Age of Reptiles: The Journey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small update:

According to my Dark Horse rep, the final issue of "The Journey" is scheduled for April, and the fully-compiled trade paperback is expected to be ready around June. This is the one I'll be getting for the store, so anyone planning to buy it from Dan's Dinosaurs has plenty of time to procrastinate. :D

The previous TPBs were around the $20 range (before they became more rare of course, as they now sell for $80 on Amazon), so that would be my estimate for now.

Age of Reptiles: The Journey
Issue #2 of 4 Review

*****SPOILERS INCLUDED BELOW*****

Firstly, my apologies in procrastinating in the posting of this review. I've finally found the time to do it justice.

I'll admit, I was skeptical that this issue could outdo the first in terms of grandeur, and whether or not the series would match the ferocity of the previous AoR publications. My doubting was proven unfounded. On both counts. The issue is not only every bit as breath-taking in terms of its artwork as #1, but the primal violence of the dinosaur characters in this issue is something the likes of which I have never seen in the comic medium.

Also, one small note. See "The Fossil Record" section at the conclusion of the issue for comments from yours truly ("Jeff S."). :D :rock

Most who read my postings know that I'm a strong advocate for depicting dinosaurs in a light which adequately lays bare the very real life and death struggles most assuredly intertwined with their daily existence. Ricardo Delgado found the perfect medium for that tale in his particular series. Since the beginning of issue #1, we've been following the mass exodus of herbivorous dinosaur fauna on their trek south, moving ever onward to warmer temperatures and safer grazing area. You'll recall issue #1 showcased the herd being confronted by a fierce T.rex mother who has found a way to sate the appetites of both she and her young in this traveling buffet, as it were. The stalwart Triceratops members of the herd managed to forestall the Tyrannosaur's bloodlust. For now. As we have come to see, the T.rex is following the herd with her two infants in tow, and they are waiting patiently to be availed of any opportunity...

As if a marauding T.rex with a pair of hungry mouths to feed in addition to her own wasn't enough, the herd encounters hardships in issue #2 which make the T.rex attack in the first issue seem playful and benevolent by comparison.

Many have probably seen the preview art that I posted some time ago of the drying pond situated in the middle of a narrow chasm, which the herbivore herd stumbles upon. All of these creatures have been trekking across arid land for days upon days, and haven't so much as seen a droplet of water. Finally, they have found it... though that nourishment, not surprisingly, comes at a price. The pond isn't filled with nearly as much water as it is crocodiles, crocodiles clinging desperately to borrowed time as their home continues to shrink around them. The herbivores are a welcome gift. Crocodiles are no strangers to patience, and that patience, it seems, has paid off in spades. No creature is immune. Ankylosaurs, pachycephalosaurids, and sauropod alike are all dragged into the mud to meet their ends. What I found the most striking here wasn't the seven crocodiles converging on a tumbling sauropod, rather it was Delgado's decision to show the reactions of infant dinosaurs from numerous species, forcibly exposed to this violence. It's a world that is difficult for us to contemplate save for the very worst of circumstances, where the young are stripped of their innocence by the cruelty of the world around them. A very real and touching statement conveyed with such subtlety.

On their way out of the chasm, the herbivores encounter uneven ground prior to their entrance onto the plain once again. Numerous creatures stumble, fall, and meet their ends due to happenstance, offering up meals for the T.rex family ever present in their wake.

The plains, however, offer the worst threat the group has yet to face, and for the life of me I can't imagine they'd be run through anything worse than this. In the distance we see the herbivore herd, and in the foreground a lone dromaeosaur, which turns its head and lets out a bark. That lone dromaeosaur was but a sentry, not spying for attackers but for potential prey. It signals its pack... a group of perhaps over a hundred individuals, all banding together for survival. It's the flip side of the coin for the situation in which we see the herbivores. The herbivores travel for safety in numbers, all driven to a common goal. Delgado poses the question to the viewer, what if a group of gregarious carnivores behaved similarly? All driven to a common goal, that goal to hunt, feed, and survive. Within instants the raptor pack descends stealthily and efficiently upon the herbivores, bringing down individuals of every species, young and old, large and small. They act as a group, coordinating their efforts to kill the most animals in the quickest possible manner so as to fill their gullets and not look for another meal in the foreseeable future. Sadly, this isn't an uncommon strategy for predators; numerous species will kill and eat to excess to the point of vomiting. Heck, when presented with an abundance of available prey, if the kill is relatively effortless, a lot of predators will simply continue to kill until they have exhausted their quarry. Again, this is when there is a lone predator or species of predator in the situation, a dominant individual(s) unchallenged in the territory, and the prey is both abundant and easy to obtain. This is the recipe for a feeding frenzy, and why situations like this are dangerous to any organisms unfortunate enough to stumble into them. In normal circumstances it would be common to claim one animal as a kill and feed prior to other individuals attempting to scavenge. In this situation, however, the dromaeosaurs are clearly the dominant carnivores in the area with nothing to fear. It's the bloodlust which has overrun the pack. So much available prey, the vast majority of which is weak and relatively defenseless to these well-nourished opportunists - I should note that the dromaeosaurs were depicted slumbering in and among the bones of a great number of dinosaurs prior to the attack. Their tactic to ambush those seeking refuge on the other side of the plain has been quite rewarding.

