ACI Toys: 1/6 ARAGORN (Improved Production Copy updated!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of the Aragorn figures released so far, my favorite "hair" rendition has been from Sideshow. It's not perfect but does capture how the wet/greasy hair looked most of the time and doesn't take away from the rest of the figure.

Lol!
You can't be serious ! :lol
"Tootsie Roll" hair!

"Tootsie Roll Hair" Good one! :lol

But I still prefer it to the different renditions released so far.

Aragorn 1.jpg

Aragorn 2.jpg

Legolas, on the other hand, definitely would benefit from a different hair application! :slap

Sorry to necro-post, but if anyone is looking for this figure, I've got the Special Edition Aragorn near mint available. PM's welcomed. Cheers.

I've continued to upgrade and update my ACI Aragorn since I "completed" him last fall, but have only just started posting pics and descriptions recently. I encourage anyone who's interested to visit my thread over at OSW to see more detailed descriptions. However, I wanted to post a few pics here as well.
P1050921.JPGP1050923.JPGP1050933.JPGP1050929.JPGP1060007.JPGP1060035.jpg

A few new Asmus parts, esp. the boots. New SS cloak; new body; hair slightly reworked. Please visit the thread for details.

Tankgirlfuzzy has inspired me to work on this guy. I'm no stylist, but I'm snipping away on that hair. Repaint next. Don't see the need for the upward stare from the movie poster. Eyebrows need reshaping. Chin has to peek through the beard.

If I do a bad job with the paint brush...off to a master he goes.

trimmed_zpsws6y1gjz.jpg

Hello Tank Girl, thank you for sharing the pictures, you came with one of the very best Aragorn I saw, you did a tremendous job. I already loved what you did, especially with the weathering. The new body is just perfect, much more natural (espacially with the shoulders as you said, and the lenght of the arms) the new haircut is great, and the Asmus's boots + SS cloak are a super upgrade !
You did a great job also on the Helm's Deep version, the chainmail is quite realistic. But I don't like Asmus's headsculpt as much as ACI's, just my opinion. ;)
Thank you, and huge congrats !! :)

Thanks guys! It's great to hear when my work inspires others to try working on their figures to improve them. I tend to lose interest in the few figures I buy and display out of the box, no matter how nice. But the ones I customize or build are the ones I take pride in and enjoy the most!

Gruff Old Bear, that looks pretty good! Remember to put the head back on the body as you're working to test hair length so you don't go too far. I always cut with the head attached to a spare nude so I get a sense of where the shoulders are. Also, you're braver than me to attempt a full repaint. I'm content to tinker with beards and hair and shade the skin tone with an airbrush, but a total repaint is something I've yet to do.

Neko, thanks for your very kind words! In fact it was you and your analysis from several pages back almost a year ago about the body that made me realize a new body would only improve it. So when I found a good replacement for a good price (the COO; I don't like spending $50-$80 on just a nude body) I quickly upgraded. So, you might say I owe you one!

Yes, I like the ACI head better too, but the Asmus is not bad once you fix the head. Neither is perfect, but they are both good in different ways. The Asmus has a very bland but contemplative expression, and is more accurate in the jawline. It's great for posing Aragorn at rest. The ACI has a very determined expression with those upward looking eyes and is more accurate in the cheekbones and wider-set eyes. It's awesome for dynamic poses. They clearly meant for the head to be tilted forward for the eyes to look straight ahead.

Just got one today. Watched tons of reviews, videos and pictures before i made up my mind. This figure is so well made! The materials, tailoring, weathering, etc. WOW! And i didn't have any problem with the hair, just needed a little bit of gel.

008.jpg
048.jpg
049.jpg

After seeing Tank Girl Fuzzy's work on Aragorn and the use of the Sideshow cloak - I wanted to give my Aragorn the more green look for his. I know the film has it as grey but it seems to shift colours and I found a material that is grey/green and changes with the light. Anyway, here we go:

Thanks guys! It's great to hear when my work inspires others to try working on their figures to improve them. I tend to lose interest in the few figures I buy and display out of the box, no matter how nice. But the ones I customize or build are the ones I take pride in and enjoy the most!

Gruff Old Bear, that looks pretty good! Remember to put the head back on the body as you're working to test hair length so you don't go too far. I always cut with the head attached to a spare nude so I get a sense of where the shoulders are. Also, you're braver than me to attempt a full repaint. I'm content to tinker with beards and hair and shade the skin tone with an airbrush, but a total repaint is something I've yet to do.

Neko, thanks for your very kind words! In fact it was you and your analysis from several pages back almost a year ago about the body that made me realize a new body would only improve it. So when I found a good replacement for a good price (the COO; I don't like spending $50-$80 on just a nude body) I quickly upgraded. So, you might say I owe you one!

Yes, I like the ACI head better too, but the Asmus is not bad once you fix the head. Neither is perfect, but they are both good in different ways. The Asmus has a very bland but contemplative expression, and is more accurate in the jawline. It's great for posing Aragorn at rest. The ACI has a very determined expression with those upward looking eyes and is more accurate in the cheekbones and wider-set eyes. It's awesome for dynamic poses. They clearly meant for the head to be tilted forward for the eyes to look straight ahead.

Tankgirl,

AWESOME Aragorn first and foremost. what body did you move him over too?

After seeing Tank Girl Fuzzy's work on Aragorn and the use of the Sideshow cloak - I wanted to give my Aragorn the more green look for his. I know the film has it as grey but it seems to shift colours and I found a material that is grey/green and changes with the light. Anyway, here we go:

That looks fantastic - great job! :clap

Back