Ace Toyz 1/6 Scale Power Rangers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you guys talking about Jason David Frank? What have I missed?

Wow... it sounds like I inadvertently opened up a door into an interesting part of the MMPR fandom that I knew nothing about!

Deleted my post, some of the information didnt need to be in a toy thread.

I just can’t decide if I want these or not. I mean- I do want them- but am I willing to spend that much money because, if I get even one, I’m getting them all. I’ve got all the figuarts Rangers and they should be enough but I just feel like it’ll nag at me if I don’t sign up for all these.
1/6 scale figures just make more of a statement and, for a property that defined my childhood, I feel I owe it to my younger self to get these.
So are Ace Toyz doing a payment plan for the full set?

There have always been rumors that he’s a braggadocio and difficult to work with. And in his younger days, he was supposed to be very aggressive in hitting on women in his martial arts classes. Then he found Jesus, and has since been pretty open about that, which also bothers some people.

I will say, I’ve only met him in person once a few years back, and he was an absolute gentleman – self-effacing, generous, and personable. And I admire how open and enthusiastic he is about supporting Power Rangers, even after all these years. So I know I’m working with a deceptively small sample size, but I’ve always thought the rumors were overblown.

He's chilled out in older age but still has a large ego. But he's also learned some humility. I met him too and he seemed very gracious and understands what the franchise meant to some of us. He also used to say anti-gay slurs at David Yost but they have since bonded and moved past that.

Really? I know Yost suffered a lot of homophobic abuse on set, but I was under the impression that it was from the crew and production people, and that the rumor was incorrectly applied to Frank later. I thought I had read in interviews with Yost that he purposely chose not to come out to any of the other actors, and that Frank didn’t know when they were working together. If I’m wrong, I apologize. Both of these guys meant so much to my youth, I do want to think the best of them and that they’re happy now, so I may also be looking at this through rose-tinted glasses.

Really? I know Yost suffered a lot of homophobic abuse on set, but I was under the impression that it was from the crew and production people, and that the rumor was incorrectly applied to Frank later. I thought I had read in interviews with Yost that he purposely chose not to come out to any of the other actors, and that Frank didn’t know when they were working together. If I’m wrong, I apologize. Both of these guys meant so much to my youth, I do want to think the best of them and that they’re happy now, so I may also be looking at this through rose-tinted glasses.

Regardless of what happened, it's in the past. No need to apologize if you're wrong or not too. Keep looking through those rose-tinted glasses cause I know exactly how you feel and I have a pair of rose-tinted glasses for the power rangers myself.

I've seen an old behind the scenes video where JDF refers to him as "Gayvid" to his face. Yost gives him a pretty sharp death stare in return.

Yost may not have officially come out, but some people don't have to for you to just know.

I've also heard that Frank did like to bully people, once putting a bug in Yost's sandwich and rubbing his butt on Steve Cardenas' face while he was taking a nap. Also, Amy Jo Johnson more or less confirmed that they hooked up at some point.

Last edited:
I've seen an old behind the scenes video where JDF refers to him as "Gayvid" to his face. Yost gives him a pretty sharp death stare in return.
This is one of the reasons people disliked JDF. And to be honest i think its unfair. Because it didnt happen unprovoked. And people recap the scene as you just did, with that one sentence and no context.

JDF " photobombed " the screen during an interview with Yost and Trang for 3 seconds saying " who is your favorie ranger, green green green " because he knew it was going out to kids and wanted to be jovial and light hearted. But when JDF leaned in to say who is your favorite ranger David Yost pushed him with full force by the neck out of the way, mean mugged him and then said " hit me ". JDF flipped him the bird off camera, called him Gayvid then went to do his scene. Yost took a silly, annoying, but light hearted situation and tried to make it violent.

But this is where people cant separate character from the people and the narrative of the situation gets distorted by an agenda. People love the Billy character, but some people hate that the Tommy character because he got all the cool suits and toys and often overshadowed the other characters. So given the choice between assaulting a guy, and calling the guy a name they opted for name calling being the more serious of the crimes because of who the 2 characters/actors are. And the tale gets told for years, the narrative is given than JDF is a bad man, not that David Yost stepped way over the line boarding on assaulting him in the first place.

The fact JDF has a mental disorder gets swept under the rug because people dislike his character. It directly affects his behavior and thats why he is the way he is.