I don't believe words can begin to describe the savagery of this attack. It is quite literally a feeding frenzy. The hadrosaur infant being mobbed and shredded before the viewer's eyes was certainly shocking, but the following two pages are likely to have viewers both cheering and touched, when a bull Triceratops fights back against the raptors. He impales two of the diminutive carnivores on his horns, but under the weight of more and more slamming into his side and exsanguinating him, he eventually rolls over, allowing for a rather intimate perspective of the internal anatomy of a Triceratops. Wow. Even the fleet-footed ornithomimids, which seem for a moment to be sprinting away from the disaster unharmed, are run down and gutted.

Eventually, with a number of large kills and assuredly infinitely more small kills, the raptors concentrate on feeding It's a really fascinating take on raptor pack dynamics in a catastrophic situation like this. A very cool "What If?" on the part of Delgado. Due to the abundance of food after the attack, there is relatively little squabbling among the raptors. They feed and gorge (as mentioned earlier, even to the point of vomiting), and sleep collectively in a writhing, breathing mound of flesh on the desert floor, utilizing their collective warmth in the onset of night. The sentry is again perched separate from the others, residing atop a gruesome column - all that remains of a sauropod hind leg. There are several splash pages of the kill site. For my money, carnage has never been rendered with such beauty.

The raptors, however, are reminded that although this is their territory, they are not the dominant carnivores in the world. There's still another rung above them on the food chain. The raptor sentry is awakened by the arrival of the mother T.rex and her two infants at dusk. The mother stands between her children and the dromaeosaurs, audaciously plucking a large bone from among the corporeal rubble, and moving away for a safe place to slumber - again on an outcropping overlooking the herbivores, never allowing them to gain too much ground on her. An intriguing standoff which Delgado seemed almost obliged to make (readers like myself would have wanted to see this scene). It reminded me very much of the scene in Disney's "Dinosaur" when the Carnotaur pair disrupts the feeding of a Velociraptor trio. If one were to compare "The Journey" to "Dinosaur", there's simply no contest. The Disney film seems frightfully watered down when held against Delgado's vision. Also, a tease from the editor at the conclusion of the book, saying the herbivores have "a lot of dangerous ground (not to mention dangerous waters!) ahead." Those who follow Delgado's work know that he wanted desperately to see a scene realized in the Disney film in which the herbivores attempt to traverse a body of water and are attacked by mosasaurs. I'm sincerely hoping such a scene is precisely what Samantha was hinting at!

We are left with a scene of the herbivores at night, a sauropod infant awakens and cries out for its mother. The mother removes her neck from the protective ring and cranes it downward to rest peacefully alongside her unhappy child. The T.rex infants tear away at the bone their mother retrieved for them, and sleep alongside her under the moon's light. I personally like that Delgado, regardless of how much carnage he may depict, leaves us with a peaceful spectacle. There seems a bit of closure with each of these issues. Our tension from the violence is eased as we await peacefully, along with the herbivores, for them to greet the dawn and adventure the following day.

Next issue will hit stands on March 3rd! Going to be a busy day for me. I have two meetings, a doctor's appointment, and I took the afternoon off because issue "Age of Reptiles: The Journey" #3 comes out, as well as "SIEGE" #3 and "Nemesis" #1. Seemed only right to take the remainder of the day to appreciate these books. :D

Four issues. The herd has two more issues to reach safe territory.

According to the editor, she's going to talk to Delgado and see if we can get a full list of the specific species involved in the story.

any reactions on the latest issue? now my heart goes for the baby sauropod. since his mom died from last issue's raptor attack, he's been alone throughout the remainder of the journey. and now he's stuck on a floating hadrosaur carcass drifting to nowhere. then the next issue's cover shows him being attacked by marine reptiles. poor little thing...

I'm waiting on the big trade paperback, which won't be here until summer. :monkey2 At least I'll be able to carry them in the store, though.

So I've been a long time lurker of these boards bla bla huge fan of dinosaurs yadda yadda anywho..

