Admiral Piett 12" figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn I'm so getting him, 80$ or not... Pity he won't come with admiral Ozzel's corpse XD

With proper lighting and paint, I think he'll look fine.

piett.jpg

Problem is who is gonna do the 'proper paint' ? if SS has shown anything in its previous releases, its that its downhill from this point anyway !

I cant see them making the production better than the preview, and the preview isnt great !

The completist in me will probably get him, but I dont want to be buying figures looking at what needs changing to make it right !

I can do that with Hasbro 12 inchers for 1/3 of the price

I have to agree with Kuzeh theres more Tbag in the preview than Piet !

and Im sure that a repaint will make him more Piet looking but FFS why do i have to start repainting $80 figures or paying an extra $50 (and waiting 12 months in a SSF customisers que) to make them look like who they are supposed to be ?

The one thing that had to be right with this figure (afterall with Praji theyve showed that the tailoring works) was the sculpt ! and not to start a flame or anything but you all know that had HT done the sculpt it would look like Piet not Tbag

piettbag.jpg

Last edited:
I cant see them making the production better than the preview, and the preview isnt great !

I can, they've had some figures come out with paint apps that help the pieces look more like the actors than the prototypes. I don't think the eyes quite capture Harrison Ford on the Indy Prototype by they did the job quite well on the production figure.

The only thing I did that really requires paint help is darken the eyes. Most of the time Piett's eyes show as black and creepy, SSC's proto having his natural color painted doesn't work out because paint won't work like human eyes with pupils expanding and contracting. In shadow, the pupils would be really dialated and the color shadowed so you almost can't tell, but a figure will never do that.

I think this portrait will be fine. Tilt the hat so the brim isn't right in front of his browline and darken the eyes, and light the head so the depth of the eyes show better and I think he's there.

I'm guessing $80-$90. Hope I'm wrong though... because at that kind of price not sure I'd be able to justify it.

I can, they've had some figures come out with paint apps that help the pieces look more like the actors than the prototypes. I don't think the eyes quite capture Harrison Ford on the Indy Prototype by they did the job quite well on the production figure.

The only thing I did that really requires paint help is darken the eyes. Most of the time Piett's eyes show as black and creepy, SSC's proto having his natural color painted doesn't work out because paint won't work like human eyes with pupils expanding and contracting. In shadow, the pupils would be really dialated and the color shadowed so you almost can't tell, but a figure will never do that.

I think this portrait will be fine. Tilt the hat so the brim isn't right in front of his browline and darken the eyes, and light the head so the depth of the eyes show better and I think he's there.

I agree with you MaulFan, the more I look at it, the more I like it. I think your advice will bring Piett right out - darken the eyes, maybe make the bags under his eyes a bit darker, and don't push the hat down so far. I'll be getting him regardless, though. I love Piett and wouldn't miss out on owning a 1/6 scale of his likeness.

With the economy crunch on all of us, it would be nice to see this guy reasonably priced like Jedi Luke at $50.

The fact they couldn't even straighten his collar or put his hat on properly for a photo that is meant to sell their product tells me that Sideshow employees just don't care...so why should we for the prices they charge?

If we ever see a 1/6 figure from Sideshow for under $70 again, I'll be impressed. Piett will be $70-$90

...I think its roulette. Sometimes you hit the right color, sometimes the odd or even, sometimes you hit odd or even AND the color. Sometimes you hit a group of 8. Sometimes you hit a 4 spread. I think figures like ANH Obi-Wan is hitting the number exact. Obi-Wan is the anomally, that will pay 30-1.

Never tell me the odds... ;)

80 bucks.....

If so, then a Pass on PPO. Will pick it up next year for around $40 shipped.

I'll wait for additional photos of the headsculpt. I think that the sculpt may be there but the lighting perhaps is not allowing that instant recognition.

The fact they couldn't even straighten his collar or put his hat on properly for a photo that is meant to sell their product tells me that Sideshow employees just don't care...so why should we for the prices they charge?

Poorly worked clothes is nothing new to SSC product images. Look at the AOTC Obi-Wan shots. Often outfits are not properly snugged to the body and lined up right to look their best.

