Absolute DC Books

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I love the Absolute format, I just wish the books weren't printed in China. Personally I just don't like the paper and ink they use there.

Is there an Absolute Year One?

"Batman: Year One" would probably be a little too light for an Absolute edition. I think they could do a volume compiling a greatest hits type book though and wouldn't be surprised if they did. I'd like a HC edition of "Batgirl: Year One". Doubt they would do a Absolute of it, but it's one of, if not my favorite Year One stories.

"Batman: Year One" would probably be a little too light for an Absolute edition. I think they could do a volume compiling a greatest hits type book though and wouldn't be surprised if they did. I'd like a HC edition of "Batgirl: Year One". Doubt they would do a Absolute of it, but it's one of, if not my favorite Year One stories.

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I just want a really nice version of it. They could probably do a lot of cool filler material for it though.

If you have a Borders bookstore near you, I highly recommend that a). You get the Borders rewards card and b). check your email regularly. I just got an email with a 40% off any book in the store coupon good till Monday. I plan for when these coupons come out because it's when I get all my fancy art, movie and reference books. I know Borders carry Absolute books, might be a good time to get out there and do some hunting.
do you have to pay for this?? i'm a barnes and noble member, but i don't ever recall seeing an Absolute book on their shelves. my LCS has 25% off all graphic novels in the store, but 40% is worth checking out for sure.
well they are putting the Green Lantern : Rebirth (6 issues) story in Absolute so i don't think length is an issue as long as they include a lot of extras that will help offset the price of the book.

I don't even think the regular hardcover is still in print, and I can't bring myself to buy a paperback.

The DC website still lists the "Batman: Year One Deluxe Edition," which is hardcover, so I can only assume that means it's still in print. Certainly a quick check on Ebay turns up a few new condition copies for retail-level prices.

well they are putting the Green Lantern : Rebirth (6 issues) story in Absolute so i don't think length is an issue as long as they include a lot of extras that will help offset the price of the book.

"Batman: Year One" is only 4 issues. I've got the HC, and even with all the extras, it's pretty slim. I'm not sure it'd work for the Absolute format either.

I'm happy with all the Absolute editions so far. (The first one I'm not excited about is the Green Lantern one-- that storyline just doesn't seem special enough for the Absolute format).

My favorites are New Frontier (just amazing), Kingdom Come, Hush, both Authority volumes, and Planetary. (The Sandman and League of Extraordinary Gentle volumes are nice too)

For you Planetary fans, my comic retailer heard this from DC: once the final issue of Planetary is released, they have plans to re-release Absolute volume one and add volume 2.

Weird little trivia, the only volume that came signed by the creator was the Danger Girl volume (which I know some of you will hate but it's a guilty pleasure of mine) It came signed and numbered by J. Scott Campbell and included an extra volume of sketches and art.

And for anyone who wants the complete list:
Authority Volume 1 (tough to find)
Authority Volume 2
Batman: Hush
Dark Knight
Batman: The Long Halloween
Crisis on Infinite Earths (has 2 volumes, excellent supplementary material)
Danger Girl (only one signed by the creator)
New Frontier (Justice League)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1 (has companion script book)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 2 (has companion script book)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier (this one is NOT worth paying full price for, so get it cheap)
Kingdom Come
Absolute Planetary 1
Sandman 1
Sandman 2
Sandman 3
Sandman 4
Ronin
Superman: For Tomorrow
Watchmen (amazing of course, only the first printing has the smiley face on the cover/slipcase. Later printings have the doomsday clock)

Books that are like Absolute, just not called that:
World's Greatest Super-Heroes (Alex Ross art)
JLA/Avengers: Collector's Edition

Coming this year:
Death
Justice (Alex Ross art, should be nice)
Promethea (I really like this Alan Moore series, fantastic art too)
V For Vendetta

Coming next year:
Green Lantern: Rebirth

I think that's complete, hope it helps.

"Batman: Year One" is only 4 issues. I've got the HC, and even with all the extras, it's pretty slim. I'm not sure it'd work for the Absolute format either.
yeah i agree it is rather light on the material, but the GL: Rebirth retail price has been adjusted accordingly because that's also a really small book. i really just want these books because these are supposed to be THE versions to own of the respective books.

i've got 3 on the way as of today and luckily i've been able to score them for about $45 each instead of the crazy prices i've seen at the LCS. the only one's i'd be wiling to pay full price for are the GL : Rebirth and the V for Vendetta books because i'm recently a GL fanboy and V for Vendetta is one of my all-time favorite books.

I like them for the larger size - you can really appreciate the art better. I have the Superman one, but the story doesn't really deserve the special treatment. The art however looks great.

totally agree!!! just wanted to know about the story, but i'll find out when the book arrives.

The story is very cool, basically it's the Justice League vs. The Legion of Doom drawn/painted by Alex Ross. GL is in it so you should enjoy it!

BTW hairlesswookiee:
I know you said you're a recent GL fan. I'm not a huge GL fan, but my absolute favorite depiction of GL is in Justice League: The New Frontier. This absolute edition sold out pretty quick, and they just released a second printing so it's available at a good price on Amazon.

Don't let the art put you off-- I love Darwyn Cooke's art, some people don't at first but it grows on you. It's like an animated series type art.
But GL is a major player in the story, and Cooke gives Hal Jordan the most human personality I've read. I think sometimes GL comes off as a bit robotic in the comic, here you really understand what drives the character. Plus the whole story is epic-- Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, I say give it a shot.

I've got most of the Absolutes, but I've been looking for the Authority and Planetary ones for a decent price.

With the new V for Vendetta book coming out next week i'm on the quest to add some of these books to my shelf. right now i've only ordered two off of ebay with the 10% discount (Batman Long Halloween and the Dark Knight--will probably get Hush this month too) , but i'd really like some feedback on some of the other ones.
i ordered the Green Lantern: Rebirth on amazon, but what's the consensus on
Superman : For Tomorrow and the Kingdom Come books???

Hey bro,

I've got a lot of the Absolute versions, from all the Batman ones, to Kingdom Come, Superman for Tomorrow, New Frontier, etc.

I've got nothing bad to say about them :)

If you can, go to Borders.
Especially this week, there's a buy 4, get one free for graphic novels... and technically, these are in their graphic novel section, so you should be able to take advantage.

I've got most of the Absolutes, but I've been looking for the Authority and Planetary ones for a decent price.

Borders sometimes has them, and like i mentioned in the other post, they've got graphic novel deals this week.

Hey bro,

I've got a lot of the Absolute versions, from all the Batman ones, to Kingdom Come, Superman for Tomorrow, New Frontier, etc.

I've got nothing bad to say about them :)

If you can, go to Borders.
Especially this week, there's a buy 4, get one free for graphic novels... and technically, these are in their graphic novel section, so you should be able to take advantage.
Thanks man, but I just spent my wad. Kingdom Come just arrived, Long Halloween is supposed to be here tomorrow or monday, and Dark Knight will be here whenever the D-bag from Ebay sends it. :duh I won the auction on Aug. 18 and I just got a message YESTERDAY that he was mailing it out.

First I'm gonna read all of them, then I'm gonna try to pick one up every month. Next on my list is V for Vendetta followed by For Tomorrow. I'm gonna try to get a Borders membership, but since I already have a Barnes and Noble one I'm not really motivated to pay for two book store discount cards

Back