Age of Reptiles: The Journey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These books look amazing. At first I wasn't too impressed with the simple line art illustrations, until I learned about the storytelling style of Delgado. It's deep, layered, and interesting. Thanks Scar for introducing me to this series!

Since I'm not a comic book collector, I'd rather have them all as collected trades. I've looked at Amazon for the older trades, but they only have used copies left. Is there a place with new copies of Tribal Warfare and The Hunt, or are they hard to find these days?

I'd be down for both. I tried looking , but I couldn't find them anywhere.:confused:

I plan on getting the next two aswell.:D

I think you found your interested parties, Dan. ;)

Anytime, Amanaman! EBay is the place to check. Failing that, the marketplace on Amazon, or your local comic book retailer would probably be able to snag them.

Yeah, I guess I should get cracking on those, then. Comics are pretty much a new thing for me, so visiting Dark Horse's website can be a little... disorienting. Anyone know why Delgado's works seem so hard to come by?

Usually his series are limited runs. Delgado was one of the authors and illustrators in Dark Horse's "Mavericks" grouping, years ago. Essentially, these creators usually output only limited series. Delgado goes through Dark Horse for Age of Reptiles, and he did so with Hieroglyph (another series which I STRONGLY recommend), but for his sketchbooks, etc. he usually just sells them through Stuart NG Books. It's cheaper to publish them himself and release only a very, very small number if he's anticipating only a small number to sell to his devoted fans. Given the great reception of the first two books in the AoR mythos, as well as the success of the lithographs and calendar, obviously he would want to go through a Dark Horse rather than publish them himself as it's going to attract a wider audience, receive better publicity, and subsequently sell much better.

I see, thanks for clearing that up. I did notice some of these selling on Amazon, but a new copy apparently can go for a whopping $80.00. If I could get away with prices like that, I'd be thrilled. lol.

I did notice the Hieroglyph books on DH, as well. What are those about?

An scientist from our planet explores space for new and different life forms, stumbling upon a world which at first appears desolate but then is discovered to harbor a number of species, different cultures, and different religions which are at war with one another over the "Hieroglyph". What the Hieroglyph is and why it is so significant is something you have to read the series to found out. Just got Delgado's sketchbook for Hieroglyph a few months ago which clarifies many of the "unspoken" and ambiguous facets of the book. If you pick up Hieroglyph and find it enjoyable, I recommend grabbing a sketchbook from Stuart NG in turn.

Speaking of his lithographs, they're really hard to come by nowadays. No luck with ebay either. :(

I know. I thought I grabbed another 4 from Wizard for an extreeeeeeemely cheap $1.99 each. They refunded me shortly thereafter and took down the listings. Apparently they've been out of the lithos for quite some time and just never got around to removing the links from their website. A real shame, because those would have been great to find and at that price no one could argue.

Stuart NG is another retailer, right? I did ask Dark Horse about the lithographs, but they told me they were all sold out of 'em... limited quantities and so forth. I'm guessing they would fetch a bigger price these days?

Stuart NG has Delgado's Hieroglyph sketchbook up right now, as well as an unpublished storyboarding for a movie he pitched to Disney, "A History of the Future."

Those are the only two Delgado products they have in at them moment. No Age of Reptiles merchandise, I'm afraid. Stuart NG has an art gallery in California, but they also have their online store, through which they sell primarily sketchbooks done by various comic artists. Delgado has a sketchbook or two show up on there from time to time.

The lithos, as far as I know, aren't listed online right now. Occasionally on eBay, but I couldn't find any of them right now.

As to the Age of Reptiles comics for "Tribal Warfare" and "The Hunt", individual issues can be found easily enough, but the trades haven't been showing up lately.

That being said... check out this eBay auction if you're looking for the trades. So far they're going for an outstanding price.
https://cgi.ebay.com/Age-of-Reptiles-graphic-novels_W0QQitemZ190342358017QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5149e401#ht_500wt_1182

Hm, guess I better hop to it, then. Thanks.

If anyone here is interested in getting the trade paperbacks, feel free to PM me so I can get an idea of how many to order.

Age of Reptiles: The Journey
Issue #1 of 4 Review

*****SPOILERS INCLUDED BELOW*****

It feels so very good to be transported back to the Age of Reptiles once again! We fans of the AoR series have been waiting and hoping for years that Delgado would bless us with another book, and our prayers have been answered! The most epic in scale and easily accessible of the series, Delgado unfolds a superb tale which unites dinosaurs from all walks of life.

