ACI Toys: 1/6 ARAGORN (Improved Production Copy updated!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: [ACI TOYS] 1/6 LORD OF THE RINGS - ARAGORN (Improved Production Copy updated!)

Bryan at ACI commented on this over at OSW, and he pretty much feels that rooted hair is the future and the way to go with any character who has longer hair, so rooted is the way they are going with this figure. I agree with him.

It's a choice but I have so many doubts about rooted hair in the long term. We're paying to much money for a 1/6 figure. I don't want to have bad issues after a year.

Re: [ACI TOYS] 1/6 LORD OF THE RINGS - ARAGORN (Improved Production Copy updated!)

It's a choice but I have so many doubts about rooted hair in the long term. We're paying to much money for a 1/6 figure. I don't want to have bad issues after a year.

I think it will be like clothing of figures. Use them too much and they will get wrinkled and ugly. I used this on purpose with my BRJoker.

Hair same thing. Futz and never touch again untill you really want to pose him differently.

Unless you actually PLAY with these things in which case more power to you! :lol

I think it will be like clothing of figures. Use them too much and they will get wrinkled and ugly. I used this on purpose with my BRJoker.

Hair same thing. Futz and never touch again untill you really want to pose him differently.

I think so. But I also have some bad experiences. For example Hot Toys Hellboy figure. I just posed it just once. And it stays like it 2 years. And now the leather pants are peeling. I even cannot touch it.

On the other hand rooted hair make the figure looks more like toy. That's my opinion. I don't have any figure with rooted hair and I don't prefer a rooted haired figure. It does not match with others.

On the other hand rooted hair make the figure looks more like toy.
Did not know people have sculpted hair in real life.
You actually nailed it:
I don't have any figure with rooted hair and I don't prefer a rooted haired figure. It does not match with others.

Companies make many female characters with rotted hair for long, why not make it for male characters with long hair? If there are ways to make it look decent and screen accurate, what is the problem, except our habits?

My main concern about this figure is it's paint. The first version did not present the almost perfect sculpt nicely, that's the area that needs to be improved.

Did not know people have sculpted hair in real life.

I did not know people which made from plastic or polystone either. I don't mean the reality. I'm talking about being in unity. It's a collectible. Not a toy. In a scaled figure a nonscaled rooted hair does not appear as a whole. I know the hair of the figure also scaled but not same scale with the figure itself. It looks like a wig. Also with a sculpted facial hair, rooted hair does not match.

As I said before it's just my opinion.

I did not know people which made from plastic or polystone either. I don't mean the reality. I'm talking about being in unity. It's a collectible. Not a toy. In a scaled figure a nonscaled rooted hair does not appear as a whole. I know the hair of the figure also scaled but not same scale with the figure itself. It looks like a wig. Also with a sculpted facial hair, rooted hair does not match.

I agree with you here, always would prefer sculpted hair! Then again, I also like to delude myself in thinking these crazy expensive figures couldn't have anything remotely to do with "toys"! :lol

Some people seem to be getting hostile don't they.:lol

That's what I'm saying. This idea that US sellers are being greedy, or that they are putting significant markup, on this figure is just not true. There is no more markup on this figure than there is any other figure. ACI needs to get a new distributor that can get these shipped worldwide without adding significant cost to US retailers.

They cannot or, better said, aren't allowed to. They only have the rights for Hong Kong so they cannot distribute wholesale to the US or Europe

A kind of new picture:
Jq1u773VUo.jpg

:lol not my cup of tea

Somebody needs to work on their masking technique in Photoshop. Or get a Topaz masking plug-in.

But at last we can see the face. It's a very good likeness of VM to my eye.

I'm not digging the rooted hair in that new photo - ugh. But I think the likeness is great with one glaring issue...that wrinkled forehead! The rest of the face is relatively smooth, there's no extreme expression going on, and yet his forehead looks like he's a Shar Pei. From the forehead down, he looks great.

I think it's still off, but I think that's the best we're going to get. The forhead is a bit wrinkled and high.

I think it's really the paint. It's accentuating those wrinkles - you can see it. Make that a smooth paint job with no highlights, that should be fine. I think the problem of likeness is the lightening done to the photo too...this is, though, one of those figures that I can't decide if it's great or meh.

I hope they add more details to the neck area though. That neck looks like wood.

On this photo, he looks OK:
attachment.php

quite close to this shot:
attachment.php

It all depends on light.

And the figure has shorter hair than in the movie, just a slightly, but shorter.
Making wrinkles less prominent would improve the sculpt too.
And the tree on his bracers should be painted silver:
Aragorn-in-the-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-aragorn-34519237-563-831.jpg

That pic of the figure above looks quite real but it also looks like he just said: What did you say?

Back