What follows is a long review/discussion of AoR The Journey #4, the series as a whole, and Delgado in general:

Has anyone checked out the final issue of this series? It is simply overwhelming, and quite possibly the greatest single issue of a comic I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it appears to me that there was a huge drop off of interest in this book and that's a damn shame. I was able to pick up the first 2 issues in a local comic shop, had to request they order the third, and that small batch sat around, and then for this final issue it took them several months to get around to ordering 1 single issue.. and it was just for me.

Which is awful, because in a lot of ways this series exists soley for the final issue.

The Journey has been about wish fulfillment. Delgado worked on Disney's Dinosaur, and was one of the people pushing for a wordless film. It didn't happen. He also pushed for a number of sequences in the film, like the river crossing. It didn't happen. So here was an opportunity to present that story. To present that art.

I've read some comments by Delgado saying that he wasn't pleased with his initial Age of Reptiles series, that they were too shallow and just filled with dinosaurs fighting. It's also apparent reading the journey that Delgado has changed his style up quite a bit in the past decade. And honestly, I wasn't too sure I was liking it. There's been a lot going on in the panels of this series, much more than ever before, but his lines seem softer and rushed. Obviously it's rediculous to call these rushed, but you can definitely distinguish the lack of clarity in a lot of his images throughout the first 3 issues. There was a panel here and there that brought in the detail that filled ever page of Tribal Warfare, the first AoR series, but by and large it was missing. (I'm aware that saying detail is lacking in panel after panel filled with 100 dinosaurs is rediculous, but I don't think it's unreasonable to point out the detailing in each particular dinosaur is largely lacking- is the trade off worth it? Debatable)

And the most notable difference is in the inks and colors. None of his AoR series have an inker credited, so I'm not sure if it's Delgado or his (different) colorists that are responsible for the stark differences in the inking between the series. But his original AoR series featured art that was a lot bolder, and just stood out and caught the eye more. However you can tell from his initial sketches for it(found in the trades and a few of his sketchbooks) that the look he was always going for was much closer to the one that finally popped up in The Journey. Full of earthly browns and greens, muddied, and just not as crisp and comic booky as that earlier work.

It was more real. More expansive. Finally, he has a book full of artwork that he can be truly proud of.

And while it is an absolute marvel to look at, I still feel like he was somehow taking a step back. A lot of it lacks the personality, the flair, and the truly dynamic images that I first fell in love with. That's not to say that I don't love these first 3 issues of The Journey. I do. I REALLY do. But they still seemed just a little bit off.

Which brings me to the conclusion of this series. Issue #4. I couldn't help but think after reading it, that the first issue of this series was on the shelf way before this issue was even close to done. Maybe before it was even entirely planned out. Because this is an entirely different issue. Old Delgado and new Delgado have met, and maybe that wish becoming true made him realize it wasn't what he wanted all along or something, because this. ____. is. NUTS. Every single page, every panel is PACKED with the detail and dynamic movement that I've come to expect from AoR. This is epic. This is amazing. And yes, this is just a bunch of dinosaurs fighting. Half the issue- a full 12 pages- is dedicated to a single one on one dinosaur fight.

There aren't words.

Was he holding this back? Saving it all for the last issue? Was he just off his game, getting back into the groove of things? I don't know. I don't care. Maybe it was all planned. Maybe it just evolved this way. But this story started with hundreds of dinosaurs and basically ends with two, and yet it feels more huge and epic at the end than at the beginning.

Whatever the case, my doubts are gone.
Ricardo Delgado is back, and better than ever.

Lets just hope it doesn't take another 10 years for something like this.

And damn, I would kill for a maquette or 10 based on some of this stuff.

Nice to hear..my comic shop has been ordering issues 2-4 for me for awhile and they still don't have them yet. So it might be the trade before I get to see everything.. ;D

I read Delgado is now working on the cg dinosaur series for Discovery..Reign of the Dinosaurs..alongside his old friends Pete Von Sholly and David Krentz.

Yeah, I was going to say, this should make RotD more interesting. And if issue 4 is out, maybe I can finally stock the full trade paperback soon.

Oh yeah, it was awesome when I saw he was on the RotD team !

I haven't found any info yet on the trade paperback..so no clue when it will be released..might be Fall instead of Summer ?

Did you hear Gregory Paul has a new full color dinosaur art book available ? ..but it's like 70.00.. :cry:

$70? Holy macronarian, I need to start selling books in my store. :lol

Or maybe when economic conditions improve. Do you remember the title?

It's Gregory Paul's Dinosaur Coffee Table book. And the Deluxe version contains the originals side by side with the improved prints for another 40 or so extra dollars. It's pretty amazing.

Back