When JDF started to tell stories about Austin St John claiming he killed people in the octogan on set was met with hate for JDF because people love the character Jason. Even though its well known Austin St John was a drama queen, Trashed his dressing room and refused to shake JDF's hand on JDF's first day on set because he had the name " Jason " and there was now 3 Jasons in the cast (Geiger, Narvy and Frank). Austin St Johns real name is Jason ironically, but changed it to Austin St John in a hissy fit.

Theres just so much character assassination on JDF its unreal. He brings some of it on himself, but most of it is span through the fandom telling half truths and having bias.

Last edited:
Bn8iDNFIAAEdQ1Y.jpg
Don't push it. Let it go.

tumblr_mj043y8yzm1s6y8w9o1_500.gif

Don't push it. Let it go.

tumblr_mj043y8yzm1s6y8w9o1_500.gif

And then you get guys like Riddick, who cant retort to anything i just said because its all truths and had to resort to comical images because they literally have nothing to say. They cannot attack the message, so they attack the messenger. Its all very basic and predictable behavior. If you do defend JDF or the character you are met with fanboy, and eye rolling. Last ditch attempts to hurt the person who just hurt you and belittle the message. So the whole "why is JDF hated" argument cant be answered simply with a logical reason, because theres such an agenda behind it in the first place that there is no logic. And to uncover the truth you end up going down the rabbit hole to uncover it all. None of what i just wrote will matter to people pre-disposed to hating the guy. But id like people to make their minds up for themselves. I think JDF is an ass, Tommy isnt my favorite character. Hate him, but do it honestly.

This is one of the reasons people disliked JDF. And to be honest i think its unfair. Because it didnt happen unprovoked. And people recap the scene as you just did, with that one sentence and no context.

JDF " photobombed " the screen during an interview with Yost and Trang for 3 seconds saying " who is your favorie ranger, green green green " because he knew it was going out to kids and wanted to be jovial and light hearted. But when JDF leaned in to say who is your favorite ranger David Yost pushed him with full force by the neck out of the way, mean mugged him and then said " hit me ". JDF flipped him the bird off camera, called him Gayvid then went to do his scene. Yost took a silly, annoying, but light hearted situation and tried to make it violent.

But this is where people cant separate character from the people and the narrative of the situation gets distorted by an agenda. People love the Billy character, but some people hate that the Tommy character because he got all the cool suits and toys and often overshadowed the other characters. So given the choice between assaulting a guy, and calling the guy a name they opted for name calling being the more serious of the crimes because of who the 2 characters/actors are. And the tale gets told for years, the narrative is given than JDF is a bad man, not that David Yost stepped way over the line boarding on assaulting him in the first place.

The fact JDF has a mental disorder gets swept under the rug because people dislike his character. It directly affects his behavior and thats why he is the way he is.

When JDF started to tell stories about Austin St John claiming he killed people in the octogan on set was met with hate for JDF because people love the character Jason. Even though its well known Austin St John was a drama queen, Trashed his dressing room and refused to shake JDF's hand on JDF's first day on set because he had the name " Jason " and there was now 3 Jasons in the cast (Geiger, Narvy and Frank). Austin St Johns real name is Jason ironically, but changed it to Austin St John in a hissy fit.

Theres just so much character assassination on JDF its unreal. He brings some of it on himself, but most of it is span through the fandom telling half truths and having bias.

to be honest, most of us who aren't into the show only cared about Green Ranger. coz he's badass. the rest of the rangers apart from Red are pretty much forgettable.

And that is why when I hear stories of Yost being heavily bullied because he was gay vs. the stories of JDF and the crew defending themselves saying that they didn't even know he was gay and Yost was just difficult to work with, Id say that the truth was somewhere in the middle.

I'm sure that Yost was met with bullying and discrimination throughout his lifetime. But I do think that this amount of bullying left him with a victim complex and very defensive. Suddenly every joke (And calling someone "gay" was a common lighthearted insult back then. Kind if like calling someone a girl) is taken as serious bigotry that must be angrily stood up to. This probably made him come off as overdramatic to the people who didn't know of his orientation, which ironically just led to less respect and more teasing. Just kind of a vicious cycle that led Yost to feeling overwhelmingly discriminated against.

Thats not to say JDF wasn't an egotistical ass that didn't know when to stop and chill out (almost everyone in that cast couldn't stand him), but Yost could have benefited from a bit of perspective and humility himself. At the very least things didn't have to get as out of control as they did.

Something tells me someone announcing at on the set "Hey everyone, just a heads up that one of our cast members; David Yost is gay. He is a bit sensitive about this issue, so please try and avoid any insults or jokes that may be taken as homophobic", would have done wonders here.

Last edited:

**** him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back