious error and should have been caught by QC. I'm not sure what to do though. Its not visible from the front and if I can get a replacement I risk getting one with broken tendon or more issues with the dome and really, aside from this crack I'm pleased with my bust. I'll email Sideshow later and see what they say. A partial refund may be acceptable, I guess. I just wish this wasn't there because it does kind of spoil the whole bust but not so much that I'm going to send it back for a full refund.

I don't know. As others have said above there a serious QC issue here. That crack wasn't from shipping, it was put in the Styrofoam like that. Still, it a very nice bust, it worth owning and hopefully you guys have better luck than me with yours.

Awesome GB!! :yess:

Thanks man! :hi5:

Awesome! Glad to hear you got a good one--hope I'm as lucky!

I hope so too man! Keep us posted (literally :lol). I hope everyone that has them coming in gets a piece they're happy with! :hi5:

Congrats man! Glad to hear you are happy with it. Even if there are little flaws here and there, if you don't notice them on display and aren't so OCD that you can't help but think about them all the time, which if you can't see them is silly, then being happy looking at it is all that matters!

Thanks man! For sure. I'm OCD about marks that I can see every time I look at something, but if it's out of sight, it's out of mind for me. I think perfection will be hard to get on these (and usually any piece.) That's not to say we shouldn't expect the best; however, I didn't take a flashlight to my dome or anything to make sure it's flawless. It's good to check things out; but there are some pictures that are blown up 20x the size of the piece and of course you're going to see some flaws looking that close (sometimes with a flash) and so forth.

I'll very rarely look at it any closer than a few feet, and from there it's b-e-a-utiful! So even though there may be a couple of places where the dome doesn't fully snap into place with the skull, or there's a bit of a scuff on the underside of the dome on one side, it's minimal and not something I'd notice without actively looking for it each time less than a foot away from a bizarre angle. Like you said, it all comes down to what you're happy looking at!

:1-1:

Golden_Boy I feel pretty much the same. I'm halfway on the fence about returning mine despite the tendon issues. The others aren't noticeable from a few feet away. I kinda hate to loose a decently low EX (#54) as well. I replied to SS asking what the guarantee was of getting a replacement EX vs them just replacing it with a regular. If thats the case then I'm just gonna keep this and request a possible partial refund.

Hope it works out for you man! It'd be great to see this line continue with some more pieces...even though it's scary each time out! Predalien would be my most anticipated; but it'd be more likely they'd go Alien 3 and maybe even Resurrection beforehand. I wouldn't mind a Scar either, if they're just sticking with pure Xenomorphs. Guess we'll have to see how successful this line is overall...Star Wars Mythos is a line I thought would continue, and that one seemed to vanish. Though that license may have changed a bit after Disney took over.

Honestly yea that would go back if it was mine. I ended up cancelling mine since my Warrior converted (didnt expect it to), and that came out flawless, so I got cold feet last minute when I got the notice and changed my mind. Honestly it looks good but too many people are having issues. It should be 1 out of every 4-5 posters that have problems with the statue, not 4 for every 5. They really need to do better QC on these things. Also, whats the point of the cheap looking tendons instead of the prototype ones? I figured they did that because of issues during shipping and breaking easily but these cheap looking brown ones are still breaking, soooo, yea weird decision. The sculpt and paint look good, just too many LAZY factory workers screwing these things up.

Sideshow is turning out like every other big company.. Everything about bulk, profit instead of what got them there.. This is the product when you out-source to China to save some money, Now that they can afford it, why continue to out-source? GREED!

Back