Going back in this thread, you will find the preview shots posted from the Dark Horse website, and initially there was a bit of confusion as to what the "odd substance" was which was covering the ground in the first few pages. It is indeed ice/frost covering the dinosaurs, and the color in the book reflects as much (more translucent and blue on the pages of the comic as opposed to the tan color in the preview). Also, as often happens, the first previewed pages are not the actual first pages in the book. The first several frames show amphibians frozen in ponds and streams, insects trapped in ice upon tree branches, and many dinosaurs and flying reptiles seeing their breath in the morning cold for perhaps the first time.

The massive herd of herbivores is rendered beautifully by Delgado. The sauropods link tails and necks upon each other, loosely forming a ring around their young; Triceratops act similarly with their horns facing outward; Ankylosaurs hunker down in a small group, etc. It's a very intriguing take on how these animals might have behaved when collected gregariously. Even while taking in the details of all of the massive and minute herbivores - their individual scars, the folds in their skin - the surrounding environment will also draw the eye of the reader. Seeing small lizards, snakes, and rodents scurry about dust mounds after food or in search of shelter served as nice reminders that there is a great measure of other life which will be impacted by the climate change aside from just the dinosaurs.

The herbivores travel together in a fashion quite similar to the great Serengeti migrations today. Their alliance for mutual protection via the "strength in numbers" philosophy, seems quite tenuous. There are interspecific and intraspecific quarrels throughout the story. Sauropods and Ankylosaurs bellow protests at one another; hadrosaurs circle in a mob to watch two of their own quarrel; Triceratops knock each other down embankments to reach better foraging ground; and dinosaurs of every species are tossed about and trampled within the herd as it trudges ever onward. The world is gritty and dangerous, as Delgado is quick to remind us with an unfortunate hadrosaur, deserted not only by the herd but its family, and subsequently devoured by a trio of dromaeosaurs which had been anxiously awaiting such an opportunity. This takes me to the story's carnivores.

The killing of the hadrosaur does not seem nearly as brutal as it does hauntingly peaceful. The gore is subdued and revealed at a distance as the hadrosaur lies down its head and is cut open by the starving raptors. The descriptive adjective I used there is intentional - these are starving animals. Our sympathies are not limited to only the herbivores. The most dramatic moment in the issue is when an infant Triceratops wanders away from the herd to eat a plump piece of fruit freshly fallen from a tree. As it sits to enjoy the succulent meal, a Tyrannosaurus rex literally dives from the forest in an effort to snatch the vulnerable infant. While in flight from the immense carnivore, the infant is saved by its altruistic mother who hurls herself between the T.rex and her child. When confronted not only by the enraged mother Triceratops, but by the other Triceratops herd members as well, the T.rex turns to retreat into the forest. Following this, we see the T.rex stalk to a cliffside where she is greeted by her own two infants, and it becomes apparent that her attempted depredation was executed to sate not only her own appetite, but that of her children. The T.rex family sits and observes the herd like a group of lions surveying gazelles from afar.

Whether carnivore or herbivore, every animal in this story is fighting for its life. The dinosaurs do not intentionally seek out battles for dominance or vengeance, but are compelled to act out of the most basic of instincts - the will to survive. Issue #2 can't come soon enough! :rock

Last edited:
Preview for issue #2 is up, and is certainly has my attention...

15821.jpg

aortj2p1.jpg

aortj2p2.jpg

aortj2p3.jpg

aortj2p4.jpg

It is pretty cool, but it's the preview on the previous page with the giant crocodilians in the drying pool that really has me salivating by the bucketful. :drool :drool :drool

Oh, I just noticed that one. I hope Delgado works on another film of some kind. These panels are like storyboards for the coolest movie ever made.

Oh, I just noticed that one. I hope Delgado works on another film of some kind. These panels are like storyboards for the coolest movie ever made.

They are quite spectacular, aren't they? Delgado is a storyboard artist so it's no surprise these have a lot of cinematic quality. And we're assured to see the T.rex family return, possibly in the third issue.

Preview for issue #2 is up, and is certainly has my attention...

15821.jpg

aortj2p1.jpg

aortj2p2.jpg

aortj2p3.jpg

aortj2p4.jpg

Just pulling this over onto this page since, as Dan pointed out, some may not have noticed it.

I might go ahead and order the first two AoR books for the store, since it looks like it could be another year before The Journey is completed and compiled. Should probably do it soon as well, as 2010 is looking to make things very busy for me.

I might go ahead and order the first two AoR books for the store, since it looks like it could be another year before The Journey is completed and compiled. Should probably do it soon as well, as 2010 is looking to make things very busy for me.

If you do get the first two books, i'll be down for one of each.:D

Back