Age of Reptiles: The Journey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add the addendum that I'm referring to the current narrative, as opposed to Tribal Warfare, for instance, which was anachronistic in several more ways than the aforementioned sense... though it did add flavor to the story. :D This tale, from what I've been hearing, endeavors to adhere to creatures specifically from the places and time period of concern.

It certainly could be frost, though it seems to be fragmenting and breaking up in too large of chunks. Still, frost would make sense, and it would explain the Edmontosaur licking at it in the arid environment. Though it does again make you wonder that if there is that much moisture in the air to condense into frost, how long after the KT incident is this story taking place? Months? Several decades? We have proof that dinosaurs were around at least 500 years after KT, so it's plausible.

The story does revolve around these animals migrating farther south due to cold, so it seems most likely that it would be associated with the cooler temperatures, I think. :D

Pretty much my thinking... looks like that pile of dung the trike is sniffing also has a coating..prob covering scent information.

The chunks could be snot.. frozen moisture from their breath , spittle, and mucus forming a light covering that can shaken or blown off. Prob it's just cold at night as well...as the day starts the temp warms up causing the moisture to be easily shaken off ?

Pretty much my thinking... looks like that pile of dung the trike is sniffing also has a coating..prob covering scent information.

The chunks could be snot.. frozen moisture from their breath , spittle, and mucus forming a light covering that can shaken or blown off. Prob it's just cold at night as well...as the day starts the temp warms up causing the moisture to be easily shaken off ?

The chunks do make sense, as I think about it. If you've ever left a pliable substance outside and found it to retain frost in the morning, when you move the substance and break up the pieces they can form out in loose chunks that then break away easily. The one picture of the Struthiomimus shows it well because you can see several small white spots in addition to the large chunks on its dorsal surface. Same goes for the Edmontosaur licking its back. Lots of detail here, and you definitely get a sense of the much wider scope than the previous stories. The morning frost reinforces the whole premise that the changing temperature is the entire cause of this mass exodus to the south. The Dromaeosaurs "coaxing" the feeble Edmontosaur to its feet was a nice touch, as our first carnivores on the scene. :D

These details will surely add great re-readabily. I just noticed the little ankylosaur was in its own little world, staring at a flying insect. LoL.

Here is the cover preview for Age of Reptiles: The Journey #2, set to land on shelves January 6, 2010. :rock :rock :rock

15821.jpg

I think that's actually the entire point, that animals are dying of starvation and thirst at this point on a daily basis. Going so very long without food and drink, we see how the herbivores band together and travel en masse in search of sustenance, why wouldn't carnivores do the very same. It's quite literally a feeding frenzy. A large number of dromaeosaur packs following this herd, and when one large animal shows weakness they literally jump on the opportunity.

Yeah, but they totally ignored the hadrosaur that collapsed just a few meters away, in favor of a colossus that has enough strength to test the laws of physics by rising into a bipedal posture. That ain't right. lol

Not necessarily true. I've seen a Labrador Retriever that hadn't eaten nor had anything to drink for 4 days, barely able to stand let alone prop up its own head, lash out ferociously when we attempted to simply restrain it for an impending euthanasia. You'd be surprised the strength that dying animals can find , cognizant of their weakened and vulnerable state, when they see adversarial creatures which they believe are seeking to hurt them or deprive them of their lives.

Several of the herd members are bleating in alarm or staring in awestruck horror at the sauropod. However, all of the herd members are moving away from the scene of carnage. The fallen hadrosaur could well have been attempting to flee, stumbled, and simply did not have the strength to stand again. It's rare that the offspring of large herbivores venture far ahead of the parents, and in that picture the juvenile is moving backward, leading one to believe that the adult fell suddenly and unexpectedly. That seems more likely than it being sickly, causing the carnivores to avoid the fouled body. Though both are possibilities, I suppose.

Delgado was recently interviewed and said that this particular story will have "layers upon layers" of storytelling, all done with imagery and devoid of dialogue. There is such a readily apparent glut of fauna packed into each page, so very much detail packed in. "It looks very, very simple and straightforward but if you look close there's a lot going on underneath the surface.” He wants the reader to "fill in the blanks", as he puts it. He lays the groundwork for the storytelling, and we as the readers put the pieces together.

Each frame is very carefully rendered, and that hadrosaur is lying there prone because Delgado put it there, a side story in the background, building the scene around the central element of the attack. Will it remain untouched in the moments to come? Probably not, but for the moment the raptors are all so caught up in hitting that enormous buffet, that they aren't interested in looking at the rest the menu. :D The rest of the pack is cooperating to take on this large creature and render a bountiful meal, so for just one animal to break away and tackle a newly-fallen hadrosaur, even in a weakened state, is arguably just as dangerous if not more so. This scene reminds me of when a band of lions will cooperate to take down an adult elephant; not a frequent occurrence by any means, but in times of drought it's more common than one might suspect. A big animal in a weakened state can send appetites raging.

Also, I should point out that in the preview shot of the first issue's cover, that T.rex is choosing to take on a Triceratops subadult as opposed to any of the smaller and/or younger and definitely much easier kills. One thing you learn from studying models of carnivore behavior is that they pick very specific targets, and once they decide upon a target they remain committed to attaining that specific goal (prey item). That T.rex chose that Triceratops, and at least one dromaeosaur first chose to attack that sauropod. They have their reasons, some readily obvious to us and others not so much. It certainly makes for some cool art and storytelling. :rock

Still haven't read the other books, eh?

The Eisner-Award-winning series is entirely "silent". No dialogue whatsoever. Delgado wants the reader to put together the stories and imagine the sounds using his artwork. This tale is set to be much more sweeping and epic than its predecessors. It's not about the journey of the individual or even a small group in the rigors of daily existence here; it's about the most successful group of higher vertebrates to have ever walked the planet rising as one in an effort to survive a changing world.

If you go back and look at The Hunt, there are some frames after the climax of the book which are literally inundated with dinosaurs. Much like the Dinosauria pieces, you do find yourself going back to these same frames time and again to absorb all of the details. Whether it's a crocodile swimming between the legs of a drowned Diplodocus, or a camouflaged Ceratosaur lying sprawled upon a fallen tree, so very much detail jam-packed into these. While it was only the latter half of The Hunt which featured such shots, it's unavoidable in this story that you have such art on virtually every page, resulting in the "layers upon layers" of storytelling Delgado alluded to.

These books look amazing. At first I wasn't too impressed with the simple line art illustrations, until I learned about the storytelling style of Delgado. It's deep, layered, and interesting. Thanks Scar for introducing me to this series!

Since I'm not a comic book collector, I'd rather have them all as collected trades. I've looked at Amazon for the older trades, but they only have used copies left. Is there a place with new copies of Tribal Warfare and The Hunt, or are they hard to find these days?

Well, I haven't read them because I haven't ordered for the store just yet. Maybe if I could drum up a bit more interest, I'd go ahead with ordering the two completed books. Need to get a better idea of how well they'll sell, though.

Well, I haven't read them because I haven't ordered for the store just yet. Maybe if I could drum up a bit more interest, I'd go ahead with ordering the two completed books. Need to get a better idea of how well they'll sell, though.

I'd be down for both. I tried looking , but I couldn't find them anywhere.:confused:

I plan on getting the next two aswell.:D

Yeah, I guess I should get cracking on those, then. Comics are pretty much a new thing for me, so visiting Dark Horse's website can be a little... disorienting. Anyone know why Delgado's works seem so hard to come by?

Back