One day people paying $80 for the figure and then selling for $50 will realize what a poor use of money that was and then one day SSC will realize that there are a lot of us waiting to buy the figure for $50 and thus they are alienating both sets.

One day.

One day people paying $80 for the figure and then selling for $50 will realize what a poor use of money that was and then one day SSC will realize that there are a lot of us waiting to buy the figure for $50 and thus they are alienating both sets.

One day.

When figure prices started breaking the $60-$70 mark, I pretty much dropped out of the genre. I did continue to pick up a very select few figures at the retail price but nowhere near the rate that I had before.

It wasn't that I couldn't afford them, but that there is a price-point that is hit in which I just would rather put the money in something else instead of a "figure". (and this goes for all manufacturers. I'm not singling out SS specifically.)

So I've pretty much resigned myself to be extremely patient and pick up those figures that I truly want, much later down the road. I miss out in participating in the "just arrived" and "image" threads but saving 1/2 price on a figure, I'll gladly do so. Here are just two recent examples:

-Exclusive ANH Leia: $27.00 on ebay
-ANH Han Solo: $28.00 (loose parts cobbled together to complete the figure.)

That's $56.00 bucks for "2" figures that would have cost full retail close to $100 (plus shipping).

With the economy the way it is, I'm afraid this strategy will continue for quite some time. I will say that I'm looking forward to picking up a Tatooine Luke in a few months... ;)

I'm with you. At $50 I wouldn't have thought twice to pick up Aayla, Ki Adi, Rebel Fleet Trooper, Stormtrooper, Captain whats his name, Admiral, etc. Now, I'm not getting any of them.

Its not that $15 more for Aayla would kill me, but just like you, that jump triggered something where I'm saying, "hey thats 2 brand new video games that could give me months of entertainment" or "thats a car payment".

$50 for a toy is still a lot of money, but the final alarm just wan't blaring in my ear at $50. Now it is.

Problem is who is gonna do the 'proper paint' ? if SS has shown anything in its previous releases, its that its downhill from this point anyway !

The completist in me will probably get him, but I dont want to be buying figures looking at what needs changing to make it right !

I can do that with Hasbro 12 inchers for 1/3 of the price

I have to agree with Kuzeh theres more Tbag in the preview than Piet !

and Im sure that a repaint will make him more Piet looking but FFS why do i have to start repainting $80 figures or paying an extra $50 (and waiting 12 months in a SSF customisers que) to make them look like who they are supposed to be ?

The one thing that had to be right with this figure (afterall with Praji theyve showed that the tailoring works) was the sculpt ! and not to start a flame or anything but you all know that had HT done the sculpt it would look like Piet not Tbag

Exactly, with things as they are right now, I'd expect an almost perfect figure out of the box...
No repaints at least...
As I said, throw this guy in a jumpsuit and instant T-bag!

Oh,I'm looking forward to this repaint, you betcha!

2914596719_b01210579c.jpg

J/k

I know some on here won't have a bad word said against Sideshow, but this figure is truely and utterly the biggest pile of crap they have served up to date. Everything about it is wrong.

I'm waiting for Sideshow to admit there mistake and tell us its not Piett it's meant to be Admiral XXXX.

Anyone who gets this figure and thinks theres a likeness to the actor, seriously should consider the $90 $ide$how will not doubt try and steal from us for this figure, and buy a pair of new glasses instead!!

While I don't agree with them keep churning out minor characters, if they do insisit on it, at least make a little effort. I could give my 3 year old nephew and lump of play dough, and he'd get a closer resemlance to Kenneth Colley that whoever was reasonable for this sculpt did. In fact why not just stick a rehash of the Episode 4 Leia head on it, it wouldn't be much further away from what they've managed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send sideshow a firm message, and DO NOT BUY THIS FIGURE. Demand they make a little more effort than none in their future releases!

This looks like a nice, generic officer. That likeness looks nothing like the actor...the main issue is the mouth, cheek...no paint job can make that sculpt look like that character.

The thing that I don't like about it is they have made him have a very steely and ruthless look about it which he didn't have. Therein lies the biggest problem IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back